British Speedway Forum

Brisbane Smith

miro

Brisbane Smith was an English pioneer speedway rider from 1928 raced mainly on the southern tracks. Somewhere I have the story of how he got his name and what his first name was.......when I find the details :rolleyes: I will post it ;)

Write a thousand times :blink:

I must organise my filing system....I must org.....................

Rider in question adopted the name Brisbane Smith because he figured he would get more rides if people thought he was Australian, wasn't that it?

I was just curious about his true identity, I read it somewhere a couple of years ago.

Edited by miro

I think you are right about that. The story may have been in the Speedway researcher I think

Until this day, I always thought that Brisbane Smith was a pioneer Australian, as was Bill Sticpwich (!). I know Bill was an Aussie - he rode for Rochdale in 1929 and is well documented. He later drove midget cars in Australia for a few years from 1935.

What happened to Brisbane Smith after 1928?

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Edited by speedyguy

I think you are right about that. The story may have been in the Speedway researcher I think

:D

Star ghost I think the story was on the 'Speedway History Forum', unfortunatly all was lost when the site went down a while back? :cry:

I think the story arose while discussing Digger Pugh?

Edited by Nigel

:D

Star ghost I think the story was on the 'Speedway History Forum', unfortunatly all was lost when the site went down a while back?  :cry:

I think the story arose while discussing Digger Pugh?

John 'Digger' Pugh. That's another name from the past. He of course played a major role in bringing stock car racing to England at New Cross in 1954. Pugh was great showman as a promoter - something akin to being a 'second Johnnie Hoskins' in that respect.

Pugh was also a speedway rider in the late 1920s and possibly just into the start of the 1930s.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

• 4 weeks later...
'Brisbane Smith' was an alias, was it not, used by an English rider at the end of the 1920s.

Can anyone remind me of his real name?

I can't give you his real name as I don't know it.

He was NOT an Australian.

I think you'll find he was killed performing the Wall of Death act in a midget car at the Poole Fair.

speedyguy - I know of two riders by the name of Sticpewich (that's how I spell it anyway) who raced during the pioneering years in Australia.