British Speedway Forum

Leszno Gp May 10th 2008

Nicholls and Harris are just not quick enough over the first lap and never will be IMO, not enough to get anywhere near a World Championship rostrum anyway.
As someone who has watched a lot of Bomber racing, myself and other haver agreed he is probably one of the fastest rider in the World on lap 4, but it take shim so long to build up any speed. It's exciting and great to watch but won't win him any World Championships.

In the last 2 weeks for Coventry, Bomber has made some awesome starts but, as he did last night, he has been rolling. I guess he has little to lose, he gets flier and leads, or he misses it and is where he would be if he made a normal Bomber start.

The answer to what we have is

Chris Harris, Simon Stead, Edward Kennett, Lewis Bridger, James Wright, Daniel King, Ollie Allen and Steve Boxall at EL level

Simon Stead?! If he is the answer, we're up rubbish creek without a paddle! Then as much as I love Olly, really? Good rider but never a GP rider. David Howe is a better call that Olly and you have not listed him, not that I think he's got it in him either. Not sure King has it in him either and Boxall has missed the boat IMO, may make a decent EL rider but not a top GP rider.

Of that lot, Bomber has half a chance, Kennett could do it and if Bridge knuckles down he has the ability.

I'd say Woffinden has a far greater chance than the lot of them and we may even get a shock rider, lets be honest, how many times throughout his career was Bomber touted as a GP rider? Not really during his CL/PL days and his first full year in the EL was pitiful. So maybe we'll get another rider sneak up from no where.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a theory as to why Olsen insists on slick tracks.

After watching him trying to shoo the victory cars round last night, when they were quite rightly allowing the fans to salute the victors and vice versa, I've decided that Olsen has TV schedules written right thro the middle of him. He thinks with a slick track the riders will be strung out, less racing, less chance of crashes and therefore re-runs that would disrupt his TV schedule. Fans clearly don't have any place in Olsen's psyche.

I'm open to any better explanations

He's not the only one with schedules to keep and fans not high on the agenda, that was made abundantly clear at the doomed EL Pairs at Lynn :(

He's not the only one with schedules to keep and fans not high on the agenda, that was made abundantly clear at the doomed EL Pairs at Lynn :(

Thing is, would the Elite League pairs have been doomed if Olsen was there to nod his head at the riders?

Of that lot, Bomber has half a chance, Kennett could do it and if Bridge knuckles down he has the ability.

I'd say Woffinden has a far greater chance than the lot of them

yeah I did miss david howe out because I was trying to look at things realistically..... he has already been at the top level for several years averaging the same amount and being home biased with his average on the whole.... I think it is doubtful he is going to make the leap to top quality... just my peronal opinion....... I missed out others who either progress too slowly or have levelled out

The thing is that it is very difficult to say who is going to make it and who isnt..... werent a lot of people saying Lewis bridger was a nailed on cert for world champion a couple of seasons ago? I dont think there are many saying he is a 'cert' at the moment.............as you rightly point out bomber is not in the same category he used to be (with howe, stead, neath etc)

lol remind me how old Steve Boxall is? The biggest crimes to his name are being a lightening gater, doing relatively well in the world u21 champs, doing well with his similarly aged peers ........ ok the real crimes are choosing to stay down for another season last year and not stamping his authority. There are questions over Steve but they have nothing to do with 'missing the boat'..... he has a good amount of time yet before that is determined!

The fact that we can actually talk about the future fortunes of the guys because they are just a handful speaks volumes for me. If we had more home grown riders in our leagues the woffindens, bridgers, complins and kenny carters would be the cream of the effortless crop while a number of guys like bomber and jeremy doncaster graft to get there......... there just isnt enough support or competition

Edited by spook

Crump was silly, he built the speed up from the previous bend and should have made an easy pass. He was so much faster than Pedersen.

Why he wasn't as far left as he could have been, away from Nicki, only he knows.

He made it too easy for the ref to throw him out.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me which Heat was a good one...?

1 Because Nicki would have continued to come as far left as Jason would have allowed.

2 The one above the rest was dire.

Silly of me. After watching the SWC last year at Leszno I thought we would be in for a treat, but forgot about the Olsen factor.

Completely ruined the track as usual by putting no material down.

The sooner he is gone from the race director role the better for the series and the none Danish riders.

Fair play to Nicki. The dying swan act done the job.

No Wuckin' Furries cuz, I'll be there with Bells on!! :rolleyes: (Should make me easy to recognise!! :lol: )

Just back after even more beer Dave me and Brian and the rest of the crew totally wrecked.

Jean in bed, cant stand the pace

bad news is that we have to return home tomorrow

Rybnik was a great match last heat decider Poznan winning 46 44

make yourself available for next year

dont forget travel Know All

I tell you what's annoying.

Going for a weekend to Burnham-on-Sea. Going round the pubs on Saturday afternoon trying to get someone to put the speedway on. Finding a pub who are happy to show it.

Then, getting into a conversation with some drinkers in the pub about how they went to Somerset once and found speedway (for want of a better word) boring. I explained how Somerset has a reputation for good racing and that, just like any sport there were good meetings and bad ones. I suggested they gived Somerset another chance, and also that they watched a little of the GP to show how exciting speedway could be.

Didn't I feel stupid.

Just back after even more beer Dave me and Brian and the rest of the crew totally wrecked.

Jean in bed, cant stand the pace

bad news is that we have to return home tomorrow

Rybnik was a great match last heat decider Poznan winning 46 44

make yourself available for next year

dont forget travel Know All

Just watching the DVD of Team Oz ( Swindon) v Eastbourne (again). Fan*******tastic!! Anybody good (i.e. Australian) in the Polish League match?

Save some beer for me youse ********!! :lol:

Just watching the DVD of Team Oz ( Swindon) v Eastbourne (again). Fan*******tastic!! Anybody good (i.e. Australian) in the Polish League match?

No Aussies in this one Dave just got back to sunny old England and the beer aint gonna be as cheap as you know watched the GP on disc its a good one for you its on its way down to you

Briefly.., probably nothing new to what's been said already.

Gollob - still wondering what happened there.. :unsure: 5th place is not a tragedy but Krsko and Leszno showed once again what it's like to be a faithful Gollob fan - pround and over the moon after win or trying to keep your head up after another defeat. The same story every year.. but I've not lost my hope yet :rolleyes:

Nicki P - what a pathetic actor. Properly booed by almost everyone at the stadium.

Racing - hoped for something special as this track can provide great speedway action. But was not surprised it did not this time. As long as Ole O is in control you can't expect much...

Atmosphere at the stadium - superb. Would have enjoyed it if were not a Gollob fan or were from Leszno.

Anyway, as always it was a pleasure to meet everyone I met up throughout this weekend - in Poznan and in Leszno. Those who I see every time as well as those who I met up for the first time :) That's what GP weekends are about :wink:

A great weekend in sunny Poland the beer was good the speedway was 1st class the polish league meeting was best speedway i,ve seen this season , next year Dave join us on a Know All Tour and have time of your life , ps Dave - Jean is a lightweight . See ya in 2009 . Travel Know All

A great weekend in sunny Poland the beer was good the speedway was 1st class the polish league meeting was best speedway i,ve seen this season , next year Dave join us on a Know All Tour and have time of your life , ps Dave - Jean is a lightweight . See ya in 2009 . Travel Know All

Thats good coming from you Haza about someone in such a high profile position as Jean is seeing as you were laid out on the concrete bench in the town square about midnight last night but will agree what a meeting yesterday and Skornicki has done it again tonight

This was my first experience of the GP outside of Cardiff, and while the racing might not have been what you would call 'classic' the atmosphere in the stadium was out of this world. The Polish certainly know how to get behind their boys and just make lots of noise in general!

The entire weekend was awesome (brilliantly organised by Blazeaway, the best big brother in the world!) and I am going to start saving my pennies to go again next year, as I have to experience something like that again.

As for the Nicki v Crump controversy - I think the ref got it right. Nicki was in front and yes he realised that Crump was trying to overtake. So he tried to clamp down on him and Crump knocked him off. But I'll accept that at the moment of contact Crump could be seen to be slightly in front and therefore NP could have been excluded. A tough call for the ref but overall I think he just about called it correctly.

Then (without naming names!), on the way back to our hotel a certain flame haired rider drove past our minibus and with absolutely no provocation appeared to be very impolite when he saw that a couple of us had Nicki Pedersen hats on. Fair enough he was still a little upset about his exclusion but I would expect better from a double world champion than the disgraceful language he seemed to direct at us... We didn't know whether to be angry or laugh. We'd had a few drinks and a great time so settled for the latter. :lol:

(and to be fair he gets that from fans of his opponent's every meeting I suppose!)

Edited by DonsFanSW

Gollob - still wondering what happened there.. :unsure: 5th place is not a tragedy but Krsko and Leszno showed once again what it's like to be a faithful Gollob fan - pround and over the moon after win or trying to keep your head up after another defeat. The same story every year.. but I've not lost my hope yet :rolleyes:

Nicki P - what a pathetic actor. Properly booed by almost everyone at the stadium.

Racing - hoped for something special as this track can provide great speedway action. But was not surprised it did not this time. As long as Ole O is in control you can't expect much...

Atmosphere at the stadium - superb. Would have enjoyed it if were not a Gollob fan or were from Leszno.

Anyway, as always it was a pleasure to meet everyone I met up throughout this weekend - in Poznan and in Leszno. Those who I see every time as well as those who I met up for the first time :) That's what GP weekends are about :wink:

I suggested they give Somerset another chance, and also that they watched a little of the GP to show how exciting speedway could be.

Didn't I feel stupid.

I've only just watched the G.P. after my NTL box decided it was going to pack in on Saturday night and following some of the comments on the forum I was expecting it to be boring. It must be me because I thought the racing was okay and most of it very good.

Could have been worse - you could have told them to watch the league match on Monday. Now that was boring! :neutral:

I've only just watched the G.P. after my NTL box decided it was going to pack in on Saturday night and following some of the comments on the forum I was expecting it to be boring. It must be me because I thought the racing was okay and most of it very good.

Could have been worse - you could have told them to watch the league match on Monday. Now that was boring! :neutral:

Have to agree. I thought the racing was ok too.

But as the analysis of the event has been thrashed to death what about that female interviewer? If it's just for the glamour there are plenty of knowlegable women who know about motorsport and Sky have a number of superb women interviewers. Yet they bring out a complete bimbo who can only ask inane questions that would have been more suitable in a mag for U12s. :blink:

The only thing she didn't ask was "What's your favourite meal?"

She sounded Aussie so is that part of the deal? There are other alternatives but they might be inappropriate :oops:

Post by Ped's dad Trev.

Cheers Mateusz it was great to meet you. Good summary although Nicki is not that bad. He could have fell off at Bydgoczsz when Gollob dived under him. That would have made him even more unpopular with you Poles if that is possible

My thanks to the people of Leszno for making us so welcome. The atmosphere and live music on the Friday and Saturday night was fantastic, I think the whole town came out on the Friday night. My ears are still buzzing with the chants of Lee, Lee, Lee Adams. Also the number of people who offered us somewhere to spend the night rather than travel back to Poznan was amazing. It was after 3 on the saturday night / sunday morning when we got back to Leszno Station, and we were stopped from getting on the Poznan train by the Polish Police who were on the train. We then fell asleep with many others in the waiting room. I woke about 4 with a train pulling into the station, I woke Ped and we jumped on the train, fell asleep again and woke up at about 5.30 with the train pulling into the station. Unfortunately the station was Wroclaw, we had only got on the wrong train. Another ticket needed and another journey. We arrived back in our hotel in Poznan at 8.30. How is that for a mature sensible 52 year old. That's Poland for you. It did not spoil our sunday though, we travelled to Gnezno for a third division match with Rico, Dave and James. Big crowd and the racing was brilliant, much better than the GP. Rico much better at organizing the train journey's than I was. The day finished at 3 on the Sunday morning after a night in Poznan and someone from a rugby trip doing a streak round the square. Great day lad's thanks for your company. See you Soon.

Makes you wonder if the Grand Prix system is no longer the big event that it was, for me it is getting like Formula 1 where only a handful of riders really stand a chance to win the event or stand a chance, the rest are also rans, not stop me going to Cardiff again this year, but does make me wonder whether the series needs a good looking at.

I was very dissappointed with the racing, or lack of it. The build up was fantastic and they kept saying(or words to the effect) that it was the greatest racing trck in speedway!!

I am afraid that I don't see the Polish tracks like that because it seems that you have to make the gate and then keep the throttle wide open!

It was certainly not a GP for the marginals...

Hello -

I had no time earlier to write anything about Lezno SGP.

Fantastic day, maybe except racing - comparing it to last year`s SWC Final and Race Off it was boring meeting but:

1. It was nice to meet you all that I met this day :-) : Pedropete [anh your father?], Blazeaway [and Your cousin], Rico, Henry W - as usuall :-)

2. Thanks for all stuff that you`ve brought to exchange, I hope You will enjoy those stuff that I gave you

3. Blazeaway - I couldn`t find You in Press Conference room after the meeting, so send me Your Home address to make me send You promised meetings from Poland :-)

4. Here You can find pics from Leszno: http://picasaweb.google.pl/lawrence.pbnf/E...xLeszno10052008

Maybe someone will regognize himself? :-) Please let anyone know about this site, to watch my pics :-)

Maybe someday I will be able to take pics for Speedway Star? :-)

5. Regards - I will write soon my thoughts about Leszno here :-)