British Speedway Forum

Big Meeting At Poole

Rabbit - as usual it's left to yourself or Bob C to be the voice of reason. Incidentally, Bob reckoned around 4,000 when I saw him there yesterday - you two are a better judge than myself at Poole attendances, so around 4,000 it was. :wink:

Certainly puts those claiming that they were 5,500 there in their place. :rolleyes:

All the best

Rob

Sadly, it is the case (and has recently been proven conclusively) that there is only a minority of Poole fans who you can believe on this forum......the two who you name are certainly included.

If I were Matt Ford I'd be furious.

Don't you mean if you were Matt Ford you'd be pretty furious? :wink:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not hard to see why this sport is treated with contempt by the national press and anyone who takes sport seriously.

Supporters are charged £30 to see what is billed as the richest 60 seconds in motor sport history and end up being treated to the biggest con in motor sport history with one of the con men proudly declaring his part in the deception.

We have the bspa making stupid statements about the sport not being taken seriously when there is no promotion and relegation and yet expect it to be taken seriously when competitors are allowed to proudly announce that a race worth £60k to the the INDIVIDUAL winner has been rigged so that the prize money is shared equally. The prize money having been obtained from mug punters like me who have handed over my £30 in good faith.

There were four parties to this deception and I for one would like to know what action is going to be taken against them.

If something like this had happened in horse racing, with the jockeys colluding to share out prize money, you can guarantee that racing licences would be revoked and possible criminal procedings put in place.

DONT WORRY 190557 you are not the only mug who coffed up for the privilege of watchig a as billed NON EVENT RACE,BUT I AM A BIGGER MUG than you cos i backed HARRIS to win as i thought his newport win would make him sharper!!!!!!!!! i sulked all the way back from poole in the car from poole and now i discover the worlds 60,000 race was a non event!!!!!! my luck can only get better(cant it!!!!!!)

If the track being watered regularly equates too twice, once before the meeting, and once after heat 12, then i guess it must be regular, but certainly doesnt equate to regular in my book. stood on the first bend, and got covered in shale. We were crying out for the track for to be watered, and cheered when the finally decided to put some water on it, which dried out very quick, and found ourselves being covered again after heat 13.

........Then for nicki to go round the track for a final time, stood in the boot of a local poole cab was shocking presentation. Fireworks where pathetic also.

Very difficult conditions to judge to be perfectly honest. Track was soaking wet and very sludgy on arrival at the stadium at 10am-ish and it took constant grading for nearly 3 hours to get it to a decent state. Luckily the breeze got up which helped to dry it out, but not before I appear to have collected a large proportion of it on my shoes! :rolleyes: The meeting was raced with the constant threat of showers, any of which could have hit us and which were piling into the area - I know - we were keeping an eye on them on the rainfall radar all meeting in case anything should be building up and heading our way. At one stage mid-meeting it looked as if we were going to get unlucky, but thankfully it skimmed just to the north of us. So, agree, it may have been dusty, but decisions were taken based on the conditions and weather around on the day and knowing the riders, they wouldn't have wanted it watered anyway. And their say usually goes!

As for the cab, it's not a local taxi, just a vehicle bought for promotional purposes and painted with Poole advertising - replaces the Smart car used inprevious years. Not quite sure about the fireworks as it was still light and not a lot you can do when it's not got dark by the end of the meeting - guess frankie was just a bit too fast! :P I do agree with you about the track staff being a bit too quick off the mark to get back on track though whilst the presentations were still going on - we commented on the same.

Other than all that, I take it you had a great time? ;):P

Edited by rabbit

Well, you've just solved all the Elite League's problems. We'll just get all the riders to ride for nothing. :rolleyes:

I think money might be quite important to riders, somehow. :wink:

All the best

Rob

Dont be daft Rob, we are talking about a one off meeting right at the start of the season. Of course money is important but 15k each at the start of the season seems Ok. Fair play to Nicki as well. He was a bang on cert to win that final as everyone in the stadium knew, yet he chose to share. what on earth is wrong with you all. I think it is brilliant

Thats what I dont understand they decided to share it, whats the problem?

Easy the meetings was run under a winner takes take all event the richest 60 seconds in speedway the fact is it was not .

Because the 4 riders decided who ever won split with the other three, if they'd decided that whoever won was going to donate the money to say to the SRBF would you all still be moaning?

What ? you ask a question on what was wrong with spliting the money and i gave you an answer if a rider had won the meeting and then gave it to the srbf or lobbed the money into the crowd great he's free to do want he he wants to do with it .

The fact remains it was a winner take all evert and when those riders came to line for the final it was not.

Edited by orion

I am with Orion on this one, this was billed as a winner takes all meeting, how are we going to get the National sporting press interested when they see this sort of thing going on, the first thing that they are going to say was that it was rigged.

Well, when I was looking for somewhere to stand, I could walk up right to the fence on the third and fourth bend - hardly four or five deep. :rolleyes:

No way was there 5000 spectators there (it was 4000 at the maximum) - shame really because Matt Ford deserved a larger crowd after promoting this meetings so heavily.

All the best

Rob

And did you bother to come back down to the fourth bend again later to see if the situation had changed? Probably not. :rolleyes:

And did you count each and every person there to establish a 4000 maximum? Probably not. :rolleyes:

You will probably ask the same question of me as to how I thought there were 5000 there? Well, I'm basing my figures on the 3000-3500 average league gate. Certainly well above that. But hey, I don't care anyway. I enjoyed the day. It was great to see top class riders on show and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, as did most Poole fans. :approve:

Just thinking back to the final and watching the riders on the wind down lap i have never seen scott nicholls so pals with nicki,it was like he wanted to hug him,now i know why,also lee adams seemed to be nickis best friend!!!!!!!!! as for the final race andreas was giving it large on the bends which he seemed to enjoy but was going nowhere.i was 100% behind mr ford even before xmas on this big event but if he doesnt make a statement about this ,then that is the last time we will trust him,as he has a;ways come over with a breath of fresh air and what the sport needs.as for my bet on mr harris,was it mr harris under that crash helmet,he seemed to be all over the shot,maybe i put the mockers onhim!!!!!!!!!!

Okay Steve, to answer your points.

The facts I'm giving you are that Nicki and Martin Hagon have both said Nicki was forced out by the points limit - nothing to do with wages. I asked Nicki myself, so it's straight from the horse's mouth with no media manipulation or forming of opinions.

You ask "if he was asking for an increase" - well there's no proof that's happened, despite my asking on several occasions. The fact there hasn't even been a rumour that Nicki asked for a pay rise here (forget Sweden and Poland - they're not relevant in this argument) suggests that figures weren't discussed with any promotion, but if anyone knows different then please tell me!

Here are some more facts:

The points limit was reduced, meaning the top few riders in the world had to be evenly split, and you risked the trade off between having an out and out number one or strength in depth.

So Nicki could have stayed at Eastbourne. Wrong - Martin Hagon said as soon as he heard about the points limit being reduced it meant there wasn't a place for Nicki, although both sides have said they'd have liked to continue the rider/club relationship. I'd be willing to wager that finances weren't even discussed. Even if it were, Nicholls was reported to be asking for big money and they still signed him. Eastbourne have also stated that Nicki brings in the punters, meaning his wages are covered by the extra gates, so he's no financial risk (and at any rate, signing Nicki would have forced at least one of the top line Brits out of the British league. That would have really given people ammunition against Nicki, wouldn't it?) So, Eastbourne was ruled out because of the points limit - purely that, and nothing more.

Lakeside were always going to have Andreas, Peterborough had Hans, Swindon have Adams, Belle Vue had Crump, Coventry had to lose one of their top riders anyway, so there was no way they could accommodate Nicki, Ipswich were always going to retain Louis, and as soon as Hampel made his intentions clear (well before the points limit was changed) he was destined for them, and Poole couldn't fit Nicki in for the same reason as Coventry. That only leaves Wolves - the one team who are most vehement in saying how much they don't want him, and who have publicly stated that PK would have been fitted into the team had he wanted to come back. They were obviously going to keep Freddie and David, meaning, again, there was no room for Nicki because of the points limit.

Quite simply, Nicki was forced out due to not being able to be fitted in anywhere because of his average. Had he been on 7 points, I'm willing to bet that he would be riding in the British League this year, without a shadow of a doubt. Or do you disagree? And finally, your sentence I've highlighted in bold goes to prove my point - your own words, Steve. :P

For all your FACTS a hell a lot of it is no different to mine. An informed opinion.

I have heard from a reliable source, and no i wont name then because it was told to me in confidence , that Nicki initially had no intention of coming over and doing a full season. Thats from someone who talks to Nicki also by the way.

Im sure Nicki tells fans the complete truth when asked - maybe he does maybe he doesnt - ive no idea.

I know the line thats being fed NOW from the Pedersen camp is that he has been forced out - but like i said i heard different. Theres another FACT for you.

Ive already said with regards to the wages issue - NOBODY KNOWS!!!!! However its been in print that clubs abroad decided not to use him because he would cost to much. Call it rumour or not - it looks more than a rumour to me so no i wont discount it!

Ive also already discussed the Eastbourne situation. RIGHT! its what i said!!! Nicki wasnt back with Eastbourne because of the points limit. You could argue how loyal were Eastbourne to Nicki then? Really wanted NOT. Yet you slate Wolves for `obviously` not wanting him back.

How do you know wether Nicki was approached to come to Wolves and ride and what his decision was - did you ask him?

If you have that answer then ill listen - otherwise your just doing precisely what i do - try and mkake an informed choice of the situation.

You say that Eastbourne didnt see his wage bill a problem - yet in print its also stated that they were looking to go with balance and cut down the wages. Again your putting a spin on a discussion same as i am. Your opinion is no more correct than mine.

As already discussed also virtually all the other clubs hadnt got space for Nicki so of course he was going to br limited to where he could go.

As for the situation at Wolves - Who Knows??? Well CVS obviously does and your opinion on that is a very biased one. The fans hate Nicki as much as Nicki does us. He has said over and over in the press yet CVS would have us believe he is still popular at the club. He DOES have his supporters here who would love him back. PK was not going to do a full season and the rumour mill was suggested that Pedersen would be back as theres been veined references in the programmes last season about wether the time will be right to sell if he still doesnt ride for his parent club. So again one may think that he will at the minimum have spoken to wolves (CVS has already gone on record saying he asks Nicki each year what he wants to do the next season) and it can either be assumed he said NO THANKS or we would have gone a different path. And lets be honest if they would have PK back for a full season there was a chance the door was open for `number one` rider to be fitted in??

I think PK`s reluctance and possibly NP to come maybe forced the managers hand to go with the balance we have this season. Like i keep on stating. ONLY CVS WILL KNOW. As its our forum Wednesday its bound to be asked as it usually is. Maybe then you can decide wether you thoughts and opinions have any basis with regards to NP place at Wolves.

Rightly so that the stuck with Freddie and David this season - they actually want to ride for Wolves. Pedersen clearly doesnt. Anyway on that one i couldnt care less.

To finish - in your mind its quite simple. Doesn't necessarily mean it is.

Simplistically NP HAS been forced out by the reduction in averages . However his initial reluctance to do a full season and possibly asking for too much from the clubs that spoke to him (if any) and not wanting to come to Wolves meant the chance that he did have limited himself to the point that HE forced himself out!

Simple? might not be THAT simple.

You dont need to highlight points for me Schumi, im bright enough to read for myself - as i assume you are.

Edited by stevebrum

Bore off Brum. Anyway thought you only dealt in facts Steve? What facts do you know about the Pedersen situation Bum?

The splitting of the £60k has shat all over that whole meeting and has mugged off every person who witnessed the meeting and the history of Poole speedway.

Ford should be livid that the final four have carved up the final. Its been billed for months as winner takes all and it was nothing of the sort. Riders must have been pissing themselves laughing throughout the final. Do you really think they gave it 100% knowing they all had £15k in their sky rockets? Any fan who went and are defending the final four should have the word mug written on their forehead.

Feel sorry for Poole speedway and the fans who went, but with these riders in the sport at the moment as loyal as Ashley Cole its no wonder they put money before fair play. They have held the meeting in contempt and bought the sport into disrepute.

Matt Ford should be very angry and the fans who paid to go in even more so.

And did you bother to come back down to the fourth bend again later to see if the situation had changed? Probably not. :rolleyes:

And did you count each and every person there to establish a 4000 maximum? Probably not. :rolleyes:

You will probably ask the same question of me as to how I thought there were 5000 there? Well, I'm basing my figures on the 3000-3500 average league gate. Certainly well above that.

So the crowd increased by 1000 after the meeting had started? And yes, I did watch a couple of later races after the interval on the third/fourth bend (after coming around for a chinwag with someone) and still it was only 1 deep around there. :rolleyes:

I'll stick to the estimate of 4000 provided by Rabbit and Bob C - at least, they don't live in fantasy land. :wink:

Let me repeat that I thought it was a real shame that the meeting didn't attract a capacity crowd, after the tremendous amount of promotional work put in by Matt Ford.

All the best

Rob

How come no-one's printed Phil Chard's definitive report yet? :blink: That ought to settle all the Crowd Figure arguments, plus add a few choice words from Matt. :wink: Anything else is just speculation, but then that's what everyone seems to be good at round here. :unsure:

Maybe we should have a Sweep, 20 cents in, all profits towards Rabbit's shoe-cleaning bill. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should have a Sweep, 20 cents in, all profits towards Rabbit's shoe-cleaning bill. :rolleyes:

:lol: Not bothered about my old shoes - bit of dirt never hurt anyone - perhaps instead it could towards the cleaning of the nice new carpet around the PC I use in the grandstand where I think I finally left most of it. Whoops! :rolleyes:

Has anybody thought - the agreement to share the prize money for the final could have been agreed between ALL the riders BEFORE the first race . . .

You mean Nicki isn't the only bad guy in this? :shock::shock:

The fellow who posted the pics of this meeting on another thread and has now been approached (apparently) by the promotion to take take offline... Wasn't this sort of un-accreditated? photography banned two? seasons ago? You cant no longer take pro-cameras with zoom lenses in to stadiums and shoot for free? Goverment afraid of people taking pics of kids peeing behind trees and such... I'm not making this up :blink: