British Speedway Forum

History Of Speedway.........

Trackman

:wink:

Can you dispel the myth of the starting gate for me please as I don't want to perpetuate any myths in my forthcoming Crystal Palace book do I...? :)

:D . The starting gate idea was I believe taken from horse racing. The device was first used in 1897 at Newmarket races but had been used even earlier in the colonies. It is not known who invented the device at the present time. Elasticised webbing was used not tape, in 1929 this was changed to 6 unbreakable ropes, .....pity the poor jockey whose horse was a bit keen! The gate was replaced by stalls in 1965. (Source :-National Horse racing Museum, Newmarket) There is photo of the horsey starting gate in " All Sports Weekly" April 20th 1929. p20.

It would appear that Mockford and Shepard adapted and developed the idea for speedway. (thank god they did). If the device had been their invention I feel they would have patented it.

The early Speedway gate suffered the same problem as the Horsey version, as it was manually operated jockeys could anticipate the actions of the starter, as can be seen from the well known speedway photo with the starter pulling on the stirrup handle. :wink:

On the Speedway Star video series' History of Speedway' non other than Peter York mentions the starting gate Idea came from horse racing.

Coloured helmet covers were another idea taken from horse racing.

Edited by Nigel

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wink:

:D .  The starting gate idea was I believe taken from horse racing. The device was first used in 1897 at Newmarket races but had been used even earlier in the colonies. It is not known who invented the device at the present time. Elasticised webbing was used not tape, in 1929 this was changed to 6 unbreakable ropes, .....pity the poor jockey whose horse was a bit keen!  The gate was replaced by stalls in 1965. (Source :-National Horse racing Museum, Newmarket) There is photo of the horsey starting gate in " All Sports Weekly" April 20th 1929. p20.

It would appear that Mockford and Shepard adapted and developed the idea for speedway. (thank god they did). If the device had been their invention I feel they would have patented it.

The early Speedway gate suffered the same problem as the Horsey version, as it was manually operated  jockeys could anticipate the actions of the starter, as can be seen from the well known speedway photo with the starter pulling on the stirrup handle. :wink:

On the Speedway Star video series' History of Speedway'  non other than Peter York  mentions the starting gate Idea came from horse racing.

Coloured helmet covers were another idea taken from horse racing.

Phew! That's a relief. I thought you were going to say it was used at a speedway track somewhere else before Crystal Palace. :)

It is quite clear in the early reports in the Speedway News that they had adopted the idea from horse racing.

Just seen this linked to from speedwayplus.Interesting article on motorbike racing in Ireland.With an early trotting track meeting 1902 and also plenty of sand racing in 1915-1930's period.Although what sort of sand racing it was....guess some sort of alternative to road racing as it was over very long distances

Ireland

Very interesting, iris.

Especally this bit: "The first MCUI event was a ‘run’ from Gough Statue in Dublin’s Phoenix Park to Bray, on 20th April 1902, and their first race meeting was on the cinder track at Ashtown Trotting Track, Co Dublin, on 18th October 1902. Bob Stevens was the winner of both the 10 mile handicap and one mile scratch races, riding a Phoenix machine."

Cinder track, one mile, 1902!!!

Phew! That's a relief. I thought you were going to say it was used at a speedway track somewhere else before Crystal Palace. :)

:D

Er ...I was not going to mention this ..but there are rumours and I stress 'rumours' that another track in London was experimenting with the idea, but I wont say anything more in case I start a 'myth'. I have no concrete proof only hearsay, so I should stick to plan A . :wink:

Edited by Nigel

The start of dirt-track/speedway in the USA? There's a photo of a 1923 dirt-track meeting in Indiana on the yahoo site

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

It shows riders racing on a track with spectaors watching from the centre as well as the outside of the track. It's in PHOTOS in the album 'veteran riders pre-1939.'

Edited by speedyguy

Thanks Speedyguy......... B)

Post 1939 Midget Car Speedway, with Ronnie Moore in 1955 & Jack Parker in Sydney, 1954(?) ....... :rolleyes:http://sports.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/ol...tos/browse/be9c

.... and more

http://sports.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/ol...speedway/photos

Regards.

PS.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway/

Edited by Trackman

Come on Brummy Grumpy Nigel. :P .. give us you 16th sermon.  :rolleyes:

Regards.  B)

Слушает, котор Bruce, оно будет Brummie не Brummy, вами австралиец мозга мертво осуждает, идет игра с вашим трактором. Я не говорю вам ничего. Получите с вашего большого австралийского задняя сторона и проведите исследование ваше собственное исследование :P:D

Speedway racing "Generally acknowledged" ;) as one of the most popular ancient sports. Often dangerous to both riders, who frequently suffered serious injury and even death, the sport generated strong spectator enthusiasm comparable to modern-day interest in motor sports. Some of the organizational aspects of the racing also paralleled current practices in professional sports. In teams represented different groups of financial backers and sometimes competed for the services of particularly skilled drivers. These teams became the focus of intense support among spectators, and occasional disturbances broke out between followers of different teams. The conflicts sometimes became politicized, as the sport began to transcend the races themselves and started to affect society overall. This helps explain why the BSPA emperors took control of the teams and appointed many officials to oversee them. The sport faded in importance after that. :rolleyes:

The race was begun by a procession into the hippodrome, while a herald announced the names of the drivers and owners. The hippodrome at Olympia was about 600 yards long and 300 yards wide. The tethrippon consisted of twelve laps around the hippodrome, with sharp turns around the posts at either end. Various mechanical devices were used, including the starting gates....

Does speedway teams racing start with Julius Caesar around 50 BC, his track had a length of about 600 metres, or was it..... According to Roman legend, racing was used by Romulus just after he founded Rome in 753 BC..... ;)

To me it looks like we started teams racing on two wheels with 4hp, back in 680 BC

Regards.

PS.

If so, is Ben Hur our first world Champion? :blink:

Edited by Trackman

G/Day Ross.

When you see the chariot riders stance when racing and especially in the turns they look like a speedway rider as they slide around the turns... the "race" itself has a lot of similarities as does the form of power which in its day was the GP class. 4 horse = 4 hp, 4valve :approve:

.... 3 inlet 1 exhaust... ;)

Regards.

PS.

I can't help thinking, Speedway of some sort has been on earth for a long, long time. ;)