British Speedway Forum

Boston

KevH

I only visited New Hammond Beck Road once, and it was one of the coldest nights that I've ever watched speedway.

If I remember correctly, the track had sea-shells amongst the shale, but that could just be my memory playing tricks........can anyone confirm?

Arthur Price and Carl Glover are two names who'll always be associated with the Barracudas, along with Rob Hollingworth, Michael Lee, Gary Gugliemi and Steve Lomas.

I met Steve (in Croatia, of all places) last year and he's a thoroughly nice bloke. I know he held the track record there at the start of the 1986 season, but did he still hold it when the track sadly closed?

And has anyone else got any memories from Boston?

Claiming the Mushy Peas 'n Mint sauce cartons eating record on a Crayford trip - 21 in total! Air was rather pungent on coach on the home journey! :wink::lol::P

I met Steve (Lomas) (in Croatia, of all places) last year and he's a thoroughly nice bloke. I know he held the track record there at the start of the 1986 season, but did he still hold it when the track sadly closed?

Just bringing this back to the top in the hope that someone can help?

Just bringing this back to the top in the hope that someone can help?

I remember a phone call with Steve Lomas in the late 1980s when he told me he was taking part in winter sand race events on the beach somewhere. So far back, I can't remember anything else about this venture. I beleive the racing was on a beach somewhere in East Anglia. :unsure:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Edited by speedyguy

Steve has competed several times in the Short Track UK series over past three years..

But the question Kev wanted answering is, did Mr. Lomas hold the New Hammond Beck track record on that track's closure..? :unsure:

Methinx, Mimmo will be attracted to this post's evocative title before too long and will then reveal all!! ;)

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

Claiming the Mushy Peas 'n Mint sauce cartons eating record on a Crayford trip - 21 in total! Air was rather pungent on coach on the home journey!  :wink:  :lol:  :P

Crikey Bryn, I'd forgotten about those, the Stall was at the Pits end of the Grandstand I think.

Holly was Skipper, and I took my young Brother in Law there a few times when he was a Kid - he's 40 now. ;)

Oh well, Teeth in the Steradent and off to Bed - well it is nearly half past eight. :o

Night Night - Crouch.

I was at that last meeting, if my memory is still working, I think it was a 23 - 55 result to Eastbourne, I have a bit of film from it, poor quality, but good memory.

Also remember Boston becomming the first team to beat the Eagles in 71 ( I think) days of Jim Ryman and Russell Osborne?

Certainly was shells allove rthe terracing and car park.