British Speedway Forum

World Cup At Coventry

I reckon the crowd tomorrow night will be small.

They missed a big opportunity here. Why didn't they run the meeting today, weather permitting? Sunday would have meants fans travelling from all over the country to support TeamGB. Tomorrow people are at work and won't be able to travel. Add to that the extra expense of getting in, and it also being on Sky, and I think we will be lucky to see a couple of thousand there.

I would have gone today, but would rather watch it on TV tomorrow. Others will think the same.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They missed a big opportunity here. Why didn't they run the meeting today, weather permitting? Sunday would have meants fans travelling from all over the country to support TeamGB. Tomorrow people are at work and won't be able to travel. Add to that the extra expense of getting in, and it also being on Sky, and I think we will be lucky to see a couple of thousand there.

I would have gone today, but would rather watch it on TV tomorrow. Others will think the same.

some people might be glad your not there having read about the bees v pirates thread ;)

They missed a big opportunity here. Why didn't they run the meeting today, weather permitting?

Another reason they weren't holding it today is that all the officials (BSI/ IMG) were in Denmark last night. A bit of mad dash to get prepared and to Coventry for this morning.

Also bear in mind that today/ this afternoon was probably the restaging day for the Vojens meeting anyway.

Rain, rain and more rain...so it wouldn't have worked out anyway.

Beautiful day yesterday, but there ya go  :rolleyes:

But how would they have known about the rain if the date of today was chosen months ago? That's just unfortunate. (By the way sunny here this morning in Dorset and no rain forecast)

An ideal opportunity to get behind TeamGB has been lost. I predict a smaller crowd than Coventry usuallly get for home meetings, though hope I am wrong.

Another reason they weren't holding it today is that all the officials (BSI/ IMG) were in Denmark last night. A bit of mad dash to get prepared and to Coventry for this morning.

Also bear in mind that today/ this afternoon was probably the restaging day for the Vojens meeting anyway.

Don't see why Coventry could have been today and the restaging at Voyens couldn't have been at the same time. The riders don't clash. Are BSI so small they haven't enough staff to be in two places at the same time? :rolleyes:

As for TV, well Sky would show the TeamGB over a bunch of Jonny Foreigners anyway.

But how would they have known about the rain if the date of today was chosen months ago? That's just unfortunate. (By the way sunny here this morning in Dorset and no rain forecast)

An ideal opportunity to get behind TeamGB has been lost. I predict a smaller crowd than Coventry usuallly get for home meetings, though hope I am wrong.

Cant agree with you on this SS,surely fans from Wolves P/bora,B Vue,Swindon Oxford,plus all the PL&CL clubs that are relatively close will travel to this match.

I think the crowd will be good,i just hope the raceing is.

Don't see why Coventry could have been today and the restaging at Voyens couldn't have been at the same time. The riders don't clash. Are BSI so small they haven't enough staff to be in two places at the same time? :rolleyes:

BSI operate with a very small number of staff. 99.9% of the time that number of staff is sufficient and cost effective.

Cant agree with you on this SS,surely fans from Wolves P/bora,B Vue,Swindon Oxford,plus all the PL&CL clubs that are relatively close will travel to this match.

I think the crowd will be good,i just hope the raceing is.

I'm from Peterborough, but much as I would love to go to Coventry there's no way I could make it in time after work. I wish they had run it on a weekend too, but I'll have to watch on Sky.

I predict a smaller crowd than Coventry usually get for home meetings, though hope I am wrong.

My thoughts as well Steve. It will be interesting to see how many do actually turn up but judging by how many Bees fans are not even bothering to go, and those living further away who can't because of work commitments, it's not looking good.

I hope I'm wrong as well but looking on the bright side at least it might mean there will be room for me in my usual place. :D

I have decided not to bother, I can spend £33 and then add on some more for beers, or I can go down the pub and spend that £33 on beer. I may have still been tempted to go if the line up had been stronger.

Yes the line-up is poor. It looks like Jonsson won't be in the team now and, in any case, Sweden do not have many riders of quality to choose from anyway. As for the USA - why isn't Hamill riding as I haven't heard that he is injured. If Team GB can't dominate this lot then it is a sad day for British Speedway. Watch out for the Ruskies though. A couple of their riders looked very impressive in the Under 21 quarter final qualifier at Rye House last month. Let's face it if they can get round that tight circuit they can certainly spring a few surprises at Brandon.