British Speedway Forum

Stead Or Kennett For The Gb Wildcard?

Well here's a bt of a dilema for Middlo. Who to name as the GB wildcard for Cardiff. Does he give Simon Stead another chance or up and coming Eddie Kennett?

Being Biased I would like to see Kennett get the nod. He is on fire at the moment and deserves a chance to taste the world stage. Others will say Stead has a higher average and is carrying his team.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here's a bt of a dilema for Middlo. Who to name as the GB wildcard for Cardiff. Does he give Simon Stead another chance or up and coming Eddie Kennett?

Being Biased I would like to see Kennett get the nod. He is on fire at the moment and deserves a chance to taste the world stage. Others will say Stead has a higher average and is carrying his team.

What are your thoughts?

In all fairness steve the nominated slot this year was apparently a straight fight between harris and stead so logically and probably fairly it should be stead...eddies time WILL come as he has plenty of time on his side

Guess I would say Stead but with Eddie as reserve! but this is just because I think the powers that be will feel that Steady deserves it more! :unsure:

Personally I would prefer to see Eddie in it as I am sure he could master the small Cardiff track better than Simon!

Also, looking at the averages in this weeks Speedway Star:

15th Simon Stead 8.29

22nd Edward Kennett 7.53

So not much in it and taking into account that Ed has just moved up to EL fulltime he has proved to many that he is the one to beat now!

Those at Poole on Wednesday will know what I mean, in a race with Jason Crump when Ed missed the gate, Jase looked for him, slowed the race up to enable Ed to get round the Wolves pair, then Jase just watched as Ed flew past him and was gone!

The lad is showing true potential at the moment and as such I feel he deserves to be rewarded for that. Stead has had a GP Wildcard (I am pretty sure he did anyway) and by rights should be challenging for a GP place now, so on that basis I say give it to and up and coming youngster to give it a try!

OK, I have lost the plot now - I am saying Simon or Ed? :blink:

Personally having wathed both riders for the last three years, Kennett is the better rider of the two. Or should I say "potential".

The way Kennett is coming on this season, i feel that within a couple of months he will be in front of Stead in the averages anyway. The lad is showing real improvement on a bike and in any many other teams would probably be riding at 1 or 5.

He can gate and he can pass. Like Stead he has ridden in the British GP before, a couple of seasons ago, but he is a whole straight better than he was back then and will bring something extra to the gP compared to Stead, who has yet to really step up to the mark.

A tough call for Middlo, but to be honest, even if Kennett was not riding for Poole, if he went for the youngster it would not be a wrong call at all.