British Speedway Forum

Nelson Admirals

KevH

Can anyone tell me who were the promoters of the Admirals in their short stay in Division Two in the late 60's please?

It was Mike Parker and Bill Bridgett. My old pal Jack Winstanley rode for them.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Edited by speedyguy

Les Whaley was only involved at Bradford Odsal, this was after Nelson had shut. I remember this very well, because Teesside refused to continue after a few heats at Nelson due to track conditions. It was ruled that the rerun was at Bradford due to Nelson having closed. Prior to the first meeting I along with several others walked from the start line with a bucket picking up stones, when we reached the pits which where just before the 1st bend everyone had a full bucket.

Les Whaley was only involved at Bradford Odsal, this was after Nelson had shut. I remember this very well, because Teesside refused to continue after a few heats at Nelson due to track conditions. It was ruled that the rerun was at Bradford due to Nelson having closed. Prior to the first meeting I along with several others walked from the start line with a bucket picking up stones, when we reached the pits which where just before the 1st bend everyone had a full bucket.

Behave harry ....It wasn't that bad..... your lads just didn't fancy it.

Glad to see you alive and kicking.... best wishes.

They were good days eh....

I have found this one page website about Nelson.

http://www.tibspeedway.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/nelsonad.htm

I found the website but could not get any of the 'sidebars' to open. Nor could I see, in case it was needed to do this, an enrolment log-in?

I know,a bit frustrating really.

Thats why I put a 'one page' Website.

Sadly,there doesnt appear to be another Website relating to the Team.

Well what I did read was most interesting. Thanks a lot.

Hi Bob C

Yes I already knew about your website which appears to be unique in covering Nelson, I will provide a link to it on the Nelson page on my site.

Hopefully I will get the much wanted photos etc of Nelson for www.defunctspeedway.co.uk I am convinced that there are people out there who will have photos programmes etc in their collection for Nelson and other defunct tracks.

if you can scan anything and email it to me it would be a great help

email jskinner06@btinternet.com

Edited by dantodan

Hi Bob C

Yes I already knew about your website which appears to be unique in covering Nelson, I will provide a link to it on the Nelson page on my site.

Hopefully I will get the much wanted photos etc of Nelson for www.defunctspeedway.co.uk I am convinced that there are people out there who will have photos programmes etc in their collection for Nelson and other defunct tracks.

if you can scan anything and email it to me it would be a great help

email  jskinner06@btinternet.com

Nice to see you keeping up the good work John. See ya in the new season. :lol:

:blink::blink:

Hi Bob C

Hi John,

The Nelson site is NOTHING to do with me.Sadly it appears to be the only reference site around regarding them.I dont know the guy who has set it up,but I hope he continues to develop it.

However,I am hoping to get up that way this season sometime.If I do,and get some pics,I will happily post them for you.

Keep up the good work on your own Website as well.Ive found it very informative.

Hi Bob C

Thanks for putting me right about that Nelson webpage.

I have a photo on the name the rider page of a vets race at rye house in which Kenny Smith wears the admirals jacket, apart from that, not a lot to go on YET

Hi Tsunami

If you speak to Kenny ask him please, if he has anything from his days at Nelson

Hi Bob C

Thanks for putting me right about that Nelson webpage. 

I have a photo on the name the rider page of a vets race at rye house in which Kenny Smith wears the admirals jacket, apart from that, not a lot to go on YET

Hi Tsunami

If you speak to Kenny ask him please, if he has anything from his days at Nelson

OK, will be ringing him tomorrow. :D

:blink::blink:

Edited by Tsunami

• 7 years later...

Doing a bit of research on Nelson but I'm getting conflicting information, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a couple of things.

Nelson moved to Odsal in 1970. Why? Was it poor crowds and fixture congestion as stated in Homes of British Speedway, or a walkout, as suggested in a post on the defunct speedway site?

Also, HoBS says "they (Nelson) completed their fixtures as Bradford Northern." This suggests they were still their own team, but the league table suggests the two teams merged?

Doing a bit of research on Nelson but I'm getting conflicting information, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a couple of things.

Nelson moved to Odsal in 1970. Why? Was it poor crowds and fixture congestion as stated in Homes of British Speedway, or a walkout, as suggested in a post on the defunct speedway site?

Also, HoBS says "they (Nelson) completed their fixtures as Bradford Northern." This suggests they were still their own team, but the league table suggests the two teams merged?

try jack lee , (ex Buxton TM and now Sheffield TM) he rode for Nelson , he is on here as Rider Slider
  • Like 1