British Speedway Forum

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use you head and think, how many people are going to turn up when the home nation is not even riding in the World Cup because they haven't qualified!

Yes I agree it would be good to have it on a neutral track like in Czech Rep but its never going to happen because there would be no one there with no home team to support.

Ok, I will use my head.

So using your theory, you don't mind then if next year, Poole host the EL Pairs, Riders Championship, KO Cup Final and EL Final just because we have one of the biggest set of supporters in the league. :unsure:

So why did he need to be there then.

Just send the team he picked, which looked good, and leave them to it. He could have satyed at home and watched it on TV if what you say is true.

Sorry Halo, I know you obviously feel passionate about this (and I dont blame you)but the buck has to stop with someone and if he wants to put his case forward for who above him is resonsible then I would listen.

But at the moment that is where the buck stops and on tonights performance its  not looking good for him.

Sorry :(

Sorry Sandie I think you have this wrong. Exchange the name Middlo and replace it with Harris, Nicholls and Richardson. They let us down big time. If they don't want to ride for TeamGB then there are dozens of young lads who do. Their efforts were pathetic and what could Middlo do other than to gee them up before a race.

It's down to the riders to race, and they didn't. Only they are to blame.

Think you'll fing Scott passed Hans because Hand made a desperate lunge on Gollob, second behind Gollob wasn't enough.

Don't think Scott would have got near if Hans had settled for second.

And there was me thinking that Hans had "something wrong with my engine" :lol:

Great quote from Nigel Pearson at the end, saying that Gollob is a Polish legend alongside the likes of Jerzy Dudek.

Maybe Gregorz Lato, Kazimierz Deyna or Jerzy Szczakiel but Dudek - no :D

I am sure they will all take the blame even Ed, Stead and Allen who are learning will still say sorry.

I would like to point out, that yes we were bad but then to the people saying it was pathetic, crap etc I would like to disagree this and then cast their minds back to the 1992??? WC Final held at Coventry where we scored less and got hammered more by the Danes, Swedes and the Americans and we had experienced world class riders and we were on our home track.

There isn't much point trawling the records to find a worse performance.Look to the future.If i saw right Denmark had Nicolai Klindt in the pits helping out and gaining some valuable experience.Where were the young Brits?

Like others have said the format is flawed.It is obvious going into the race-off gives teams an advantage.Poland looked miles faster at first,but the Danes did get themselves into it.Why couldn't we?

Congratulations first of all to the Poles! Anyone bar the dirty Danes was good enough for me, and once Crump hit the tapes on his tactical ride, it was clear that only the Poles could stop them. Special mention to Gollob; when he rides like he did last night, there is no finer sight in speedway. What a star. :approve:

As has already been discussed at length, it was a desperate night for Team GB, with Harris in particular failing to show his current Elite / GP form. Stead and Kennett were simply outclassed, and while Rico and Scott were occasionally competitive, none of the Brits can be pleased with their night's work. :(

As it was, we only finished 3 points ahead of Norway, and "they" had 20 less rides than we did. :blink:

One thing that hasn't been covered here is the form of the Aussies - most perplexing, considering many of the pundits thought that there was nothing between them, the Danes and the Poles before the meeting. For starters, it certainly seemed odd that the Clean One only scored 5 points from 5 rides (and 1 of them a gift when Rico packed up) having looked at his imperious best on Thursday (4 heat wins from 5). For someone who has ridded Leszno for years as his home circuit it was a total mystery. :unsure:

Edited by Seb the Snail

Well there is now way I am trawling back through all the pages on here to just read everyone saying how badly Team GB rode and yet still claiming it is all Middlo's fault!

In the league here, if a team does badly it is ALWAYS "this rider let us down" and "that rider was not good enough" and yet when he get to the SWC all the blame seems to be aimed at the Team Manager! :blink:

Now fair enough, think we all expected Ed, Simon and Oliver to be out of their depth in Poland but who could we have replaced them with that would have been any better? Joe Screen, Chris Louis, Gary Havelock - all riders that could do well but are all nearing the ends of their career now! There are no other youngsters that are better than Ed or Simon (and fit before we get the David Howe fan club here again)

To me, we were seriously let down by Scott, Chris and Lee - these are suppose to be our top brits, and they prove week in/week out that they can beat the best! last night they showed that this is only the case when they are on a track that suit them!

And as bad as they were, Australia were not much better with Leigh failing to win a race on a track that he has ridden for in the Polish League for 12 years! That says something about track set-up too to me.

As for Poland suddenly declaring that Walasek was unfit to take any further part in the meeting, think we all knew that was a crock from the outset, but pleased he was well enough to celebrate with them afterwards on the podium! :rolleyes: Now, whilst I don't agree with Team GB bringing in Allen or with Australia bringing in Schlien, I guess they decided what was good for the goose and all that!

But, we now have that out of the way for another year and can get back to the nitty gritty of League racing here in Britain!

Well at least we know that to get the gate money BSI, IMG, MFI or what ever they will be called next year will probably hold the world cup every other year in Poland, So from now on One year the Poles will be world champions the next they will be lucky to scrape through to the final.

Congratulations to Poland and bad luck to Denmark.

Poland looked miles faster at first,but the Danes did get themselves into it.Why couldn't we?

Quote myself as i have just seen that Denmark(from what i have seen led by Olsen!)protested about the machines used by Gollob and Kasprzak.After being taken apart and examined everything was in order though

Sorry Sandie I think you have this wrong. Exchange the name Middlo and replace it with Harris, Nicholls and Richardson. They let us down big time. If they don't want to ride for TeamGB then there are dozens of young lads who do. Their efforts were pathetic and what could Middlo do other than to gee them up before a race.

Steve, I do not deny that at all, every one of the GB riders was so far of he pace it was ridiculous. As for why - I have no idea, maybe we will find out in time.

But Middlo is responsible for them.

If there were to be a 2nd meeting next week I would ask who he would pick now based on these performances. Or if a new manager were bought in - who they would pick.

In Industry its not the workers who have to go, its the Chairman or Director and the same in Football. I appreciate what Suzie has said as well that in League speedway we always say - Rider out, so why should WTC be any different.

I just dont think that ANY of them performed last night - riders or manager.

Now question is (which is being discussed on another thread) should Middlo go or not. Cause if he goes shouldnt that go for the riders as well?!

I dont know the answer myself as I dont know who would be a suitable replacement for any of them. But based on last nights performance something went terribly wrong and we can only hope it was a one off.

We know they can ALL do better than that.

What is it with this "Americanised" crap???...TEAM GB..for God's sake it is just GREAT BRITAIN. The Danes were robbed, the Poles were whingers, the Aussies were not themselves and GB were rubbish. I had to laugh at the stupid commentator who half way through the meeting said that Denmark had done well to stay in contention with the Poles...who were out of this world....the Danes were only two points behind, so they also must have been out of tihs world?...never have I seen a whingeing exercise like Kelvin and his mate performed.."Our time will come"...."Look at the riders we have coming through"..."We were always going to be underdogs"...oh really???....it did not sound like that to me when Middleditch was being interviewed at the semi final a few nights previously. Typical British mentality..."we are the best"....RUBBISH!!!!!!.. Oh and another statement..."We could win this in five years"...last time I heard that was five years ago!!!

Well Done Ex Diamonds Nicki Pedersen, Bjarne Pedersen and Kenneth Bjerre (what a comeback that lad is making) and Hans Andersen and Nils K Iversen...they never had a stomach ache all night! :angry:

Edited by Mauger_Magic

The boys were all very disappointing last night bar Nicholls to some extent who seemed to ride his heart out. I am sure that Stead and Kennett will gain from this experience but seemed to continually ride the wrong lines surely the team manager could have informed them a little better. I agree he has very little raw material to work with and I am not sure another manager would have produced a great deal more. The real disappointment for me was that the set ups looked completely wrong as we were so far off the pace, Scotty has constantly said this season that he has not been completely happy with his machinery since making the change from Jawa to GM but Chris has looked particularly fast all season with his motors expertly tuned by Brian Anderson and was the biggest disappointment of the night for me.

Of the others well done to Denmark who for me were a little unlucky to lose with Hans losing one heat victory when the race was stopped, over the two legs they were the far better side. Poland ride in three meetings coming third, second and now are the World Champions where did that improvement come from??? they were certainly a different side from the one we saw last Saturday and Thursday. I expected a little more from the Aussies especially Leigh Adams on his home track.

A good meeting but it will be interesting to see where British speedway goes from here, and next year I believe Denmark will win where ever the meeting his held.

Who are these dozens of riders you refer to, the riders we had last night were not good enough that was plain for anyone to see but they are the best we have so whinging about them does nothing.

Going on your assumptions Adams should be kicked out of the Aussie team because he was pathetic.!!!

We lost it's as simple as that but to suggest we have better riders available that is pathetic.

POLSKA!!!!!

Have just got home from Leszno :D It was a magic night, this final was perfect. There was everything there - lots of fight at the track, a close result (well, between Poles and Danes :P ) decided in the last heat, stunning atmosphere at the full stadium and of course Crump doing the tape as a joker :D

Will upload lots of pics and vids later tonight.

And ye, F U Ole O.!

Quote myself as i have just seen that Denmark(from what i have seen led by Olsen!)protested about the machines used by Gollob and Kasprzak.After being taken apart and examined everything was in order though

Can't find that Olo O. should have anything to do with this anywhere Doug !!

It should be true that the Danes ( Jan Staechman on behalf of the team ) made a protest (!?!) over TG and KK´s bikes which calls for the technical examiner to check them. It took a while because at first the examiner claimed that the right tools for measurements wasn´t present !!

According to the info i can find, the bikes were finally checked and found within regulations.

Peter

SS, I think it is correct for you to support Middlo but then to lay the blame on Nicholls Harris and Richardson is not right.

Nicholls in particular fought a lone battle and at least provided some entertainment, Richardson as we know has never been great at level (although often producing his best performances in the WTC) Bomber was a very strange one, perhaps he felt the pressure a bit riding for his country and not himself (ala gp's) if so I expect him to learn from it and come back better.

I am not sure how much involvement a team manager has with the riders however they consistently picked the wrong lines and they should be clever enough to work this out themselves without having a middle aged man telling them where to put the back wheel.

One thing I did disagree with and thought this on monday was that we had our riding order incorrect and in the final we were under massive amounts of pressure by heat 3 and this was never going to be our strongest heat.

Last night looked as though the bar was suddenly raised in the terms of the WTC with the Aussies and GB being left behind.

However Middlo is the ONLY man willing to do the job, I do believe he said at the start of the season that he would step aside if others wanted it.

Nicholls, Harris, Stead Kennett and Richardson were the best men available for the job. They all tried their hardest and were simply outclassed, this is more indicative of the state of English speedway rather than a reflection of the people who went to represent us last night. I mean (with no disrespect) but we should not be travelling to the WTC final with Olly Allen in the squad, nor with Kennet making his full international debut.

That bit came from a Polish fan on the german forum,Peter.I looked on sportowefakty and Olsens name is mentioned,but my Polish is worse than my Danish so just guess this guy knows what it says :D

Must say though that on watching the first few heats i thought maybe something funny was going on.Gollob was so much better than the previous two meetings and can't remember who he passed in his first heat but he left them all for dead.

It should be true that the Danes ( Jan Staechman on behalf of the team ) made a protest (!?!) over TG and KK´s bikes which calls for the technical examiner to check them. It took a while because at first the examiner claimed that the right tools for measurements wasn´t present !!

According to the info i can find, the bikes were finally checked and found within regulations.

Peter

I dont know why everybody is so shocked, it is a major tournament and it certainly would not be the first time something like this would have happened.