British Speedway Forum

Rider Fashion

Grachan

I was wondering when riders stopped wearing black leathers as the norm and started wearing different coloured leathers.

I'm guessing that black was still normal when Mike Broadbank(s) and Nigel Boocock wore red and blue respectively, otherwise they wouldn't have been given the nicknames "the red devil" and "little boy blue".

Maybe they started the trend though. I've seen a picture of Barry Briggs from about 1968 with stripes down the arms of his leathers. Pretty unusual for the time.

And what about leathers outside the boots instead of inside? I seem to remember John Davis doign this when he first rode for reading and causing a bit of a stir.

Here's another one. Who was the last rider to still wear a monkey mask rather than full face helmet?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering when riders stopped wearing black leathers as the norm and started wearing different coloured leathers.

I'm guessing that black was still normal when Mike Broadbank(s) and Nigel Boocock wore red and blue respectively, otherwise they wouldn't have been given the nicknames "the red devil" and "little boy blue".

Maybe they started the trend though. I've seen a picture of Barry Briggs from about 1968 with stripes down the arms of his leathers. Pretty unusual for the time.

And what about leathers outside the boots instead of inside? I seem to remember John Davis doign this when he first rode for reading and causing a bit of a stir.

Here's another one. Who was the last rider to still wear a monkey mask rather than full face helmet?

Jeremy Luckhurst was still using a Monkey Mask when he made a comeback for O*ford during the late nineties. They should be compulsory even now, they ruled!

As a (VERY) young kid I remember Nigel Boocock in his blue leathers and assumed that the 'captain' of every team wore different coloured leathers to represent thir special responsibilities :rolleyes::D

They should be compulsory even now, they ruled!

I agree. All the problems we are getting now are due to the demise of the monkey mask.

It was always quite a moment when a rider (usually Dave Jessup) pulled it down around his neck after a race or (in the case of Jessup) an engine failure.

I remember Norman Hunter doing it once. A moustache-tastic moment.

Well in the Wimbledon team photo of 1973 there are no riders with the classic black leathers.Only Neil Cameron has mainly black with red/yellow bands on his arms.

Edit:Actually the 72 team was also multi coloured apart from Neil Cameron as well

Edited by iris123

Ivan Mauger must have been the pioneer of multi coloured leathers, i have pics of him riding in yellow, red, white and black ones in 1971.

Well i have a pic of Olle Nygren in black & white(but they look multi-coloured)in his West Ham days.1969-70(?)

Edit:If you know what i mean :P:blink:

Edited by iris123

As a (VERY) young kid I remember Nigel Boocock in his blue leathers and assumed that the 'captain' of every team wore different coloured leathers to represent thir special responsibilities :rolleyes:  :D

I remember a quote from Nigel one night after he had to ride in borrowed (black) leathers "It felt like some other chap was riding me bike"

:D

Leathers were predominantly black until about 1971/72. Of course, there had been odd riders such as Nigel Boocock (blue), Mike Broadbanks and Greg Kentwell (red), Alan Cowland and (much earlier) Ken Le Breton (white) who deviated from the norm. Mauger and Briggs were two of the first riders to sport multi-coloured leathers.

As mentioned, Leicester were among the first to have "team" leathers, back in 1969. Wimbledon had a sort of team outfit in 1970 or 71 (can't remember which), with leathers which were black, with yellow and red stripes on the arms and legs.

Then there were other teams (West Ham, for example) who kitted the team out in football jerseys. There were a number of individuals also who often wore these, including Charlie Monk, and Bernt Persson.

Other "individual" tastes included Olle Nygren's white boots, Sture Lindblom's bow tie, and Ken 'Casper' Cameron's unique body colour!

Oh, and talking of fashions, don't forget those riders who wore scarves. I think Neil Collins was probably the last of that breed.

Steve

Leicester had red and yellow team leathers in 1969, the season they rode every match with the same 7 riders.

Other team leathers in the early 70's were Wolves in 71?

Also Cradley had team leathers in 1972 but opted rather strangly for a dark brown colour.

This is an interesting post-I had wondered about this issue myself. As a follower in the mid sixties , I well recall only three riders (I think) wearing coloured leathers-this would be in 1965-they were Boocock(blue), Broadbanks(red) and Cowland(white)-it was always a big deal when they rode.I liked the old days better-I hate the different colours now with ads all over.

Leathers were predominantly black until about 1971/72.  Of course, there had been odd riders such as Nigel Boocock (blue), Mike Broadbanks and Greg Kentwell (red), Alan Cowland and (much earlier) Ken Le Breton (white) who deviated from the norm.  Mauger and Briggs were two of the first riders to sport multi-coloured leathers.

As mentioned, Leicester were among the first to have "team" leathers, back in 1969.  Wimbledon had a sort of team outfit in 1970 or 71 (can't remember which), with leathers which were black, with yellow and red stripes on the arms and legs.

Then there were other teams (West Ham, for example) who kitted the team out in football jerseys.  There were a number of individuals also who often wore these, including Charlie Monk, and Bernt Persson.

Other "individual" tastes included Olle Nygren's white boots, Sture Lindblom's bow tie, and Ken 'Casper' Cameron's unique body colour!

Oh, and talking of fashions, don't forget those riders who wore scarves.  I think Neil Collins was probably the last of that breed.

Steve

As well as Olle Nygren wearing white boots there was also Bert Harkins who also wore white boots.

As well as Olle Nygren wearing white boots there was also Bert Harkins who also wore white boots.

In addition, Ivor Brown always rode with a white shirt over his Black Leathers in the early 60's. He always looked the more prestine rider of all time as both he and his bikes were spotless. Still remember his races with Ivan. It was best to keep out of the way on track or you could get injured for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. :D

:blink::blink:

In addition, Ivor Brown always rode with a white shirt over his Black Leathers in the early 60's. He always looked the more prestine rider of all time as both he and his bikes were spotless. Still remember his races with Ivan. It was best to keep out of the way on track or you could get injured for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  :D

:blink:  :blink:

Seem to remember reading some where that they had some kind of feud going on between them.

Edited by spin king