British Speedway Forum

Memories Of Waterden Road

Vincent Vega

nice little clip Grachan.. nice of you to post it.. ;)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a newcomer to these forums I find reading these threads bringing back memories long forgotten.

When I got a job and moved from Leicester to London in 1960 I soon made friends with a colleague who was an old West Ham supporter and spent hours chatting about the Hunters and Hammers in the 1940's & 50's. One day in either 1962 or 63 we saw an article in the local paper saying that Mike Parker was opening up at Hackney Wick and asking for volunteers to meet him and dear old Eddie Glennon. We thought this would be a laugh and went along thinking we might end up raking the track or pushing bikes. When Mike found out we were Accountants he said I've got just the job for you and we finished up doing the riders pay, expenses Etc. We also played (and supplied) the music in between races in the commentary box with Ted Sear.

This carried on after the Len Silver take over until I moved Overseas in 1967 . Whilst Colin Pratt and Roy Trigg were top Hawks I will never forget a young 16 year old having his first ride sat bolt upright like he had a broom handle up his back and looking very ungainly. A few weeks later he made the team and went on to become a legend who still raced in 2002 at the age of 55. Of course I refer to Malcolm Simmons.

When I returned to the UK 10 years later I heard the terrible news of Eddie Glennon but never lived in London again or visited Waterden Rd.

At that first volounteers meeting we also met a man called Frank who got the job of Pits Marshall, the three wives got on well and we travelled to away meetings but lost touch when we moved abroad. I think his name was Chapman but I am not certain because the little grey cells are beginning to fail. I would think he might have stayed with the Hawks right through to the 80's. Does anybody know him?

I made a rare excursion into Hackney at the weekend and the whole area is now boarded up and the buildings and warehouses around the track have been flattened. There are signs up saying Waterden Road is due to be closed off in the near future :cry:

On the subject of Hackney, this is the speedway segment in the 1970 film Bronco Bullfrog that was shot as Waterden Road.

Anyone know who the riders are. Its Hackney v Wolves and presumably heat two. I assume it's either 1969 or 1970.

Out in front is my dear mate and mentor Jackie Biggs. I think I was at this meeting. Brought a tear to my eyes. Wonderful stuff. Can't workout who the opposition is. It would be 1970 so possibly Laurie Ethridge for Hackney at number 7? Opposition maybe Wolves?

My last visit to Waterden Road was about 1982, one Saturday afternoon when I took a team of midget car drivers there for a practice - at Len Silver's invitation.

From what I remember, he didn't like them and the way they were tearing up the bends when broadsiding. he abruptly ended their session as a very angry man.

And that's how I will now always remember Mr Silver. :rolleyes:

this thread is lovley to read bring back so many memoires ....... good id love to go back enjoy one more night down thir who wa sthe rider gettin married and thay put him in a box ontop of a fire and the box fell through ...... it must have been round about 1975 i no i was only about 7 think it might have been one of the kennet brothers but not to sure x

I haven't been over that side of town since the days of London Lions, and I never really enjoyed those, the place just wasn't the same. I used to love going there with the Dons and as a neutral (although that was never really possible for a Wimbledon supporter). Sure don't miss the walk back to Leyton tube though. :lol:

i used to ride at hackney,in the years 1989-90-91,, god i feel old now lol..i loved the track being a beginner as such.. i remember i used to ride in the second half on a friday night then on a saturday at the training sessions.we used to have to sleep in the car in the pits area over the friday night yak!!!we used to go into a little hut over the other side of the track for a coffee after the meeting on the friday night..there used to be a mechanic there called steve , he was a youngish lad. well id say about 19 ish..at the time..i would love to know what he is up to now..the best bit there was me being a FEMALE rider and the changing room senario.. i used to have to walk through the mens changing rooms with my head down(sometimes ..hehe) and go to a small room out the back to change. i think most of the guys found it funny to walk about with as little as possible on . awwwwwwwww the joys of being a FEMALE in a male orinentated sport ,, :rolleyes:

Hawkeye / Birdbrain

I'm happy to report that, having being corresponding of late with said Hackney legend he is still alive and well and, just as importantly, growing old disgracefully as you might expect! :P:wink:

Edited by Bryn

After the Crayford lot took over 'ackney stadium I for one must admit I never went there very often afterwards and once we'd closed although it breaks my heart to say this I had to go to Eastbourne to get my speedway fix, Arena Essex was a no no as like I say they took our race night and that was something I never forgave them for, so even if we wanted to re-open the only day we were allowed race in the City was a Saturday and seeing as Arena had decided to slot in there that was us out even if the land down Sturry Road had come up trumps for us! Which could well of done if we could of had a racenight to take to the council it's now a car park :cry:

I'm still totally confused by your posts, shazzy!! :blink:

When you say "we" above are you meaning Hackney or Canterbury..?? :unsure:

I can't see how Arena's race night could have any effect on a replacement track opening in Canterbury..??!!! :blink:

I'm still totally confused by your posts, shazzy!! :blink:

When you say "we" above are you meaning Hackney or Canterbury..?? :unsure:

I can't see how Arena's race night could have any effect on a replacement track opening in Canterbury..??!!! :blink:

Jeeeeeeeeesus put that bloody bone down!!! Read it carefully and even you can see which track I'm talking about you are constanstly splitting hairs and now becoming very annoying in your attempts to belittle me each posting I make, just for your benefit though this next part is referring C A N T E R B U R Y (I seperated each letter so it makes it easier on the eye to sound out) what part of WE WERE ONLY ALLOWED TO RACE ON A SATURDAY NIGHT IN THE CITY don't you understand?

Maybe if you'd read my post during the day you may have understood it, although somehow I doubt it, maybe if someone else had posted it (yep that's more like it) you would of just read and digested it!