British Speedway Forum

WTC Humble Pie

If Jason Lyons had not be doing his rolling starts, I think Great Britian would have made to the final last night.

No mention of Deano's movement at the start of each race he was in though :P:P

I really cannot see the point in all this hassle. Yes Norris rode brilliantly, and riding for his country obviously meant the world to him. Well done to him and the rest of the team BUT the fact is we are in the race-off exactly the same position as we would have been had Harris and Stead ridden.

No Star Lady not exactly the same at all. We are in the play off's on the back of an excellent performance, one which will give the lads a real belief that when we get there the final is still winnable.

so you're saying that he did what he was taken for, which makes him absolutely the right choice, right? and yes he and the others will do the business on thursday. get ready to watch them in the final.

Nope i'm just saying the moaning minnie couldnt fail to score what he did considering he is allegedly a EL star. Norris is a joke and tbh Team england would have been better off haking harris and stead who probably would have scored the same.

keep your head in the sand and your butt in the air decker and the rest of us will enjoy watching the selected team GB in the final. :P

Well I was wrong, and prepared to admit it. I've never seen Norris so determined or commited. Fantastic display. He was mixing it with the Aussies. It was Havy and Deano who only beat the also rans. (except that move on Todd, class.)

All the lads were gating well so I think they'll be OK off the inside gates. Not sure about Havy having to go from the outside in a five man race.

Agree that it would have been good to give the young lads the experience. However, would they have been able to outpace the Czechs and the Fins to get us through tonight? Honestly, I doubt it.

;):P

Guest Sir Lunchalot

I still think GB have "got it wrong" for the future. Realistically if they weren't going to win they should have taken at least one younger rider for the experience.

There is an argument that Australia have made the same mistake too. It's Todd's last year, to be honest Jason Lyons and a few other Aussies not in the team (Johnno, Craig Boyce, Shane Parker) can't have many more years at the top left in them either.

Shame there isn't a system of 6 man squads where Australia could have taken Adam Shields and given him a ride in the opening round.

I for one have been behind Team GB all the way!

Middlo has had his fair share from the critics and so far has proved them wrong, .... like someone else has said on the forum..... IF we don't qualify will he get another tongue lashing :P or IF we win the finals will he be the best thing since sliced bread for choosing a team that no-one else would of :P (except me lol ;) )

COME ON YOU B

goggles wrote:  

the rest of us will enjoy watching the selected team GB in the final.  

Not me  Goooooooooooooo Poland

Best reason in the world to jettison this Team GB nonsense and be what we really are - England

After all the Scots don't have a rider anywhere near getting in the team.

Possibly the Czechs, if they're ALL up for it but, after Kylmakorpi and possibly Laukkanen, I can't see any of the Finns scoring points.

But you're right, the Swedes and Brits had better be focussed, or else....

Sam.

Not me Goooooooooooooo Poland
Best reason in the world to jettison this Team GB nonsense and be what we really are - England

After all the Scots don't have a rider anywhere near getting in the team.

Very true and none of us Scots ever thought of it as other than Team England :P Hence goooooooooooo Poland :twisted:

More humble pie for me. I didn't fancy Havy from the outside and he proved me wrong.:oops: I said Havy and Deano didn't do that much in first match, and they were brilliant tonight. David was slightly off the pace until his lsat ride. What a start that was! Scotty was better than Monday, and Lee was great again.

Well done lads. :D:D:D

I never let the facts get in the way of a good gag Midnight Lady. Any Scottish person has all the right in world to be proud of such a beautiful country that has given the world so much.

So come on you Brits - get on that rostrum and give British speedway the shot in the arm it deserves.

They've run the 5 man races and whooped the otehrs out of site. The bikes are banging away like billio - one fault in 50 races! The mechanics have played a blinder so far and nobody looks underpowered.

Only a handful of the other 20 riders scored more than any Brit yesterday in what was 5 of the top 8 nations in the world. Fact. Their tails are up and Saturday is going suit them better. Teams are going to take points off each other race by race, yet they know any of our boys could win any race. GB haven't so much stuck a foot in the door as kicked the thing open.

Whatever happens Saturday they did GB proud.