British Speedway Forum

History Of Speedway.........

Trackman

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did anyone get ten out of ten, seeing as the answer to the first question is contetious :blink: ..... did not notice the year 1927 among the choices. :rolleyes:

I dont think any of you were paying the quiz much attention.... own up!.. you were watching the Eurovision song contest :oops:

Edited by Nigel

Well, it's my belief that the first proper speedway meeting in this country with bikes with no brakes, a proper dirt track and broadsiding was the second meeting at High Beech held on 9 April 1928. I don't think Droyslden, Camberley or the first High Beech meeting had any of that.

So 1928 it is then! :D:P

Edited by norbold

Well, it's my belief that the first proper speedway meeting in this country with bikes with no brakes, a proper dirt track and broadsiding was the second meeting at High Beech held on 9 April 1928. I don't think Droyslden, Camberley or the first High Beech meeting had any of that.

So 1928 it is then!  :D  :P

For what reason do you also rule out the Audenshaw meeting held on 3rd March, 1928, which was advertised as "Dirt Track Race Meeting", as pukka Speedway ? :blink:

So 1928 it is then!  :D  :P

Looking at the footage from the first High Beech meeting it didn't seem to have much in the way of speed either!

For what reason do you also rule out the Audenshaw meeting held on 3rd March, 1928, which was advertised as "Dirt Track Race Meeting", as pukka Speedway ?  :blink:

According to a contemporary report (The Motor Cycle), the first Audenshaw meeting had "thrills, but no broadsiding". It says that "the surface is the typical comparatively hard cinder track, similar to that used for pedal cycle racing." Neither of the Australians, Keith MacKay or Billy Galloway, were able to demonstrate broadsiding because of the surface.

In other words, it was not a "loose" surface, which I always think is one of the essential elements in defining speedway (dirt-track) racing. By that definition, of course, High Beech 19 Feb 28 wasn't speedway either.

Just a personal opinion!

Camberly had a loose surface and it was not sand :o  One long skid from start to finish said the report  :blink: 

The report I have of Camberley starts "For the first time in history dirt-track racing has been held in England!"

:)

But the racing was clockwise

:(

The telegraph poles on the inside line were a novel touch

:blink:

The report I have of Camberley starts "For the first time in history dirt-track racing has been held in England!"

But the racing was clockwise

The telegraph poles on the inside line were a novel touch

clockwise racing .....just a small mistake on the part of the organiser...I mean some people cant tell left from right :rolleyes::lol:

No crash helmets and a movable safety fence were added novelties :blink::blink:

clockwise racing .....just a small mistake on the part of the organiser...I mean some people cant tell left from right :rolleyes:  :lol:

No crash helmets and a movable safety fence were added novelties :blink:  :blink:

It's all a long way from, say, the Cardiff GP, isn't it?

Although I bet the track was better at Camberley ...

:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...