British Speedway Forum

History Of Speedway.........

Trackman

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norman, I see now how things have got crossed up...its so easy on these forums. my jibe was not aimed at the 'quote' or the original writer :wink: ..I did not want to cover old ground, my aim was to provoke a response from the poster who used that quote.. a naughty little imp by the name of trackman ....seems he delights from stirring things up.. I am the wiser :lol:

what I want to know is does the track grader have to travel anti clockwise.. if the grader circulates clockwise is this considered not to be track grading.?....er Trackman :blink:

Edited by Nigel

Norman, I see now how things have got crossed up...its so easy on these forums. my jibe was not aimed at the 'quote' or the original writer :wink: ..I did not want to cover old ground, my aim was to provoke a response  from the poster who used that quote.. a naughty little imp by the name of trackman ....seems he delights from stirring things up.. I am the wiser :lol:

what I want to know is does the track grader have to travel anti clockwise.. if the grader circulates clockwise is this considered not to be track grading.?....er Trackman :blink:

I'm only a Tractorr Driverr who circulates... so don't get clockwise with me. :P

Regards.

PS.

or I'll slicken off your gate real quick! B)

Edited by Trackman

Now they pick on my Grader. :mad:

Regards.

PS.

Is nothing sacred? :blink: ...........

Took me 3 years 6 bannings and a big dent in my Bunkers roof, to get that Grader..... God knows how much Oxford Supporters payed for it . ;) ... I think the end results speaks for its self . B) .... Chris Brown and Bryn are glad thay have a Grader too! coz Trackman don't ring them up every week asking for one. :rolleyes:

I'll slicken off your gate real quick!  B)

I bet you say that to all the girls

Have you 'pulled' much with your tractor...... I take it you are still in circulation

Is yours a big red one :blink: ...............................the tractor that is :rolleyes:

did you make the grade?..................there's more, there's more :lol:

Edited by Nigel

Fair play to you all for having a go thank you ;)  Try this one... Who is he!  http://au.msnusers.com/speedwaypeople/shoe...Photo&PhotoID=3

Regards.

PS.

I wonder if that look comes with the breast plate?...... 

Question too difficult? .... :lol:

Try this one.

"Vic Huxley, Dick Smythe, Frank Pearce, Arch Pritchard and Syd Bayley were all on the Davies Park programme on Saturday September 24, 1927. But it wasn’t the performances on the night of these riders that the 8,000 or so spectators present at the meeting wanted to talk about during the ensuing days"....

Question....

" Who was they all talking about" ???

roscoe will know..... Hope he don't tell too soon.... ;)

Question too difficult? ....  :lol:

Try this one.

"Vic Huxley, Dick Smythe, Frank Pearce, Arch Pritchard and Syd Bayley were all on the Davies Park programme on Saturday September 24, 1927. But it wasn’t the performances on the night of these riders that the 8,000 or so spectators present at the meeting wanted to talk about during the ensuing days"....

Question....

roscoe will know..... Hope he don't tell too soon.... ;)

I thought that was familiar when I started reading it. It ought to have been... I wrote it. :lol:

I won't give it away on you Phil.

Trackman ...quote:- The first meeting in the UK is generally acknowledged to have taken place at High Beech on 19 February 1928.  end quote .

This  "Generally acknowledged" statement... used frequently, not just in this situation.... generally acknowleged  by who???... "Sun" readers? ....nomads in Outer Mongolia?... the great unwashed? ....those who believe everything they read...those who have not got a clue about history. Those who rely on hearsay. :lol:

I wasn't going to comment on the expressions "generally acknowledged" / "generally accepted" / "widely accepted / "widely recognised" etc, but have decided to do so.

I have been guilty of using such an expression myself (as I was reminded in an email from a member of this Forum yesterday).

My take on the term is that the point in question is accepted as fact my the masses. I used the term when writing of Johnnie Hoskins and the first Maitland Showground season. I wrote (and the article is still on the site): -

" Regular Carnivals were staged at that time on the Maitland Showground by various bodies as a source of revenue raising. Working in his capacity as Secretary to the H.R.A.& H.A., Hoskins organized a Sports Carnival which was staged on the Showground on Saturday evening December 15th., 1923. This Carnival was a charity event staged to benefit the local orphanages and the H.R.A.& H.A. The programme staged on the night consisted of cycling events, horse events, trotting, athletics and motorcycle racing.This was the first occasion motorcycle racing had been staged at the venue.This date is widely recognized as the day on which speedway as we know it was born."

That last sentence is the one in question. What I wrote is fact - the date is still accepted by the masses as seeing the "start of speedway". That doesn't mean the masses are correct - which they aren't. But how does one convince them. What I didn't write was that "speedway as we know it was born on that day". There is a difference between that and what I wrote in the last sentence.

I used the term in question very carefully and deliberately to avoid a confrontation with another writer who was at the same time writing for the magazine in which my article appeared. In hindsight, I wish I had finished that paragraph differently.

Question too difficult? ....

Try this one.

Question....

Jack Cloake and his 5 year old son

http://www.ausm.info/aus_history/ashist_header.htm

Click on we start them young.

One for Tackman

where and when was the first Club run speedway in the World?

(until someone tells me different)

If I'm wrong. :rolleyes: .... how come no one else disagrees?    ;)

Regards.

PS.

Come on tell us, who and where.  ;)

There was one I know of in Australia which pre-dates November 30, 1929.

The owner of the property on which this track was built stipulated the club inform him whenever members were going to turn up for a practice session - he had to shift his cows out of the paddock.

If my memory hasn't let me down, the date of the first meeting at this track was the same date as the first ever meeting held at a famous Brisbane venue.

There was one I know of in Australia which pre-dates November 30, 1929.

The owner of the property on which this track was built stipulated the club inform him whenever members were going to turn up for a practice session - he had to shift his cows out of the paddock.

If my memory hasn't let me down, the date of the first meeting at this track was the same date as the first ever meeting held at a famous Brisbane venue.

Of course you are correct Ross.

Smithfield Speedway in South Australia Ist meeting

Oct 16th 1926.

Run by the Motorcycle Club of South Australia.

Edited by spiderweb