British Speedway Forum

Memories Of Waterden Road

Vincent Vega

Read it carefully and even you can see which track I'm talking about you are constanstly splitting hairs and now becoming very annoying in your attempts to belittle me each posting I make, just for your benefit though this next part is referring C A N T E R B U R Y (I seperated each letter so it makes it easier on the eye to sound out) what part of WE WERE ONLY ALLOWED TO RACE ON A SATURDAY NIGHT IN THE CITY don't you understand?

Maybe if you'd read my post during the day you may have understood it, although somehow I doubt it, maybe if someone else had posted it (yep that's more like it) you would of just read and digested it!

Er, not really coz my posting was:

QUOTE (Parsloes 1928 nearly @ Jan 24 2008, 08:26 PM)

I suppose it was also true in 1996 that Arena Essex came and stole away your track was it..??!! blink.gif unsure.gif

Your reply goes:

No they took our race night that stopped us re-opening in the City actually icon_smile_wink.gif oh and for the record it was a bit before 1996 icon_smile_tongue.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, you see this thread was/is about Hackney.. I was referring to Hackney (as a comparator with the Crayford example) when talking of the events of 1996: the OTHER time Mr. Russell 'closed' down a track (Arena, though they survived by going into the Conference..) to take over at Waterden Rd. :angry:

It was YOU who misunderstood this and started, spuriously, to think that somehow the thread referred to Canterbury!! :shock:

And tell me, how on earth did Arena Essex running in Thurrock on whatever night have a bearing on a track reopening in Canterbury..?? A lot more than 30 miles between those two locations..??!! :unsure::blink:

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the OTHER time Mr. Russell 'closed' down a track (Arena, though they survived by going into the Conference..) to take over at Waterden Rd.

I always thought that he moved the Kestrels out of Crayford because he knew the stadium was closing down and he had no security of tenure , or are you saying it closed because he moved the Kestrels out?

As for the Arena Essex switch I really don't think you could attack someone at the time for moving from a primitive stadium to one like the rebuilt Hackney although the gamble proved to be a costly failure. I do remember hearing from someone close to matters at Arena Essex during the immediately preceding years that "this all should really be going on at Hackney".

Regards,

Rob.

I always thought that he moved the Kestrels out of Crayford because he knew the stadium was closing down and he had no security of tenure

Regards,

Rob.

Spot on Rob, he did!

Spot on Rob, he did!

So, logically the only person responsible for the closure of Crayford was the person, or more likely company that sold the stadium rather than anyone in speedway. I can understand you not being too keen on Sainsbury's though. I was never keen on their Rayleigh store - or Texas Homecare's.

Even now I rarely use Sainsbury's, and I'm not too keen on the Olympics either :wink:

Rob.

Edited by rmc

I always thought that he moved the Kestrels out of Crayford because he knew the stadium was closing down and he had no security of tenure , or are you saying it closed because he moved the Kestrels out?

As for the Arena Essex switch I really don't think you could attack someone at the time for moving from a primitive stadium to one like the rebuilt Hackney although the gamble proved to be a costly failure. I do remember hearing from someone close to matters at Arena Essex during the immediately preceding years that "this all should really be going on at Hackney".

Regards,

Rob.

It's an issue of honesty (or communication, at least..) and the lack of it, which distinguishes each example..

I was at, what turned out to be the last ever meeting at Crayford and I still have the programme. in his speech on the centre green mic that night and in his programme notes, Terry Russell talks about being back at Crayford in 1984. he makes no reference to the fact, which was I now know, well advanced at that stage, of the redevelopment of the stadium and his proposed team relocation to Hackney. My gripe has always been and remains, why didn't he allow us Crayford fans to at least know that when we walked out of that Stadium that night that it was going to be for the last time... :cry:

The 1996 example was more serious. Throughout that year - the first of the GP system and the British GP then the last on the calendar and so potentially a decisive world title meeting- it was said that Arena was to stage this prestigious event. Why the "primitive" old place ( :wink: ) even staged a FIM meeting earlier in the year in preparation...

But all this time,seems Mr.Russell was planning to unveil his deal to hold the event at the impressively revamped 'London Stadium' (sic).

Surely,it wasn't right to string people along like that was it..??!! :unsure::blink:

It's an issue of honesty (or communication, at least..) and the lack of it, which distinguishes each example..

I was at, what turned out to be the last ever meeting at Crayford and I still have the programme. in his speech on the centre green mic that night and in his programme notes, Terry Russell talks about being back at Crayford in 1984. he makes no reference to the fact, which was I now know, well advanced at that stage, of the redevelopment of the stadium and his proposed team relocation to Hackney. My gripe has always been and remains, why didn't he allow us Crayford fans to at least know that when we walked out of that Stadium that night that it was going to be for the last time... :cry:

The 1996 example was more serious. Throughout that year - the first of the GP system and the British GP then the last on the calendar and so potentially a decisive world title meeting- it was said that Arena was to stage this prestigious event. Why the "primitive" old place ( :wink: ) even staged a FIM meeting earlier in the year in preparation...

But all this time,seems Mr.Russell was planning to unveil his deal to hold the event at the impressively revamped 'London Stadium' (sic).

Surely,it wasn't right to string people along like that was it..??!! :unsure::blink:

Well then, the only person who can respond to that is Terry Russell himself.

Ten years before you I saw my last meeting at Rayleigh also believing that I had a 1974 season to come. There even was a fixture list published but that was as far as it got. Whether I or the other Rayleigh fans were "strung along" is largely irrelevant - my track was gone.

One thing I have learned from my time in the sport is that things are seldom as clear-cut as supporters believe and that sometimes plans have to change extremely fast as was the case with the Rockets. Equally, the realities of the sport are that you can't always tell everything. As someone once put it to me. "You want the truth - are you sure you can handle it?".

Sometimes ignorance can be bliss and I now actually prefer to be another face in the corner of the bar or terracing rather than know the full gory details of what's going on. Now I can just enjoy the speedway. There's a heck of a lot to be said for that.

Regards,

Rob.

c/o Dunannouncin',

Gloucester ;-)

Edited by rmc

Oh deary deary me Parsnips matey so you've turned your attention to Terry Russell now eh? :rolleyes:

FACT: Ladbrokes had done / did a deal regarding the site

FACT: There was soon erected a Sainsburys Supermarket and a MUCH smaller stadium not big enough for speedway.

FACT: Len Silver wanted to concentrate / was concentrating on getting the now highly successful SILVERSKI HOLIDAYS off the ground

SOLUTION EFFECTED.

Oh deary deary me Parsnips matey so you've turned your attention to Terry Russell now eh? :rolleyes:

FACT: Ladbrokes had done / did a deal regarding the site

FACT: There was soon erected a Sainsburys Supermarket and a MUCH smaller stadium not big enough for speedway.

FACT: Len Silver wanted to concentrate / was concentrating on getting the now highly successful SILVERSKI HOLIDAYS off the ground

SOLUTION EFFECTED.

Yes, but FACT..:

Mr. Russell chose NOT to tell us Crayford fans that we were about to lose our track..!!! :angry:

Forgive me, but aren't one of your current clubs Oxford currently fighting their closure. We were denied that opportunity at Crayford... :rolleyes:

Yes, but FACT..:

Mr. Russell chose NOT to tell us Crayford fans that we were about to lose our track..!!!

Forgive me, but aren't one of your current clubs Oxford currently fighting their closure. We were denied that opportunity at Crayford...

He told the supporters club but don't expect me to give you the flipping definitive date he did so Parsnips (and I do apologise for not being able to and, as a certain quizmaster used to say, "I mean that most sincerely folks!") because, alas my memory is not up to recalling such detailed information nigh on a quarter of a century down the line! :rolleyes: It's my age ya know! :D

Having told us on that date my memory is not up to remembering we (I think but I can't be sure!) immediately announced it on the club's website and through various other internet outlets - oh NO wait a minute, the internet wasn't with us in 1983 was it apart from, possibly, in Government secret bunkers? :wink:

My hazy recollection 25 years on is that we told the local newspaper which, as I recall (but again can't be certain!) was the Erith & Crayford Observer - presumably you didn't get that where you lived? If I'd have known, I'd have rung you! Might have helped I suppose if I'd known you back then too.

I also recall going over to Waterden Road in the close season with my fellow members of the Crayford Speedway Supporters Association Committee (blimey who remembers the Wheeltappers and Shunters?????) for a meeting with dear old Snowy Beattie and the Hackney Supporters Committee at which we exchanged ideas and details as to just how we raised funds etc, and formulated plans for what we were going to do in that direction in the exciting season ahead and to stage some sort of meeting prior to the season to formulate a new committee. :wink:

Edited by Bryn

Alright, alright..: enuff!!! :shock:

I can see the 'establishment' were told..: just us ordinary punters who didn't know then..!!! :rolleyes:

Being an 'insider' myself these days, I do feel perhaps we fail to recognise even in these days of much improved communication (for whether promoters like it or not - and it's NOT in many cases! :wink: - there is the Internet now!!) that not everyone who attends Speedway are privy to a level of knowledge about all the various machinations around the sport.

I think that maybe the fact that the percentage as a total of people 'in the know' is higher than, say, in Football does sometimes have a detrimental affect on ordinary fans who want to pay their money come along and have some level of certainty that there may be a meeting next week/month/season as advertised!!!! :rolleyes:

Alright, alright..: enuff!!! :shock:

YOU brought the subject up 25 years on - weren't you expecting a response then? :rolleyes: And having just re-read your original posting that prompted all this, I must say I'm tremendously impressed that, nigh on 25 years on, you can STILL remember what Terry Russell said on the centre green mic at Crayford's last meeting - blowed if I can!

I can see the 'establishment' were told..: just us ordinary punters who didn't know then..!!!

But just HOW were we supposed to tell you "ordinary punters" given lines of communication that existed a quarter of a century ago? I cannot be certain but I feel fairly sure that we DID call and hold a meeting of the Crayford Supporters Club members to explain what was happening. Invitations would, of course, had have to been posted out to members in those days.

Being an 'insider' myself these days, I do feel perhaps we fail to recognise even in these days of much improved communication (for whether promoters like it or not - and it's NOT in many cases! - there is the Internet now!!) that not everyone who attends Speedway are privy to a level of knowledge about all the various machinations around the sport.

Maybe we do, maybe we don't "fail to recognise etc" BUT with lines of communications such as they are nowadays getting information to supporters is a doddle compared to 1983 and I fail to see why in any event that anyone who attends Speedway (Including the likes of you and I Parsnips!) SHOULD be "privy to a level of knowledge about the various machinations around the sport." Some they / you & I SHOULD BE, some we shouldn't and I know of NO business where it's customers, or indeed all of it's employees know EVERYTHING about the business - even Housing Associations! :wink: Assuming you have members of staff working under your direction, can you honestly say you tell ALL of them EVERYTHING????

I think that maybe the fact that the percentage as a total of people 'in the know' is higher than, say, in Football does sometimes have a detrimental affect on ordinary fans who want to pay their money come along and have some level of certainty that there may be a meeting next week/month/season as advertised!!!! :rolleyes:

Maybe the percentage you refer to IS higher, maybe it isn't - who knows! And let's be perfectly honest here and ignoring the likes of us who come onto forums such as these (and I'm not decrying us for doing so!) isn't it fair to say that the VAST MAJORITY of folk who attend speedway meetings up and down this country do NOT frequent such forums but go along to their local track for an exciting night of racing whilst, at the same time, hoping their team will win?

Edited by Bryn

YOU brought the subject up 25 years on - weren't you expecting a response then? :rolleyes: And having just re-read your original posting that prompted all this, I must say I'm tremendously impressed that, nigh on 25 years on, you can STILL remember what Terry Russell said on the centre green mic at Crayford's last meeting - blowed if I can!

Hmmm sorry Bryn to spilt hairs here but with all due respect I can remember what was said on the mic the last night of Canterbury, it's something I will never forget :cry:

Hmmm sorry Bryn to spilt hairs here but with all due respect I can remember what was said on the mic the last night of Canterbury, it's something I will never forget :cry:

Well in that case Shazzy, all I can say is that you are a better man (or in your case woman!) than I am Gunga Din! Can you honestly remember it word for word though? Or just Chris saying words to the effect that "I've tried but that's it!" ????

Edited by Bryn

Sadly, such is the instability of speedway that you can never ever be certain as one season ends that your track will be there the following year as I think everyone involved in this debate knows from bitter experience.

I can assure you now as a straightforward customer of speedway that I have little interest or desire to know the full details of what goes on behind the scenes, just as I have little interest in the restaurant I go to regularly , or my local cinema, favourite shops or other leisure facility. I certainly don't expect total disclosure of matters in a private business - I don't need to know and really I don't want anything to spoil what I enjoy.

Rob.

P.S. I certainly can't remember my last words at Rye House, although I seem to remember my last word at Sittingbourne was lost by a rather spectacular failure of a makeshift p.a....

Edited by rmc

P.S. ...although I seem to remember my last word at Sittingbourne was lost by a rather spectacular failure of a makeshift p.a....

Yes, Rob, that was the day the car parking also went t*ts up and Mr. Ribbons had to circumnavigate the track, shouting out the registration numbers in his - thankfully, for this task..! -booming voice!!! :wink:

The next meeting, when I'd taken over from you as Announcer, I was handed another long list of offending parked cars and I read them out, then to find that one I'd announced was my own car!!!!! :oops::lol:

I'm just an occassional poster on here these days but couldn't resist this topic. My own memories go back to 1970, Hackney v Wembley. Many of fondest memories have been covered by others, but my favorites are:

The blind man who came around selling sewing kits for charity.

The programme shop when it was under the main stand.

The souvenir shops on the first and second bends ( I got a whole season of Crayford progs for a quid!).

Living in Mile End (still do) and running (yes running) home after meetings to keep fit.

The Junior Hawks Xmas party in Cherry's.

The coach to Leyton after the meeting. It leaked whenever it rained.

Dave Morton - a legend.

The meeting in Cherry's when a prospective promotor (Swedish?) told of his plans to re-open.

The Ben Howe match races before a meeting.

So many memories. If only....

Please share then Shazzy, because as I remember it we had no idea that we'd seen our last meeting at Kingsmead when we left the track on that dark October night back in 1987. The first I heard about it was when Malcolm Mitchell (remember him? :wink: ) announced it on 'Scene South East' (remember that? :wink: ) some weeks later.

You may of course be right, but that's the way I remember it..........but what happened that winter actually reduced me to tears, I'm not afraid to admit it. :(

Re Canterbury....

You may of course be right, but that's the way I remember it..........but what happened that winter actually reduced me to tears, I'm not afraid to admit it. :(

And it did Chris G (rest his soul!) too KevH as I and my ex-missus can categorically confirm considering his state when we took him in to give him shelter for a considerable period in the name of sincere friendship.

And re Hackney...

That's right!!!

Tommy Rander I believe was the guy in question............what scuppered his plans, does anyone know?

Money!

Edited by Bryn