British Speedway Forum

Coaching

fatface

Unlike many other sports, it seems to me that speedway - or British speedway at least - doesn't bother with coaching much. Why?

I think Louis Carr has some sort of youth development role with the BSPA. But I'm talking about with EL/PL Teams and GB as well. Many are advised by team managers who have never even ridden a bike.

I thought the Brits battled well with limited resources at the World Cup. But looking to the future I see the likes of Simon Stead, Chris Harris and David Howe and it doesn't fill me with a great deal of hope.

I think they are all talented, but are missing one or two vital ingredients. Wouldn't it be good if they could turn to someone - say Peter Collins - who really help them move in the right direction. As it is, it seems like these guys have to make it despite, rather than because of, the system.

• 4 years later...

You're spot on here. The ACU have been trying to get coaching and "academy" squads going for all motorcycle sport, including speedway, but in the end it needs support from track owners and the riders themselves. In road racing and motocross the development squads have been working quite well and are likely to receive more (private) funding. Speedway is unique in that riders are paid quite early in their careers, operate mostly without major sponsors, and rely on club interest or a personal mentor to help them develop. Having said that, the riders you mentioned are all from the youth scene and Harris in particular is already at the top level. He certainly isn't lacking much now.

Your suggestion about PC is an interesting one. I remember his development qute well. He was exceptionally talented, and he was taken under the wing of Ivan Mauger at Belle Vue for a while when he was just 16. In turn, I've no doubt he could help many young riders develop their professional skills (not just riding skills). But there are qute a few who could do a good job. It's about turning talent into success. I've seen it achieved in other sports too and it makes a huge difference. But I can't see where the leadership would come from in speedway to do this on a National scale. The ACU/SCB? - probably not; the BSPA? - even less likely! Anyone else? ......

Unlike many other sports, it seems to me that speedway - or British speedway at least - doesn't bother with coaching much. Why?

Self interest, easier and cheaper to buy in a ready made / part way there foreigners than spend the time, effort and money developing talent in house. Obviously this is a generalisation and I'm sure there are pockets of good practice out there but fundamentally the system is structured in such a way that long term development of riders is almost pointless from a financial / practical point of view. The annual merry-go-round of rider changes each post season to fit the latest average points limit is hardly an incentive either

Speedway is unique in that riders are paid quite early in their careers, operate mostly without major sponsors, and rely on club interest or a personal mentor to help them develop...

But I can't see where the leadership would come from in speedway to do this on a National scale. The ACU/SCB? - probably not; the BSPA? - even less likely! Anyone else? ......

Whilst this is undoubtably part of the problem it could also be part of the solution if clubs saw any potential benefit in developing their own riders they may take look more favourably on coaching, however so many are living a hand to mouth financial existance at present its going to be a pretty hard sell to talk about 'investment' in future riders

The SRA/VSRA ......  B)

Regards.

PS.

Funded in part by the BSPA & a %? of licence fees...... To easy.  ;)

Not sure how this would work, % of licence fees which riders can then 'spend' at tracks to get track time / finance equipment / coaching? Who would administer who received the money and how much and measure what sort of return was received for the investment

A more radical option (pipe dream) would be to restructure UK speedway along the lines of major league baseball in the US with 'major' teams (effectively the EL however it is made up post conference this year) and attached 'minor' teams (anything below EL level and including the CL). Riders would be signed to an EL side from the start of their careers which would hopefully encourage the top clubs to take an interest in what was going on lower down the ladder, PL and CL clubs would hopefully benefit from being part of a larger (more financially stable) organisation with a focus on bringing riders through to the EL side

The other thing that would make 'coaching' a greater priority would be to standardise the equipment used in the CL thus linking success more closely with trackcraft than the ability to raise finance to fund 'better' equipment

I think Louis Carr has some sort of youth development role with the BSPA.  But I'm talking about with EL/PL Teams and GB as well. Many are advised by team managers who have never even ridden a bike.

I thought the Brits battled well with limited resources at the World Cup. But looking to the future I see the likes of Simon Stead, Chris Harris and David Howe and it doesn't fill me with a great deal of hope.

I think they are all talented, but are missing one or two vital ingredients. Wouldn't it be good if they could turn to someone - say Peter Collins - who really help them move in the right direction. As it is, it seems like these guys have to make it despite, rather than because of, the system.

Peter Adams, Chris Van Straaten, Matt Ford, Gareth Rogers, Jonathan Chapman etc etc . . . . .

Josh Auty, Joe Haines, Lewis Bridger, Adam Roynon, Steve Boxall, (Tai Woffiden) etc etc

]Josh Auty, Joe Haines, Lewis Bridger, Adam Roynon, Steve Boxall, (Tai Woffiden) etc etc

While the riders you name are improving and will become british "stars" without better coaching they will only be british "stars". IMO the problem with british riders is a lack of overseas experience as demonstrated by the poor WC qualification rounds this year, the best brit was R.Hall.

British fans and riders think that the only league is the BEL. The world stops at the English Channel, after Coventry the "we can win the SWC" posters were out in force. Then comes Poland and the truth was clear for everyone to see, a sad day for British speedway indeed.

Other than the current GP riders and M.Loram who has the experience.

A. Smith, D Norris, you can make your own list but these are the people who need to be involved with a serious coaching system if British speedway is to have an international future.

• 3 weeks later...
While the riders you name are improving and will become british "stars" without better coaching they will only be british "stars". IMO the problem with british riders is a lack of overseas experience as demonstrated by the poor WC qualification rounds this year, the best brit was R.Hall.

British fans and riders think that the only league is the BEL. The world stops at the English Channel, after Coventry the "we can win the SWC" posters were out in force. Then comes Poland and the truth was clear for everyone to see, a sad day for British speedway indeed.

Other than the current GP riders and M.Loram who has the experience.

A. Smith, D Norris, you can make your own list but these are the people who need to be involved with a serious coaching system if British speedway is to have an international future.

The first area of coaching as far as British riders is concerned is making starts. This is something which has plagued us over numerous years. It is not just a matter of reaction to the tapes going up but getting to the first turn ahead of the opposition, driving out the second bend then completing the move at bend three which, quite often than not, is where the race is won.

Just look at Nicki Pedersen. Comentators are telling you that this gate and that gate are not working but he can make every gate work. Often, he doesn't make the start from the gate but is there at the first bend and beyond.