British Speedway Forum

Wimbledon Memories

superdons

38 minutes ago, chunky said:

Maido took over in 1972. I can't remember exactly when he left, but it may have been when we went NL. I know he was still there in 1984.

i think it was when the golfer took over, surname of Brown.

i used to go chat to Maido in the speedway office during my lunch break when i worked in Copper Mill Lane around '84/5 time 

Sadly I never rated Maido as a top line team manager. I know the purse strings were tied but we persevered with Jancarz for at least 2 seasons too many, and often bought riders who were on the way down (Simmo, Kennett, Titman) rather than exciting world class talent.

49 minutes ago, stevehone said:

i think it was when the golfer took over, surname of Brown.

i used to go chat to Maido in the speedway office during my lunch break when i worked in Copper Mill Lane around '84/5 time 

Yeah, I just couldn't remember exactly when Peter came on board...

12 hours ago, prodons said:

Talking of memories, @stevehone how special was it when you finally raced at Plough Lane? 

hated it, i knew so many people around the stadium through supporters club and mates i just felt too self conscious.

brilliant track though, small but surprisingly fast

14 hours ago, stevehone said:

was that when they started being sponsored by Chalfont Coaches?

Chris Shears brought us the Chalfont sponsorship while we were still in the BL, and we dropped down in 1985.

6 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Well the answer was 100 times more interesting than any of your recent posts, and on topic . Suck it up, buttercup

not another post deleted :D and i missed it too 

12 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

The speedway bar that Iris posted a photo of, is it located at the site of the old Plough Lane stadium?

Yes. The new Wimbledon football stadium . Barry Briggs visited the stadium a few weeks back. Not sure if he visited the bar though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Yes. The new Wimbledon football stadium . Barry Briggs visited the stadium a few weeks back. Not sure if he visited the bar though

A regular run for me in SE London used to take me past Speedway Dry Cleaners in New Cross. I assume very close to where the old speedway used to be?

Some nice memories here from Plough Lane. I only went to the speedway once for a 4TT in 1990 and then for Stock Car World Champs 2-3 years later and finally to the dogs about 10-12 years ago. Sorry to say the old place just grew more and more dilapidated.  I had the same feeling the last time I went to Brandon too. :(

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, falcace said:

A regular run for me in SE London used to take me past Speedway Dry Cleaners in New Cross. I assume very close to where the old speedway used to be?

Some nice memories here from Plough Lane. I only went to the speedway once for a 4TT in 1990 and then for Stock Car World Champs 2-3 years later and finally to the dogs about 10-12 years ago. Sorry to say the old place just grew more and more dilapidated.  I had the same feeling the last time I went to Brandon too. :(

i agree, once they closed off most of the stadium it really lost it's attractiveness .. it was going downhill for years but that really did it for me.

good memories of sitting on the bend 2 terrace arguing with Ipswich supporters :D