British Speedway Forum

Crystal Palace

Guest Donsking

Wasn't sure where to put this, but as a number of people mentioned the road circuit, this may bring back some happy memories, particularly those who miss the dulcet tones of M Walker.

*WARNING, THESE CLIPS HAVE NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH SPEEDWAY*  :D

Great stuff. I actually covered the last ever car race meeting when I worked as a freelance photographer. Got loads of negs - but lost the list of names, although I have (I think) the programme so can probably match them up.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Donsking
Ah,but this one is far better.In colour and has the classic 60s music and commentary that is so typicallly British :D

Seen that one in a few different places, how inappropriate is that music over the practice session?!

More to the point, how lucky is the guy in the Mini; no cage, no harness and standard seats, then takes a high speed header into a bank of railway sleepers!!!

You wouldn't have got me round there in anything smaller than a Galaxie in those days.

Hi all

I've been asked by my local historical society to find out what I can about Crystal Palace Glaziers, so my first stop is the collective brain cell of the BSF!

So, can anyone fill in any details about the team, like what periods they raced in, were they any good etc.?

Any info gratefully received

Cheers

Any update on where and when this will appear please?

A matter of interest. I read in today's 'Croydon Advertiser' that Crystal Palace FC are considering the National Sports Centre as an alternative home to Selhurst Park.

Could this not be the time for somebody to also sound out both these parties about staging speedway at this ancestral home?

It would suit me as a 417 bus goes all the way from Streatham to Crystal Palace Parade...

A chace for former parties at Wimbledon Speedway perhaps to resurface. The NSC was originally suggested by some supporters almost as soon as the GRA turfed out speedway in 2005.

A new speedway plus the long promised Donsking article on the venue is something to look forward to.

• 1 month later...

The 2nd public workshop on the future of Crystal Palace Park is on Saturday March 17 10am-3pm (lunch provided!) at Sydenham High School, 19 Westwood Hill, Sydenham SE26 2BL.

Could be the last ever chance to plead the cause for a speedway return there!

Howzabout it Donsking? And when is the article on the speedway due out?

Edited by speedyguy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Donsking

The latest is, I wasn't happy with the original, started a re-write and other stuff has got in the way.

Added to this, there have been problems with the website I was uploading to, and some difficulty with the format that I was proposing.

All of this means the whole thing is now on hold; you wouldn't think it was so hard to post a few words and pictures, would you?!

The latest is, I wasn't happy with the original, started a re-write and other stuff has got in the way.

Added to this, there have been problems with the website I was uploading to, and some difficulty with the format that I was proposing.

All of this means the whole thing is now on hold; you wouldn't think it was so hard to post a few words and pictures, would you?!

Well, Crystal Palace has been closed since 1939...I guess we can wait a little longer :unsure:

Guest Donsking

What I can now tell you is, if my article ever sees the light of day, I won't be placing a link to it on this forum.

If you haven't already, read Norman's excellent book on the history of London's speedway tracks.

Guest Donsking
Thanks Donsking!

You might like to know that the book I am currently working on is a history of Crystal Palace/New Cross. Perhaps we should get together some time....sadly not in the Eggheads studio though!

Yeah, what happened there Norm, was the collective braincell too dim to even get an audition?

As for meeting up, would love to, although I'm not sure I can contribute much other than to take you on a guided tour of the area and maybe put you in touch with the people who likely have an archive on the subject.

With shades of the 'oldest living rider' thread, a good person to talk to about the Rangers would've been my Dad, who was a regular at the 'frying pan' immediately after the war, but I fear his memory is a little too far gone now and I'm not sure Mum was really paying attention!

Significantly, he does remember talking to his Sister about New Cross as, being 20 years his senior, she was a regular pretty much from the time the track opened; I think most of it is long gone now, but he has vague memories of her talking about the Milne's etc.

Yeah, what happened there Norm, was the collective braincell too dim to even get an audition?

I'm afraid so. :sad:

As for meeting up, would love to, although I'm not sure I can contribute much other than to take you on a guided tour of the area and maybe put you in touch with the people who likely have an archive on the subject.

Yes, that would be good. Perhaps we can arrange something some time. :approve:

Guest Donsking
Yes, that would be good. Perhaps we can arrange something some time.  :approve:

Any time.

Incidentaly, I was talking to Mum about New Cross and as I said, she doesn't really remember many details other than the atmosphere and the smell (how often do we hear that!), but her older sister was an avid fan, to the extent that Mum used to babysit for her so she could go to speedway.

She will be seeing her this week and has said she will talk to her about it; it also seems likely that she would've been a collector of programmes and badges etc., so hopefully there might be a little hidden treasure trove there.

• 2 weeks later...
Any time.

Incidentaly, I was talking to Mum about New Cross and as I said, she doesn't really remember many details other than the atmosphere and the smell (how often do we hear that!), but her older sister was an avid fan, to the extent that Mum used to babysit for her so she could go to speedway.

She will be seeing her this week and has said she will talk to her about it; it also seems likely that she would've been a collector of programmes and badges etc., so hopefully there might be a little hidden treasure trove there.

the old new cross track is now just a field between housing estates,all that i can find of the old stadium is a couple of grassed over wooden steps,although there is a stone memorial on the ground.

i am currently researching for a book on ron johnson,and would welcome the opportunity to meet with anyone and share information