British Speedway Forum

Visited Today

superdons

By arrangement, any friends visiting the museum and Paradise Park could always pop into my place for a cuppa! :D

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a committee meeting today and I brought up the concerns about separate ticketing. As I suggested the Park would find it difficult to deal with this for the reasons stated, i.e. that once you are in the Park you can go anywhere.

However, there are three initiatives which might help...

1. In a few weeks time, the Speedway Star will be publishing a half price voucher for Park entry. This will be half price to the Park, but as it is being published in the Speedway Star, the Park hope that it is mainly going to be used by speedway enthusiasts wishing to see the Speedway Museum and not by members of the general public generally just to get in to the Park half price (if you see what I mean).

2. The Speedway Museum is holding an "80th Anniversary Barbecue" on April 26th in the Park Grounds which will include a visit to the Museum of course. Anyone can come to this and it will cost £7 or £8 (not sure which), so that will be another way to get to see the Museum for less than the cost of a Park entry ticket (and get a barbecue as well!)

3. Members of the WSRA can get in the Park for nothing by showing their membership card.

Incidentally, I would like to add that the Museum is now looking better than ever. The manager, Elaine, has done a tremendous job on reshaping the exhibition and if you haven't been for some time it is well worth another visit as the display has improved beyond all recognition.

Thanks for the update Norbald.

congratulations to you and the committee for coming up with some resolutions that address the on going admission problem.

Question, when I visited in June there was a young lady there as manager with connections with Iwade, I put her name in my notes as Debbie, has there been a change of manager or did I just get the name wrong?

If any Australian input is needed please contact mr.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Visited the museum today with the kids. First thing I noticed was how small it is, but boy..is it packed full of memorabillia or what!!!!

We spent a good 20 minutes wandering round before settling into the small screening booth to watch some vintage 70's racing. Only left because the boy was getting bored and wanted to play in the adjoining ball park.

I'd have gladly spent much longer looking around at the various exhibits and watching more vintage footage.

The only drawback was having to spend £21 and a couple of hours walking the kids around the zoo with it's lifeless collection of animals (the big cats were particularly disappointing) and digest a particularly horrible vegeburger in the tatty diner before we could take in the museum.

On the whole I'd definitely suggest you take a trip one saturday afternoon before popping over to Rye House, but take your own food or wait until you get to Rye House for the fish 'n chips :P

The only drawback was having to spend £21 and a couple of hours walking the kids around the zoo with it's lifeless collection of animals....

Strewth! Is everything dead then? :shock: .. :lol:

Somewhere down south and not far from Rye House, so that would be in Essex then I think. :unsure:

Or even Hertfordshire now I've checked. http://www.pwpark.com/

No mention of the speedway musem. :neutral:

Edited by Gemini

Somewhere down south and not far from Rye House, so that would be in Essex then I think. :unsure:

Or even Hertfordshire now I've checked. http://www.pwpark.com/

It's not really advertised much once you've entered the park. It's tucked out of the way behind the kiddies ball park. We were in the museum for half an hour.....nobody else came in.

That camel that tried to bite me was pretty real!

From the expression "tried to bite me" I take it that it failed? Hope the Zoo vet sorts its eyesight problem then! :lol::wink:

Edited by Bryn

• 2 weeks later...
These are the admission prices for the London Zoo in Regents Park......

Adult £13

Child (3-15) £10

Under 3s FREE

Student/Senior Citizen/Disabled £11.50

Saver ticket: 2 adults & 2 children or 1 adult & 3 children = £41

For each disabled person, 1 carer can receive free admission.

Adults pay less, but kids pay more, although London Zoo is MUCH larger than Paradise Wildlife Park.

I worked out that admission to each for the four of us would be £31 to Paradise and £31.50 to London Zoo. It seems that Paradise is a little overpriced.

If you collect Tesco club card points then you can use your vouchers to purchase tickets to Paradise Wildlife Park under their 'days out' club card deals scheme. Currently only £3 worth of clubcard vouchers will get 1 adult admission. Click here for more info Tesco Club Card Deals

The Museum Committee is considering a way of having a separate ticket just for the museum. The problem is the logistics though because the museum is inside the Park, so once you are in there is no physical way of stopping anyone from going round the rest of the park.The pricing policy of the Park itself has nothing to do with the Speedway Museum.

Ive visited Paradise Park both before and since the museum opened and to be honest the Park is excellent value for money especially for younger children, the museum is a bonus for speedway fans, its not a place to go to for a couple of hours, its perfect for a full day out from the time it opens right up to closing time

Following the debate with interest. Paradise Park is a great day out and has a lot of attractions to offer for all the family. My kids have (or used to have) season tickets and regularly go with their mates every Friday during the summer. Not yet been to the museum myself, though it should be accessible separately for those who don't want to do the full park experience. I expect the park owners would object on the grounds that they want to leverage some benefit from having speedway fans visiting, though bringing people to the area and allowing them to see the opportunities should convey a lot of goodwill too. There should be a bit of cross-marketing to advertise both the park and the museum.

Just one question from me as a northerner.Where is paradise park?

Somewhere down south and not far from Rye House, so that would be in Essex then I think. :unsure:Or even Hertfordshire now I've checked. http://www.pwpark.com/

It's out in Broxbourne woods, a few miles from the sprawling metropolis that is Broxbourne and a short drive from Hoddesdon and Rye House speedway. I live in Broxbourne on the Herts/Essex border and Paradise Park is about 4.5 miles from home.

I think one other thing has to be remembered in this debate and that is that without Peter Sampson and Paradise Park we wouldn't have a Speedway Museum. They gave the land free and paid for much of the construction costs. They also currently pay for the maintenance and utilities and allow members of staff to work in the Museum, carrying out maintenance and other work, without any cross charging. As well as this direct support, it also means that the Museum does not have to have its own security staff or any special emergency procedures and so on.

Without this sort of support it is highly probable that the Museum would be unable to cover its running costs without a substantial entrance fee anyway.

True - we are incredibly lucky to have that degree of support, though PPwould undoubtedly factored into that calculation increased revenues they expected to earn.