British Speedway Forum

Big Meeting At Poole

So the crowd was between 4,000 and 5,500!!!!

Considering the build up for the meeting thats not a great crowd. I've been to league matches where the crowd was much bigger. And I'm sure both play off finals & the world cup final when Scotty blew it attracted around 6,000

There was 7,500 for the World Cup final at Poole Rob, your facts are wrong again,

the same as your facts are wrong about Harry, me thinks sour grapes, springs to mind!!.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon there were possbly around 4000 there to ne honest. It was heaving inside the glass granstand on the lower level, over 250 people upstairs in addition to those outside. It wasn't 5000 no, but it was certainly more than 3000. Too many people getting caught up on crowd numbers - it was a great day, a great occasion, and pretty much all those who went enjoyed themselves. That's the most important thing imo, not the exact number of people there.

Rabbit - as usual it's left to yourself or Bob C to be the voice of reason. Incidentally, Bob reckoned around 4,000 when I saw him there yesterday - you two are a better judge than myself at Poole attendances, so around 4,000 it was. :wink:

Certainly puts those claiming that they were 5,500 there in their place. :rolleyes:

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

There was 7,500 for the World Cup final at Poole Rob, your facts are wrong again,

the same as your facts are wrong about Judas, me thinks sour grapes, springs to mind!!.

Post edited :wink:

Edited by Saint Rob

the same as your facts are wrong about Harry, me thinks sour grapes, springs to mind!!.

Surely not!!!

Saint Rob better be careful when Harry lifts up the FA Cup, if he is too near H will lift him by mistake :lol::lol::wink:

Not too much too say since it has been mostly covered but I will say;

Presentation: I thought was first class from the cheerleading to the announcing and the commentating. I like Dave Lanning even if he still does live in Dr Who' telephone box. Everything was great anda big well done to the promotion for putting on a proper spectacle. Good to see Cegielski and Lindback both there in attendance with some famous old faces like Briggo.

Crowd: Now I am going to be honest and say it was around the 3500 to 4000 mark and maybe even a bit over 4000.. It was pritty packed but it wasn't as heaving as when we won the Craven League?? at home to the Bees when the stadium was tip top almost 5-6000. Still great atmosphere and plenty of noise.

Racing: Was a little follow the leader as the track was a little too well prepared but got better after about the time all the riders had about 3 rides each and there was multiple passing inside and out. Jonsson was probably the most entertaining.

Riders: Fair play to Nicki. He is the best and showed why even after Bjarne had moved him back into third in H1 and since then he never looked back and was only troubled when Crumpy tried to pass on the outside of the first bend before typical Nicki cut him off. Typical Nicky but hard and fair. And personally think he was crazy for sharing the money, but glad for Scotty he did and Jonsson and Adams deserved something out of it too. Disappointed with Bjarne who let his GP mental state of following all around in his last two rides get the better of him and Crumpy was also surprisingly not on the gas. A big well done to Holder who is a huge find for Poole and could challenge for No 1 rider in the team this year.

Refereeing: What on earth was he doing in H17. I agree with SS and rabbit on this one. Jason was moving and maybe Bjarne could have heard him stop start or someone in the crowd yelling and Jason and went through the tapes. Crumpy probably should have been excluded which is why the 15 mts back rule makes a mockery of the sport. I like Jase but the referee messed that heat up for the crowd.

God: Great to see Big Arry in all his awe, but really disappointed I couldn't find him to sign my shirt I was wearing especially when I heard he was very approachable and it was good that he enjoyed the racing even if he did miss my bowing.

A great day though for those that came and watched some top skill and racing.

THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN a great start to the 2008 season,but in my mind the final race antics have sent speedway back 20 years.there should have been no question to anyone about sharing the 60,000 prize,the problem is speedway riders know each other so well,its a bit like old pals going out to race.i say again this sharing the prize should never have even been thought of,i like a punt on speedway and its just got to the stage where most bookmakers welcome speedway and are offering more and more bets on meetings.bet 365 were offering odds on this meeting so you can imagine if any news of this got back to them eveen if the race wasnt fixed they would have to think twice about taking bets on these kind of meetings.there is no way i would make the round trip to poole from london again if i knew this was goind to be the final outcome.

Not sure where you got your figure there from Starman2006 since I was told that the stadium with everyone in it (complying with health and safety blah blah) can hold about 6000, well at least that's what I heard from someone who told me what Mike had told them.

Not sure where you got your figure there from Starman2006 since I was told that the stadium with everyone in it (complying with health and safety blah blah) can hold about 6000, well at least that's what I heard from someone who told me what Mike had told them.

Don't remember the Temp stands, then?

THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN a great start to the 2008 season,but in my mind the final race antics have sent speedway back 20 years.there should have been no question to anyone about sharing the 60,000 prize,the problem is speedway riders know each other so well,its a bit like old pals going out to race.i say again this sharing the prize should never have even been thought of,i like a punt on speedway and its just got to the stage where most bookmakers welcome speedway and are offering more and more bets on meetings.bet 365 were offering odds on this meeting so you can imagine if any news of this got back to them eveen if the race wasnt fixed they would have to think twice about taking bets on these kind of meetings.there is no way i would make the round trip to poole from london again if i knew this was goind to be the final outcome.

Have to agree with the unease about the final race, and I think that it makes a mockery of the sport, I think this might be the last time that there will be a big winner takes all prize money, I think that the big attraction to this was the winner takes all.

Don't remember the Temp stands, then?

:oops:

Oh yeah, but still would that add up to 7500? Can't remember the crowd there tbh.

From Nicki Pedersen's website:

Nicki opens 2008 with splendid victory

09-03-2008

With a perfect seasonopener by winning Pooles Diamond Jubilee, Nicki showed that he is in perfect form for the 2008-season.

- Unless my first heat, I felt very good. There were some hard battles, but I think my very good starts meant the difference today, Nicki says.

Right before the final, where Nicki beat Andreas Jonsson, Scott Nicholls and Leigh Adams, the four racers decided to split the 60.000 GBP into four equal portions.

- I think it was the right decission to make. Now everybody are happy, Nicki says

Not having that!!!!! Nicki never said any of that not one "ya know" in there :o;)

Have to agree with the unease about the final race, and I think that it makes a mockery of the sport, I think this might be the last time that there will be a big winner takes all prize money, I think that the big attraction to this was the winner takes all.

All that advertising and hype about a winner take all final.

If they were gonna do it they should have kept it quiet and dealt with it among themselves. What will happen with the final GP now will the four riders be tempted to share that pot?

Kind of pees in the pot of not only the promoters but also the riders themselves cos no one will believe it again will they? So the punters are unlikely to roll up in their droves again and the riders could find that that is the end of speedway prize money attempting to go down the snooker route.

What would have happened if one bloke had said no if I win it's mine, if two or more of the other three decided to split you could have ended up with a farcical situation of pseudo team riding - 3 against 1!

I also agree that it will probably do speedway / bookie relationship no good.

Thinking about it now to outsiders it's making speedway look like WWF wrestling.

Brian Gay

In the final, the main granstand and all 5(?) of the temp grandstands were completely packed, as was the standing. I believe there probably was 7500, the place was packed.

Actually there were 7,131 that day/night back in 2004 :wink::approve:

In the final, the main granstand and all 5(?) of the temp grandstands were completely packed, as was the standing. I believe there probably was 7500, the place was packed.

Can't remember it....maybe I was on holiday. :oops:

Apologies Starman and Smartar..I mean Silver Bee.

The 'bird counted them in and counted them all out, but she failed to capture the fellow with the mysterious red light.

No I just looked it up in the archives :unsure: but it felt like I handed out that many proggies believe me! :lol::unsure:

When I go there at 2.30pm, people without tickets were walking straight into the stadium - there wasn't a queue.

And anyone who thinks there was 5000 people there yeseterday is wrong - the 3rd/4th bend was nearly empty (it was only 1 deep at the front). For a critical Poole vs Oxford match in August 2001 it was PACKED.

And before, I get accused of being anti-Poole, can I make it clear that I have applauded Matt Ford's heavy promotion of the meeting throughout. He's set an example for others follow. He deserved a capacity crowd.

But unfortunately there some Pirates fan who live in cloud cuckooland. :rolleyes:

All the best

Rob

Thank you Rob, I thought I was going mad. I enjoyed the meeting it was a great start to the season, but Poole DID get it wrong how the tickets were sold. People WERE put off travelling. I know that as fact. Bit of a shame. Poole fans are taking it too personal it was a fantastic idea and I thought most of the riders for their first meeting back were excellent. Who cares if the riders split the money, we seen World Class and no one got hurt.

It's not hard to see why this sport is treated with contempt by the national press and anyone who takes sport seriously.

Supporters are charged £30 to see what is billed as the richest 60 seconds in motor sport history and end up being treated to the biggest con in motor sport history with one of the con men proudly declaring his part in the deception.

We have the bspa making stupid statements about the sport not being taken seriously when there is no promotion and relegation and yet expect it to be taken seriously when competitors are allowed to proudly announce that a race worth £60k to the the INDIVIDUAL winner has been rigged so that the prize money is shared equally. The prize money having been obtained from mug punters like me who have handed over my £30 in good faith.

There were four parties to this deception and I for one would like to know what action is going to be taken against them.

If something like this had happened in horse racing, with the jockeys colluding to share out prize money, you can guarantee that racing licences would be revoked and possible criminal procedings put in place.