British Speedway Forum

3rd Time Lucky Canterbury Crusaders!

shazzybird

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharon,

Just checked out the Canterbury site and it's brilliant. All those old pics of past Crusaders simply ooze nostalgia, although the pics of the overgrown old track will bring tears to a glass eye.

I particularly enjoyed the 'where are they now?' section. Great stuff. We could do with a few more sites like yours.

Congratulations to all involved in the construction of the site.

My memories of Kingsmead, apart from Barney Kennett storming across the football pitch on the first bend, include announcer Malcolm Mitchell struggling to remember to say the winning race times! Anyone else remember him for that, or did I just catch him on a bad night? Great, jolly character, though.

Regards to Uncle Ted, who I knew from his successful days at Rye House.

I must sort out all my photos and send them to the Canterbury Crusaders website,as reading this forum and looking at pictures bring all the memories flooding back of the great days and other people deserve the same oppertunity.

Now I could be really naughty here and take full credit for the Canterbury website but........... unfortunately it had nothing to do with me, all credit to Steve (Sidecar121) and his friends that have contributed facts, figures and pictures for us all to enjoy. (except of course the one of me on my bike :rolleyes: I sent that cos I love it!!)

I must sort out all my photos and send them to the Canterbury Crusaders website,as reading this forum and looking at pictures bring all the memories flooding back of the great days and other people deserve the same oppertunity.

do it....

What started as a chat with Terry Dawtry (over a bag of old photos), has grown and grown into what we have now.

If you want anything put on the Crusaders web site, just contact me via e-mail and I'll get back to you ASAP. I can accept stuff by e-mail (I'm on BB, so size don't matter ;) ) or normal post. I will return all items to the sender. All contributors are acknowledged on the website.

As I mention on the site, I have no stuff of my own, it's all been sent or donated by fellow Crusaders followers.

Any help in any way with write ups and memories etc would also be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

how great it is to see former crusaders contacting the website as at is good to know how they are doing.Hopefuly some of them could also get involved here and keep the memories fresh.

I must sort out all my photos and send them to the Canterbury Crusaders website,as reading this forum and looking at pictures bring all the memories flooding back of the great days and other people deserve the same opportunity.

The CD arrived today, thanks M B :P . I've had a quick shufty and the memories came flooding back to me as well :lol: I will do my best to get it on the web site as soon as I can.

I've got to fit a new back door at home, so this is going to have to take priority. Janet has put up with the old door falling apart every time she opens it. But is has now got beyond a joke. She is now threatening me with "nastys" :shock: if I dont get things moving. Leave it with me and I'll do what I can ASAP.

Edited by sidecar121

Oh dear...the door is out of stock at the moment :shock: .

Action pictures up on the site :P

Team pictures from 1969 - 1988, now added as well. :P

Crusaders website

I must do something useful now or Janet is gonna kick my a$$!

Edited by sidecar121

Oh Gibbo there's always you who can keep us going with a few tales from the Crusader camp :approve::wink::P that'll teach you to post wont it! :approve::lol:

Welllll there was the very nice blond lady that visited us in the bath one time, :) and then there`s the various `tales from the dope shed` ;) but perhaps we should`nt go there. Get me tippsy at the VSRA dinner and perhaps I`ll tell you more :D

I`m sure you know most of the stories anyway Shaz!

Welllll there was the very nice blond lady that visited us in the bath one time, :)

but Shazzy is not a natural blonde....

I`m sure you know most of the stories anyway Shaz!

know them!!!! she stars in them :lol:

Edited by stevehone

I know this is a real saddos question (nothing new for me) but what was it that killed off Canterbury?

It was explained on this forum once that the promoter at the time wasn't an astute businessman, although he loved his speedway. It was alleged that he never applied to extend the planning permission beyond the 1987 season and once it had lapsed, Canterbury Council declined to renew it.

Guest Rod King
I know this is a real saddos question (nothing new for me) but what was it that killed off Canterbury?

It was explained on this forum once that the promoter at the time wasn't an astute businessman, although he loved his speedway. It was alleged that he never applied to extend the planning permission beyond the 1987 season and once it had lapsed, Canterbury Council declined to renew it.

And is the site now too near a built up area to be revitalised? it looks as if the layout is still intact but it's difficult to see what there is around it.