British Speedway Forum

26-08-03 BSI announces "Grand Prix for the Fans"

Guest PorkyFenman

Guest PorkyFenman

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:17 pm Post subject: 26-08-03 - BSI ANNOUNCES "GRAND PRIX FOR THE FANS"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BSI ANNOUNCES "GRAND PRIX FOR THE FANS"

A wealth of activities, competitions and promotions have been planned to ensure that Saturday’s event (30 August) will be the greatest speedway event Sweden has ever seen, including:

•A spectacular pre-show entertainment programme that will last 45 minutes before the event.

•The top five riders in the current championships standings: Tony Rickardsson, Nicki Pedersen, Leigh Adams, Jason Crump and Greg Hancock signing autographs between 1700h – 1730h on the concourse outside the stadium.

•Over 50 lucky fans will also actively participate in the event. The SGP Grid Girls will hand pick 24 supporters to accompany the 24 riders in the Rider Parade, a further 24 fans will have the chance to win an original 2003 race jacket autographed by all 24 riders and finally three fans will be picked to accompany the three winning riders on their victory parade lap and be part of the presentation ceremony.

• A reprint of the programme will be on sale at 40 SEK, half the original price, although fans can use the programme they purchased last week.

• 2,000 flags will also be distributed free amongst the crowd

• There will also be a significant discount on all official SGP merchandise on the day.

“This weekends Grand Prix is all about the fans” explains John Postlethwaite, Chief Executive, Benfield Sports International.

“We want to make up for the huge disappointment of last Saturday and give the fans something back and restore their faith in the Grand Prix Series. That is why we are dedicating this weekend’s event to the fans and planned a whole host of activities which will give supporters the speedway night of their lives.”

“Ole Olsen and his track building team have worked round the clock to get the track in top condition for Saturday night. Tony Rickardsson has been invited to test the track on Thursday evening around 1900h and the riders are adamant that they will put on a show no one will forget.”

http://www.speedwaygp.com/newhome/

what a barrel of monkey spunk

not locked

and if it's possible to have all this to try and placate people after screwing up, why the bloody hell don't they do this EVERY GP?

fans all over the place want to be entertained, and Ole Olsen has proved that it can be possible, so i expect to see entertainment offered at the remaining GP fixtures...

Guest PorkyPrimeCut

A*** ANNOUNCES "GRAND PRIX FOR THE FANS"

A wealth of activities, competitions and promotions have been planned to ensure that Saturday’s event (30 Augustish) will be the greatest speedway event Sweden has ever seen, including:

•A spectacular free-for all at the free bar during the 2 days before the event.

• Ole Olly Oxenfree getting lynched .

•The top five riders in the current championships standings: Tony Rickardson, Nicki Pederson, Leigh Adems, Jason Crimp and Greg Handcock kissing everyones hairy-lipped mums as a moral boosting suck-up .

•Over 50 unlucky fans will also actively participate in the event.

• A reprint of the programme will be on sale at 160 SEK, twice the original price, although fans can use the programme they purchased last week , but that will be deemed traitorous .

• 2,000 Iraqi flags will also be distributed free amongst the crowd

• There will also be a significant discount on all official SGP drugs purchased at the track .

“These weekends Grand Prix's are all about fleecing the fans” explains Johnny Mingmong , head of Bone You Sports Fans Inc.

“We want to make up for the huge disappointment of last Saturday , so we will be showing 'Carry On Up The Khyber' , instead .

It's ok doing all this wonderful stuff for all the fans that attend this weekend they are going to have a trip of a lifetime to a GP, what about the poor sods you can't afford to go back a second time and benefit from the "Cock-up" of last weeks GP and also last but not least what about the fans at home that pay for SKY not just for the speedway as let's face it we get a meeting most weeks but the GP is something else.........except this week we can't watch it, cos someone messed with the track and it was cancelled :evil: so when are we at home likely to watch it then :?: Come on Mr Posselwhite what about the fans at home! Do we get any sort of benefit from the 2nd round of this Grand Prix :!: :?: Oh yes we can all go to our "Local" tracks mine being 1hr 30mins away and watch a couple of made up teams as the main riders we were going to watch are on GP duty because of a major "COCK UP" Last week but not on the fans part there only fault was having their money wasted on travel not too mention the holiday they had taken from work........

My god ya started me off there didn't ya :P;)

I couldnt agree more - Saturday night was a farce and by announcing this GP for the fans this week its like rubbing salt in the wounds. There is no way I can get back to Gothenburg for this weekend and feel that Im missing out. Maybe we need to bring this to Mr P's attention. I heard that he lost nearly £2million as a result of Saturday so surely some freebie tickets for next year wouldnt hurt that much for us poor souls who travelled all that way. Oh just pass me a soap box - I could talk about this all day!!!!

For a minute I thought John Poshbloke had pulled off a major coup... according to the GP website Swedens premier rock act is opening the whole show... hes gone and got Abba to reform!!!!

But no its Bobby Wells and his orchestra, which sounds like a James Last tribute band!

Now if he had got Swedens top act he would have surely booked The Cardigans with the gorgeous Nina Persson.

Anyone know what happens if the Swedish GP gets rained / rutted off this weekend? :evil:

Hopefully there will be a special 'one-off' (winner crowned on the night!) Roman Gladiators show where John Poshbloke, King Ole and Phil 'SKY can do no wrong' Rising pit their wits in a airhorn battle to the death with 30,000 peed off speedway fans.

Although Poshbloke would probably cry off, insisting on a Swedish stand-in, claiming its not his air horn anyway.... Could happen.

We know now who was at fault for the mess on Saturday, they should be taken to court, and face the consequences. However as far as I can see, BSI took the correct action on the night and have acted proffesionaly in what they have organised since. It is easy to mock, but what else could they do to pick up the pieces they were left with?

Guest PorkyPrimeCut
It is easy to mock

To easy , with so much ammo .

but what else could they do to pick up the pieces they were left with?

Publicly execute Ole Rsole then pay off everyones mortgages/debts and then do my hoovering (my fridge also needs defrosting ) .

I heard that he lost nearly £2million as a result of Saturday so surely some freebie tickets for next year wouldnt hurt that much

:roll: Do you honestly believe BSI makes or loses millions on each Speedway Grand Prix? Unless you are talking Polish Zlotys of course.

Personally I think it was a cock-up on Saturday. But it is not the first time and won't be the last that a big sporting event has not been able to go ahead on time. At least the organisers are acknowledging they let the fans down and are doing something about it.

Is there anybody out there who did actually attend last Saturday or are you all just p***ed off that you couldn't sit back and watch another televised GP - which you would never have beeen able to do anyway if it wasn't for BSI :?:

I actually did attend last Saturday aqnd in common with others there were far from happy. It was pretty obvious on Friday the meeting had to be in doubt and the top dressing put on the track on Saturday was not the answer

I was there on Saturday, my first GP abroad. Gutted that we didnt see any speedway and it didnt help that my home team lost when I went to see them on Wednesday either.

We walked down to the stadium on Sunday and had a long chat with Ole. He was big on the damage limitation thing and couldnt stop saying that it wasnt the riders decision to not race but theirs. They didnt want the racing to go ahead and someone get hurt and then have to stop. It was interesting to hear what he had to say and thats where the figure of £2 million loss to BSI was mentioned.

It doesnt make up for last week but the offer of a free ticket for next year is some consellation I suppose. I'll be more annoyed if Scotty wins his first GP this weekend and I miss it!!!

Guest PorkyFenman
Is there anybody out there who did actually attend last Saturday

As the various postings across related threads have shown , not all British GP fans stayed at home.

are you all just p***ed off that you couldn't sit back and watch another televised GP

I wasn't , as I got to watch a classic episode of Kojak , in which , surprisingly , the butler did it .

I was p***ed off because it was an embarrassment . Would obviously have immediate negative consequences to domestic racing , highlighting what a farce the Elite league has become and , again , it was EMBARRASSING .

PF. No all fans didn't stay at home and I have the greatest sympathy for Gredon and Raquelle. Raquelle even got the chance to speak to the Race Director - who to his credit - was willing to speak at length with a fan about the situation, at a pretty difficult time.

There are few others who have owned up to going though. And if BSI hadn't shook up the sport and got Speedway back on the box on live primetime, maybe they'd all be joining you on a Saturday night for a nice mug of horlicks and an episode of Kojak. ;):D