British Speedway Forum

Programmes - the filling in of

Guest PorkyFenman

As a programme collector, I of course have to purchase a programme. Not only do I fill in the usual details but I also note the passes i.e. lap and bend that they occurred. I find this very useful when dissecting the match afterwards over a beer when I can back up what I say!

Each to their own but I find filling in a programme is part of the enjoyment. Also if you use a programme board, it is useful to wave at the riders on their victory lap.

Finally and overlooked, it is nice to actually read the programme and see what the management have got to say for themselves

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have to say that filling in the programme is part of going to speedway , for me at least. As a relative newcomer to the sport (as a regular supporter anyway) at first I didnt have a clue as 2 how to do it , i knew nowt about bonus points rider replacement tac subs ect , but it was fun to ask and learn about the sport , now I'm hooked and look forward to my speedway each week....and I fill the GP proggie in the Speedway Star as well!

As a programme collector, I of course have to purchase a programme. Not only do I fill in the usual details but I also note the passes i.e. lap and bend that they occurred. I find this very useful when dissecting the match afterwards over a beer when I can back up what I say!

well, i am glad that i am not the only one!! i collect programmes, only fill in the meetings i go to thou, and i also note passes, falls and where they occur, what lap, and the position in the race they are. also note at the bottom/top/side any warnings, fines etc dished out by a ref.

Each to their own but I find filling in a programme is part of the enjoyment. Also if you use a programme board, it is useful to wave at the riders on their victory lap.

yep..can relate to that!

Finally and overlooked, it is nice to actually read the programme and see what the management have got to say for themselves

oh yes, and sometimes there can be some handy and useful news in those notes too!! if your looking for club rumours!!

thanks Beowulf....you have put my mind to rest..there was me thinking i was the only anorak !!!! :D

• Like 1

Guest PorkyFenman

Non speedway fans ( the people the sport needs to attract if it wants to thrive ) are confused and bemused by the sight of hundreds people 'doing their homework' at meetings . It's not natural . It is very strange . It scares newbies off . Stop it now .

• 9 months later...

Since starting to do live updates, the quality of my programme filling in has gone downhill....I usually have scribbles everywhere noting who won toss, what gates they chose, the times are roughly scribbled down as i am usually composing the text message at the same time.

I know where you are coming from Rog and there is a cost to all of this but if speedway is competing with other sports for spectators it has to be mindful of the quality of product it serves up.

I'm not talking a state of the art multi million pound scoreboard or scoring system, but surely it shouldn't be too hard to have a scoreboard with 2 teams and 14 riders names on it with scores updated after each heat.

Those that wanted to could still keep filling in programs but a score service would make it far easier for the newbies.

I'm a tad late in replying I know BUT good idea Lunchy...take it you're gonna put your name forward for the job of "scoreboard operator and filler in" at Broadford??? :wink::mad::blink:

Edited by Bryn

Guest Sir Lunchalot
I'm a tad late in replying I know BUT good idea Lunchy...take it you're gonna put your name forward for the job of "scoreboard operator and filler in" at Broadford??? :wink::mad::blink:

Bryn, you get two teams to Broadford and I'm up for it !!!

By the way, where do we put the scoreboard, do we nail it to the tree in the centre brown ?

By the way no double joker dingly dangly things, they would make a scorers life unbearable :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest i love me

One day these programs could be sold for a small amount of money if filled in. i hate the commentators sometimes they just go on and on and on. i like filling in the program so i can take it home and show people if they are intrested :P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest clivehitch

My brother who lives in Australia said that when he watches speedway there and fills in his programme in the programme board the crowd look at him as if he's some kind of nutter!!Nobody does it!!

Took a relative to a match and he said that the progamme completion takes longer than the race!!

Guest Sir Lunchalot

I'm from Oz and I fill in a programme !! Actually quite a few do it but hardly any have programme boards so perhaps it isn't quite as obvious.

Perhaps it's because we don't have league racing and there are no averages involved so there isn't quite the same interest in keeping scores.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Well that makes two people at Adelaide who use programme boards !! I have sat next to a British fellow (ex Hackney I think) who drives up from the south east coast and who uses a programme board .... unless it's the same bloke !!

Guest clivehitch

must tell him to look out for the other geezer with a programme board!!

can't be bruv..as we are from sarf London and were fans of New Cross and Wimbledon before moving to Swindon(that's where the board originates!!)

• 19 years later...

I know this is a post from years back, I'm a newbie, and been to a few races at Foxhall,  look at the score page in the program. I know how speedway is scored ect. Is there any guidance/guide how to fill it in , I think I can work it out, but would be good to be sure 

16 hours ago, Ben2a said:

I know this is a post from years back, I'm a newbie, and been to a few races at Foxhall,  look at the score page in the program. I know how speedway is scored ect. Is there any guidance/guide how to fill it in , I think I can work it out, but would be good to be sure 

Hi Ben,

You're probably best off checking out the official referee scorecard on the BSPA site.  Maybe for a match you attended

ipswich_21.09.23_res.pdf (britishspeedway.co.uk)

hopefully that link works? If not just go to britishspeedway.co.uk, click on results and fixtures then click on the fixture and the official referee scorecard will be at the bottom.

You can then see how it's officially done. It's not too tricky and it always added to my enjoyment of a meeting.

Hope that helps 

7 hours ago, enotian said:

Hi Ben,

You're probably best off checking out the official referee scorecard on the BSPA site.  Maybe for a match you attended

ipswich_21.09.23_res.pdf (britishspeedway.co.uk)

hopefully that link works? If not just go to britishspeedway.co.uk, click on results and fixtures then click on the fixture and the official referee scorecard will be at the bottom.

You can then see how it's officially done. It's not too tricky and it always added to my enjoyment of a meeting.

Hope that helps 

Thank you 

• 4 weeks later...

I was one of the army of programme fillers back in the day when I was a team supporter. but now without a dedicated team I am unbiased & just watch the racing. I'm like an Italian SAS member "Who cares who wins" & I believe I enjoy myself as much as I did when watching my team in their glory years.