British Speedway Forum

Speedway's Most-travelled Riders

chunky

:D

Norbold, I didn't mention Norwich with Wal Morton pre-war as the Stars were listed in Moxey63's listing of his post-war tracks. Wal had enough teams  without any "doubling-up".

With the all 'return visits' Norwich, Wimbledon, Bradford, West Ham - how many teams did he ride for?

Don't forget his brief 1964 Metropolitan League spell!

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some records get blurred by adding guest bookings. George Major's teams were as follows :  1959/60 Aldershot. Also open bookings with Yarmouth and St. Austell. 1961  Signed Oxford (Promoter Dicky Worth) Loaned to Newcastle. 1962 Loaned to Neath. 1963 Loaned to St. Austell. 1964 Signed Oxford (Rodney & ?) then to Norwich, swapped for Jimmy Gooch. Cradley Heath ( breakaway league 64/65) 1966/7 Sheffield (rider control) 1968/9 Leicester (transfer request) 1969/70 Oxford (Danny Dunton) 1970 Div 2 Doncaster, 1971/75 Birmingham.  So how many teams is that then. :wink:

According to Peter Morrish's British Speedway Leagues 1946-64 George Major did not appear in an NL fixture for Norwich. Of course, this may be an error, and if anyone could correct this with some concrete evidence, I would be grateful.

Also, looking through The Complete History of the British League, George is recorded as appearing once for Belle Vue (1971), once for Glasgow (1972), and finally for Wolverhampton in both 1972 and 1973.

Neither of these publications include guest appearances.

Steve

With the all 'return visits' Norwich, Wimbledon, Bradford, West Ham - how many teams did he ride for?

What I have for Wal Morton so far is:

Bradford

Coventry

Glasgow WC

Hackney

Harringay

Ipswich

Liverpool

Middlesbrough

Newcastle

Norwich

Odsal

West Ham

Weymouth

Wimbledon

It has also been claimed elsewhere that he appeared for Motherwell, although I have been unable to find confirmation of that.

Steve

:D

You are correct Chunky - George Major signed for Norwich but only rode in "Easter Cup" and "Britannia Cup" matches for us. His team slot was eventually filled by Sandor Levai by the time the League got underway in the 1964 season. George went back to the Provincial "Black" League as I recall riding for Cradley.

You are correct Chunky - George Major signed for Norwich but only rode in "Easter Cup" and "Britannia Cup" matches for us.

Thanks for that. Of course, I would think that the Britannia Cup would count as an "official" fixture, so I will include Norwich in the list.

Steve

Also, looking through The Complete History of the British League, George is recorded as appearing once for Belle Vue (1971), once for Glasgow (1972), and finally for Wolverhampton in both 1972 and 1973.

Neither of these publications include guest appearances.

Steve

Might not have been called "guest" but they were one off rides. George was in the second division by then. these teams were a rider short for some reason and used a div 2 rider. There was some controversy when George wanted to drop down and ride for Doncaster as he was considered to good for the lower league, however no first div club came in for him so eventually he was allowed to go. So he would probably have been considered a good stand in. :wink:

Might not have been called "guest" but they were one off rides. George was in the second division by then. these teams were a rider short for some reason and used a div 2 rider. There was some controversy when George wanted to drop down and ride for Doncaster as he was considered to good for the lower league, however no first div club came in for him so eventually he was allowed to go. So he would probably have been considered a good stand in. :wink:

This is where we could have a problem... I do know that George was in Div 2, and I know that they were apparently one-offs. However, as they were not regarded as guest appearances by the said publication, I am reluctant to classify them as such. I know where you're coming from, but even back then, there were deals being done between first and second division teams, both long and short term. Unless we know the specifics of each case, it is difficult to go against what is printed. Of course, I can check back through the old Speedway Stars to see what they say.

Steve

Chunky, sorry mate, I could be causing the problem. I have read your original post again and you don't say clubs contracted to, so I might be on the wrong track (no pun intended). The list I posted was taken from material compiled, supplied by George for a possible book, (put on the back burner since his heart attack eighteen months ago). These clubs, except the open licence tracks, were the ones he signed for. Oh and Brian, the California days were only practise sessions when he first bought a bike. His brother Mick also had a few spins but didn't take to it. :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

Suprised no one has mentioned Mark Loram yet.

Going of memory alone, he has ridden for

Hackney

Ipswich

Kings Lynn

Poole

Wolves

Arena Essex

Eastbourne

Exeter

any more ?

Suprised no one has mentioned Mark Loram yet.

Going of memory alone, he has ridden for

Hackney

Ipswich

Kings Lynn

Poole

Wolves

Arena Essex

Eastbourne

Exeter

any more ?

Unfortunately, even if you have missed a couple, Mark is still WELL behind the leaders. So far, we have (including new entries Featherstone, Woffinden, and Corradine) :

18 - Alan Mogridge

16 - Tony Featherstone (Boston, Bradford, Crayford, Exeter, Hackney, King's Lynn, King's Lynn II, Leicester, Long Eaton,

Milton Keynes, Newport, Peterborough, Poole, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Wolves)

16 - Wal Morton

15 - James Birkinshaw

15 - George Major

12 - Chris Julian

12 - Ken Vale

11 - Mark Burrows

11 - Reidar Eide

11 - Eric Hockaday

11 - Geoff Penniket

11 - Nigel Sparshott

11 - Rob Woffinden (Berwick, Birmingham, Boston, Edinburgh, Halifax, Middlesbrough, Milton Keynes, Rye House,

Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Stoke)

10 - Jimmy Squibb

9 - Mal Corradine (Birmingham, Cradley, Doncaster, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Oxford, Stoke, Weymouth, Wolves)

9 - Steve Johnston

Steve

Unfortunately, even if you have missed a couple, Mark is still WELL behind the leaders. So far, we have (including new entries Featherstone, Woffinden, and Corradine) :

18 - Alan Mogridge

16 - Tony Featherstone (Boston, Bradford, Crayford, Exeter, Hackney, King's Lynn, King's Lynn II, Leicester, Long Eaton,

Milton Keynes, Newport, Peterborough, Poole, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Wolves)

16 - Wal Morton

15 - James Birkinshaw

15 - George Major

12 - Chris Julian

12 - Ken Vale

11 - Mark Burrows

11 - Reidar Eide

11 - Eric Hockaday

11 - Geoff Penniket

11 - Nigel Sparshott

11 - Rob Woffinden (Berwick, Birmingham, Boston, Edinburgh, Halifax, Middlesbrough, Milton Keynes, Rye House,

Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Stoke)

10 - Jimmy Squibb

9 - Mal Corradine (Birmingham, Cradley, Doncaster, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Oxford, Stoke, Weymouth, Wolves)

9 - Steve Johnston

Steve

Where does Geoff Pymar fit into this? I can think off-hand of Wimbledon, New Cross, Harringay, Yarmouth, Middlesbrough, Bristol - and I'm certain that he rode for a few more.

I have looked up my records for Wal Morton and can get 18 tracks

Belfast (50) non-league

Bradford "Greenfields" (62)

Bradford "Odsal" (53 & 54)

Bristol (36)

Chapelizod (50) non-league

Coventry (33)

Glasgow White City (46)

Hackney Wick (63)

Harringay (47 - 49)

Ipswich (57 & 59 & 64) and non-league (51)

Liverpool (60)

Middlesbrough (61)

Motherwell (50) non-league

Newcastle (51)

Norwich (37 - 39 & 48 & 57)

West Ham (33 - 35 & 52)

Weymouth (64)

Wimbledon (35 - 37)

The reason I said I didn't know if Belfast would count was because that was a non-league outfit, just like Chapelizod and Motherwell .

You could also add West Ham Reserves as they were a seperate team in 1934. That would make 19 TEAMS' This would move him to the top of the list then

Geoff Pymar just about reaches double figures as his pre-war years were all spent with one team - Wimbledon

Edited by star ghost

What about Neil Collins must be 10 or more,elesmere port,stoke,belle vue,workington,newport,somerset,edinbrough,swindon,sheffield,leicester,hull.any more?

Neil had 2 seasons with Glasgow (92 & 97) and also rode with Wolves

• 1 month later...
Glyn Taylor must be included here, god knows how many clubs but off the top of my head,

Belle Vue

Berwick

Crewe

Stoke

Reading

Edinburgh

Sheffield

Newcastle

there is more i'm sure.

Hmm, not sure on which clubs Glyn did ride for but I know the current Redcar Bears' Team Manager is riding again on Saturday 29th. March: at his home track (Redcar Speedway) in Round One of this year's Short Track UK championship! :approve:

Nephew of another rider mentioned on this thread, Neil Collins: Les' son, Aidan Collins will also be appearing.

Action starts at 4.30pm - see http://www.shorttrackuk.com/news.html for full details!