British Speedway Forum

Wimbledon Memories

superdons

17 minutes ago, salty said:

It didn't take me long to find mention of Terry Mussett on the Facebook page linked above. 

Nice picture of him in a team pic in a post initially shared by Jon Stevens and then put up by John Hyam.

By THE John Hyam???

Sounds like some kind of  conspiracy theory here...

15 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Alastair Stevens...a rider who showed much promise. Remember his interval demonstration rides at Cowley in 1984 as a fifteen year old.

I really thought Ali was going to have a long and successful career...

Just now, chunky said:

I really thought Ali was going to have a long and successful career...

I remember the Oxford Promotion had plans to promote him full-time in 1986 but during the winter he fell thru' a floor during a restoration project (?) and it was decided to allow him a further season in the National League. He eventually moved up in 1987 but strangely found it tough going especially around Cowley when he had some difficulty negotiating the bends on occasions. He reappeared on a full-time basis at Cowley in 1990 and reached a decent second string standard before moving on.

16 minutes ago, salty said:

Remember seeing Ali ride at Hackney in the NL Pairs in 1985, looked great that day considering his relative lack of experience. 

I'd forgotten about that off track accident.

He also played a part in the "Cheetahs" KO Cup win in 1985 during the second leg at Cowley.

1 hour ago, salty said:

It didn't take me long to find mention of Terry Mussett on the Facebook page linked above. 

Nice picture of him in a team pic in a post initially shared by Jon Stevens and then put up by John Hyam.

image.jpeg

Not actually a specific mention of Terry Musset - just his name in a photo caption. 

Edited by Guest
spelling error

21 minutes ago, gustix said:

A great rider whose name is etched among those who created the wonderful Wimbledon speedway image - Poland's  Edward Jancarz.
Image may contain: one or more people

...and such a sad end to his life. RIP

31 minutes ago, gustix said:

Not actually a specific mention of Terry Musset - just his name in a photo caption. 

So his name and a photo of him in a Wimbledon team pic is not a specific mention? If you want people actually naming him in their posts it's unlikely as there are few actual posts on that site just lots of shared stuff. Incidentally, his name is also mentioned in  a newspaper article in the same shared post. 

Leave Tel alone! He was a good 'un!

Edited by salty

My records show this action photo as the long-remembered early speedway days rider Australian star  'Cyclone' Billy Lamont. 
Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and outdoor

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, salty said:

So his name and a photo of him in a Wimbledon team pic is not a specific mention? If you want people actually naming him in their posts it's unlikely as there are few actual posts on that site just lots of shared stuff. Incidentally, his name is also mentioned in  a newspaper article in the same shared post. 

Leave Tel alone! He was a good 'un!

I agree about the use of SHARE on Facebook. It's a general trend on that Media in most of the sporting forums - not just speedway. I managed to find the photo post on FB that you refer to but not any article featuring or even mentioning Terry Mussett. Do you mean the Jon Stevens forum or the Wimbledon forum "Wimbledon Speedway - the fabulous Dons"?

Edited by Guest
group title needed

1 hour ago, salty said:

So his name and a photo of him in a Wimbledon team pic is not a specific mention?

So it wasn't just me that was sitting there scratching my head when I saw that one??? Yet another bizarre comment, eh?

Edited by chunky

46 minutes ago, gustix said:

I agree about the use of SHARE on Facebook. It's a general trend on that Media in most of the sporting forums - not just speedway. I managed to find the photo post on FB that you refer to but not any article featuring or even mentioning Terry Mussett. Do you mean the Jon Stevens forum or the Wimbledon forum "Wimbledon Speedway - the fabulous Dons"?

The latter. In the same shared posts. I believe they originated from Rodney Payne. Nothing against share. 

In 1948 because the Olympic Games included events at the Empire Stadium, Wembley, the speedway team staged a series of home matches at Wimbledon. I cannot seem to trace thees on the SPEEDWAY RESEARCHER website.I would like to know if Wembley raced four or six 'home' matches at Plough Lane please. Also, if possible classified results. Thank you.

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, gustix said:

In 1948 because the Olympic Games included events at the Empire Stadium, Wembley, the speedway team staged a series of home matches at Wimbledon. I cannot seem to trace thees on the SPEEDWAY RESEARCHER website.I would like to know if Wembley raced four or six 'home' matches at Plough Lane please. Also, if possible classified results. Thank you.

The results are on the Wembley file on the Researcher website, (mainly) identified for example as follows:

Thursday 29th April 1948  Wimbledon Stadium, London*  
Wembley Lions  52  Belle Vue Aces  31  (National League Division One) 

There were 17 Wembley home meetings staged at Plough Lane, plus the 'Wembley' World Championship qualifying round.

Edited by BL65
Information added

7 minutes ago, BL65 said:

The results are on the Wembley file on the Researcher website, (mainly) identified for example as follows:

Thursday 29th April 1948  Wimbledon Stadium, London*  
Wembley Lions  52  Belle Vue Aces  31  (National League Division One) 

I think there were 17 Wembley home meetings staged at Plough Lane.

Thank you BL65. A possibility you mention of Wembley having !7 'home' matches at Plough Lane. I wonder how I thought it was only six? I will again try the SPEEDWAY RESEARCHER for the match details/results but never seem to get a good response/link with the website.

8 minutes ago, gustix said:

Thank you BL65. A possibility you mention of Wembley having !7 'home' matches at Plough Lane. I wonder how I thought it was only six? I will again try the SPEEDWAY RESEARCHER for the match details/results but never seem to get a good response/link with the website.

I edited my post as you were replying.  I counted the number to confirm 17 plus the WCQR.  Wembley were able to go back home for the meeting on 2nd September.