British Speedway Forum

Wimbledon Memories

superdons

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

What may I ask were the contents of said scrapbook ? You fail to expand on this. I am intrigued as to whether it was paper clippings of Adam Faith. Marty Wilde and Cliff Richards

It was some 45 years ago that the scrapbook belonging to Mrs Dorothy Charles Batson became 'lost in the post.' Off hand I do not recall if Adam Faith, Marty Wilde and Cliff Richard (no S to surname!) were mentioned. If they visited the Wimbledon speedway in the 1950s-70s era they may well have featured. What I do recall is that the scrapbook carried references to many speedway riders - Norman Parker, Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs etc are names that I recall were featured. I wish that I could be more helpful regarding your inquiry and apologise for that lapse on my part.

3 minutes ago, gustix said:

It was some 45 years ago that the scrapbook belonging to Mrs Dorothy Charles Batson became 'lost in the post.' Off hand I do not recall if Adam Faith, Marty Wilde and Cliff Richard (no S to surname!) were mentioned. If they visited the Wimbledon speedway in the 1950s-70s era they may well have featured. What I do recall is that the scrapbook carried references to many speedway riders - Norman Parker, Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs etc are names that I recall were featured. I wish that I could be more helpful regarding your inquiry and apologise for that lapse on my part.

Yes, I know it was a long shot on my part. But judging by your shall we say, rather patchy memory, maybe it is worth having another mooch around for said scrapbook as it might still be in your possession, having thought you popped it in the post, but never did ?

11 minutes ago, gustix said:

I'm intrigued by the metion of messrs Norman Parker, Ronnie Moore and Barry Briggs. What level of success did they achieve in the world of sprint cars speedway?

12 minutes ago, gustix said:

7 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Yes, I know it was a long shot on my part. But judging by your shall we say, rather patchy memory, maybe it is worth having another mooch around for said scrapbook as it might still be in your possession, having thought you popped it in the post, but never did ?

Sadly I am certain that Mrs Dorothy Charles Batson's scrapbook was 'lost in the post' some 65 years-plus ago. Since it originally came into my possession we  have  moved house three times. And over the years I have disposed of the vast collections of speedway books, magazines and programmes that accumulated. I wish that I could be more specific in answering you.

On 6/10/2020 at 1:57 PM, BWitcher said:

I'm intrigued by the metion of messrs Norman Parker, Ronnie Moore and Barry Briggs. What level of success did they achieve in the world of sprint cars speedway?

I have no details of either Norman Parker or Barry Briggs being involved in either midget car racing or sprint car racing. But there was a time in the late 1950s when then Wimbledon promoter Ronnie Greene was considering promoting. And in this period Wimbledon speedway riders Ronnie Moore and Cyril Brine drove a specially built midget known as the 'Atom' in demonstrations at Wimbledon and Rayleigh. Previous to that Cyril's brother Percy circa 1953 demonstrated the Batson  midget car in the interval of speedway meetings at Rayleigh, Rye House and Wimbledon. I wish I could be more helpful in answering your query BWitcher.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Do you mean local to Jens Rasmussen and his place of abode or local to yourself. Is this local place a common haunt for speedway riders given the other two examples?

Here is a list of English towns and I don't see one called local.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_in_England

Here is a link to the website of Jens Rasmussen:

http://www.jensrasmussen.org/

If I could make some suggestions, Junior...

Firstly, it would appear more genuine had you used bold.

Secondly, I would suggest using "cannot" as opposed to "don't".

Do you have any information about this Jens fellow, as I do not seem to recall him?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gustix said:

That's interesting about your mother's links with the Wimbledon SSC. I knew another lady who was also involved with the Wimbledon SSC - Mrs Dorothy Charles Batson. I recall a sad happening in regard to Mrs Batson's scrapbook. She loaned it to my old friend the late John Chaplin. In his turn he loaned it on to me. I am positive that I later posted the scrapbook to Mrs Batson. Sadly I think it became lost in the Postal system.

Of course, my mum knew Mrs B, but although I did meet her on occasion, that was much later (and I was a kid). A wonderful and very unique lady, Mrs B...

The Speedway Star actually published a photo of my mum with Ronnie Moore.

Edited by chunky

46 minutes ago, chunky said:

If I could make some suggestions, Junior...

Firstly, it would appear more genuine had you used bold.

Secondly, I would suggest using "cannot" as opposed to "don't".

Do you have any information about this Jens fellow, as I do not seem to recall him?

...I thought about passing comment on bwitcher's references but had more important duties to perform! ;)

Edited by steve roberts

49 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...I thought about passing comment on bwitcher's references but had more important duties to perform! ;)

Hey, the OLD BWitcher is back!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Of course, my mum knew Mrs B, but although I did meet her on occasion, that was much later (and I was a kid). A wonderful and very unique lady, Mrs B...

The Speedway Star actually published a photo of my mum with Ronnie Moore.

Mrs Dorothy Charles Batson was indeed a delightful person She used to regularly phone my own dear late wife. I cannot still recall coming home from work at the South London Press and my wife saying, "That lovely lady Mrs B phoned me today."

On 5/17/2020 at 12:21 AM, gustix said:

TBH I no longer care about the photo, Wimbledon  or the BSFat the moment. 

I wonder if this is what one describes as being ‘whimsically eccentric ‘ ? :rofl:

A. De Bunker

8 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I wonder if this is what one describes as being ‘whimsically eccentric ‘ ? :rofl:

A. De Bunker

You don't give up do you? Have you thought about taking medical advice in regard to your passion for posting adverse comments/responses to other members' posts?

4 minutes ago, gustix said:

You don't give up do you? Have you thought about taking medical advice in regard to your passion for posting adverse comments/responses to other members' posts?

Just trying to clarify something. You have a passion for bringing up posts from over a year ago back into the arena John. Is it one rule for you and another for the rest ? I wonder what your answer will be 

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Just trying to clarify something. You have a passion for bringing up posts from over a year ago back into the arena John. Is it one rule for you and another for the rest ? I wonder what your answer will be 

I don't ask for or seek special rules in regard to what I post on the BSF. If I break them - which tends to happen - I get a 'warning shot' from a BSF Mod. Then I try to comply with that guideline from then onwards.

Anyone seen that Wimbledon team photo doing the rounds on FB from 1967 ? On the South West London group at least, which my dad sent me. Know all the riders apart from the two kneeling at the ends, left and right .Know there were a couple of riders that year that I have never seen a pic of Alan Stapleton for instance

Edited by iris123

6 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Anyone seen that Wimbledon team photo doing the rounds on FB from 1967 ? On the South West London group at least, which my dad sent me. Know all the riders apart from the two kneeling at the ends, left and right .Know there were a couple of riders that year that I have never seen a pic of Alan Stapleton for instance

That's interesting! I'll check that out, as there can't be many team pics I haven't seen... Don't think I've ever seen Alan Stapleton either.

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

That's interesting! I'll check that out, as there can't be many team pics I haven't seen... Don't think I've ever seen Alan Stapleton either.

Graham King put it on the 'I grew up in South West London' group. 10 riders there

15 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Graham King put it on the 'I grew up in South West London' group. 10 riders there

Just checked, and I hadn't seen that one before! Like you, I don't know those two on the ends, but the guy on the left looks vaguely familiar. Have to do some research, methinks...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

Just checked, and I hadn't seen that one before! Like you, I don't know those two on the ends, but the guy on the left looks vaguely familiar. Have to do some research, methinks...

Yes. I thought the guy on the right looks a bit like Mike Broadbank's brother :D