British Speedway Forum

Newcastle Diamonds 1964

BOBBATH

Was trying to remember the make-up of this great team. I recall Ivan Mauger, Bill Andrew, Pete Kelly,Ken Sharples, Mike Watkin,Russ Dent, Jack Winstanley?Does that sound rite??.Is Pete Kelly still alive-anyone remember 1964 PL Champ Final-Pete was in a run off for 3rd place with Roy Trigg but lost.In 64 Hackney were favorites to win title-were in front for quite a while but then the diamonds had a tremendous unbeaten run.

Theres an excellent website on the history of Newcastle Speedway here: http://www.newcastlespeedwayhistory.co.uk/

Two photos on there of the 1964 team. One has: Pete Kelly, Jack Winstanley, Mike Watkin, Goog Allen, Ivan Mauger, Ken Sharples, Russ Dent, Bill Andrews, Morrie Robinson. HERE

The other has: Dent, Allen, Watkin, Sharples, Winstanley, Andrews, Mauger. HERE

I'm not sure if Bill Andrews is the same as Bill Andrew. I do seem to remember reading these were two different riders, but might be wrong.

Actually, it looks like there are quite a few pictures on there from 1964. Worth a look. 1964 is covered in the 1960s part two.

Edited by Grachan

Theres an excellent website on the history of Newcastle Speedway here: http://www.newcastlespeedwayhistory.co.uk/

Two photos on there of the 1964 team. One has: Pete Kelly, Jack Winstanley, Mike Watkin, Goog Allen, Ivan Mauger, Ken Sharples, Russ Dent, Bill Andrews, Morrie Robinson. HERE

The other has: Dent, Allen, Watkin, Sharples, Winstanley, Andrews, Mauger. HERE

I'm not sure if Bill Andrews is the same as Bill Andrew. I do seem to remember reading these were two different riders, but might be wrong.

Actually, it looks like there are quite a few pictures on there from 1964. Worth a look. 1964 is covered in the 1960s part two.

It is the same Bill Andrew who was also a jockey. Last I heard about Peter Kelly was that he took his family to New Zealand I think in the late 60's. He was a painter and decorator.

BTW The site is run by a forumer DantoDan.

:blink::blink:

Edited by Tsunami

I recall Bill Andrew having a tremendous punch up with Peter Vandenberg in 1965-Bill rode for Poole then-what happened to Morrie Robinson who I remember well.I guess Russ Dent and Mike Watkin still live in the North east??

I recall Bill Andrew having a tremendous punch up with Peter Vandenberg in 1965-Bill rode for Poole then-what happened to Morrie Robinson who I remember well.I guess Russ Dent and Mike Watkin still live in the North east??

Met Morrie a couple of years ago at Worky where he had come to support the Diamonds from I think Manchester where he is living. He will be at the Berwick 40th Anniversary meeting on Saturday btw.

Russ is often around Brough, still lives beside Consett in Durham and turned up for our 25th annivesary a couple of years ago. Looks well fed these days but still smiles a lot.

Mike finished speedway and was a sports rep for a while. I spoke with him for the 75th anniversary meeting and he is in charge of a swimming club down south(Middlesex) and looks after them in competitions. Mike was a county swimmer when young and became a swimming coach hence his taking over the swimming club. Grew up with Mike in our teens and in the same class as Mike's first wife. Nice guy. :)

:blink::blink:

Grachan-thanx for directing me to the Newcastle speedway site its great-Tsunami-I remember talking to Mike Watkin in the mid sixties-you are right an extremely nice guy.Re Russ Dent and Consett does Dave Younghusband still live there also??

Was trying to remember the make-up of this great team. I recall Ivan Mauger, Bill Andrew, Pete Kelly,Ken Sharples, Mike Watkin,Russ Dent, Jack Winstanley?Does that sound rite??.Is Pete Kelly still alive-anyone remember 1964 PL Champ Final-Pete was in a run off for 3rd place with Roy Trigg but lost.In 64 Hackney were favorites to win title-were in front for quite a while but then the diamonds had a tremendous unbeaten run.

Peter is still alive he lives in New Zealand now and has just been in touch with me with some excellent pics from his career check it out at http://www.newcastlespeedwayhistory.co.uk/...part%20four.htm

Grachan-thanx for directing me to the Newcastle speedway site its great-Tsunami-I remember talking to Mike Watkin in the mid sixties-you are right an extremely nice guy.Re Russ Dent and Consett does Dave Younghusband still live there also??

Yes Dave still lives locally but down Teeside way. He had a tragedy in his family when his son was badly injured trials riding and is now in a wheelchair.

The History Site relies on the memories and pictures etc that fans and riders have collected. If you want to contribute just send me an email jskinner06@btinternet.com