British Speedway Forum

Speedway's Most-travelled Riders

chunky

13 - DAVID BLACKBURN (Belle Vue, Berwick, Boston, Glasgow, Leicester, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Milton Keynes, Newcastle, Reading, Sheffield, Swindon, Workington)

8 - MARK LORAM

Update:

14 - DAVID BLACKBURN (Belle Vue, Berwick, Berwick II, Boston, Glasgow, Leicester, Long Eaton, Middlesborough, Milton Keynes, Newcastle, Reading, Sheffield, Swindon, Workington)

10 - MARK LORAM (Arena Essex, Bradford, Eastbourne, Exeter, Hackney, Ipswich, King's Lynn, Peterborough, Poole, Wolverhampton)

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 - MARK BURROWS (Belle Vue, Buxton, Cleveland (Boro II), Cleveland (Redcar II), Coventry, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Hull, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Stoke, Stoke Spitfires, Wimbledon)

Another club to be added to Buzz's list: as of last week, he's been a Weymouth rider - so that's club number 16!!! :approve:

Another club to be added to Buzz's list: as of last week, he's been a Weymouth rider - so that's club number 16!!! :approve:

Sweet sixteen for Mr Burrows - the man with the itchy clutch lever! :wink:

Buzz also did a four-match stint for Oxford in 1997. These are often put down as guest appearences, but I don't believe they were.

All the best

Rob

Interesting!! I agree that I don't see how a four-match stint (was that four in a row..??) can be classified as a 'guest'...?

After all we've been 'allowed' to include the single matches for Hull & Coventry so Oxford deserves inclusion surely...

What exactly is or was the 'rule' when defining an appearance from a rider from a lower division appearing for a higher division team..? :unsure: To me that's never a 'Guest' appearance at least not in the sense of a 'like-for-like' within a division.. Certainly Mr. Oakes didn't use that classification in his books... But nowadays I notice this is used as an expression... :blink:

Interesting!! I agree that I don't see how a four-match stint (was that four in a row..??) can be classified as a 'guest'...?

After all we've been 'allowed' to include the single matches for Hull & Coventry so Oxford deserves inclusion surely...

What exactly is or was the 'rule' when defining an appearance from a rider from a lower division appearing for a higher division team..? :unsure: To me that's never a 'Guest' appearance at least not in the sense of a 'like-for-like' within a division.. Certainly Mr. Oakes didn't use that classification in his books... But nowadays I notice this is used as an expression... :blink:

Burrows is also just 10 years short of equaling Wal Morton's 35 years as a rider - and I think Jimmy Squibb may have bettered that. If Burrows does keep going to emulate their longevity it would mean that he'll still be riding in 2019!! :rolleyes:

Edited by speedyguy

This has been an enduring thread which has brought to the fore a number of riders who have graced Speedway Racing over many years and many Clubs, a lot of the riders would probably not have been mentioned otherwise, but they have played a part in the history of the Clubs & Leagues concerned and deserve mention for that fact. Well done to Steve and the other posters who have joined in to make this so interesting

Edited by star ghost

Can't remember who it was instead of, but I'm sure Wolves had Buzz Burrows for about a month too after injuries wrecked the team. It may have been 1993 when we rode some matches with only two Wolves riders and the rest made up of guests, r/r and juniors.

Here's the latest update...

[9 - STEVE JOHNSTON (Arena, Belle Vue, Coventry, Ipswich, Long Eaton, Oxford, Sheffield, Swindon, Wolves)

[/b]

You can now add Somerset to Johnny Jonski's list

Hi All

Just found this Topic :D

I only ever did a guest appearance for Bradford and Wolves, so you can take them off of the list :D

Alan

Is that really you, mate? Last time I saw you, you never had a computer, and didn't know anything about them!

Anyway, thanks for the info. Hope you're enjoying your retirement.

Steve

QUOTE (chunky @ Mar 22 2008, 08:02 AM)

15 - MARK BURROWS (Belle Vue, Buxton, Cleveland (Boro II), Cleveland (Redcar II), Coventry, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Hull, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Stoke, Stoke Spitfires, Wimbledon)

Was Buzz officially on Hull's books, I just remember him guesting on a few occasions in 1997, I think it was....

Was Buzz officially on Hull's books, I just remember him guesting on a few occasions in 1997, I think it was....

This is now the problem. Guest appearances aren't - or shouldn't be - included in official figures, yet Moggo comes on here and claims that some of his so-called "official" appearances were simply guest rides. Now, you say the same with Buzz. That throws new doubt on some of the infrequent appearances in a number of cases.

Steve

• 1 year later...

Here's the latest update...

<b>18 - ALAN MOGRIDGE</b> (Arena Essex, Berwick, Bradford, Canterbury, Crayford, Eastbourne, Hackney, Ipswich, London, Middlesbrough, Peterborough, Rye House, Sheffield, Stoke, Swindon, Wimbledon, Wolves, Workington)

<b>16 - JUSTIN ELKINS </b>(Arena Essex, Eastbourne, Eastbourne Starlets, Edinburgh, Exeter, Hull, Isle of Wight, Long Eaton, Poole, Reading, Rye House, Stoke, Stoke Spitfires, Weymouth, Wimbledon, Workington)

<b>16 - WAL MORTON</b> (Bradford (Greenfield), Bradford (Odsal), Bristol, Coventry, Glasgow WC, Hackney, Harringay, Ipswich, Liverpool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Norwich, West Ham, West Ham Res, Weymouth, Wimbledon)

<b>16 - TONY FEATHERSTONE</b> (Boston, Bradford, Crayford, Exeter, Hackney, King's Lynn, King's Lynn II, Leicester, Long Eaton, Milton Keynes, Newport, Peterborough, Poole, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Wolves)

<b>15 - JAMES BIRKINSHAW</b> (Belle Vue Colts, Berwick, Birmingham, Boston, Buxton, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Linlithgow, Newcastle, Sheffield, Sheffield Prowlers, St. Austell, Stoke, Wolves 2nd, Workington)

<b>15 - MARK BURROWS</b> (Belle Vue, Buxton, Cleveland (Boro II), Cleveland (Redcar II), Coventry, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Hull, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Stoke, Stoke Spitfires, Wimbledon)

<b>15 - GEORGE MAJOR</b>(Aldershot, Belle Vue, Birmingham, Cradley, Doncaster, Glasgow, Leicester, Neath, Newcastle, Norwich, Oxford, Sheffield, St. Austell, Wolves, Yarmouth)

This was how arch-compiler chunky left this last time we visited this theme.. (at least I think this was the last updated list..: certainly in terms of those with 15 and above...) :blink:

Since then my old sparring partner lucifer sam came up with the fact that Buzz had appeared in four matches for Oxford; and since this last posting Mr. Burrows has had a spell with Weymouth and is now at track 18 with the Scunthorpe Saints.

And before people question that, this Scunny is a completely different club from the one he started his career at, including different name and of course, track. Also if you're still not convinced, as this is the NL version of the club it is, of course, in keeping with the way these lists have been put together, 'Scunthorpe II'

So adding these in Buzz's record-equalling ( :approve: ) 18 clubs reads:

18 - MARK BURROWS (Belle Vue, Buxton, Cleveland (Boro II), Cleveland (Redcar II), Coventry, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Hull, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Oxford, Scunthorpe, Scunthorpe II, Sheffield, Stoke, Stoke Spitfires, Weymouth, Wimbledon)

• 1 year later...