British Speedway Forum

Simon Stead

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing wrong in this thread in my opinion, and these were my thoughts yesterday as I read the SS interview in the SS. He was well beaten by Harris in the meeting that actually really counted (racing wise) and that was the Grand Final in Vetlanda. Harris beat him by six points and also in their heat which Harris won and Stead was third behind Laukkanen.

So stop whining Simon!

Edited by f-s-p

Form is temporary and class is permanent. In the greater scheme of things, Stead is at least as good a prospect as Harris, possibly better. Harris is currently riding better, but it won't necessarily stay that way.

Totally irrelevant who we have in the GPs as for one reason or another we cant gate to save ourselves and until we catch up with the likes of the Scandinavians our on track performances are not worth comparing until we grtasp the "drop the clutch and go" theory!

Edited by shady

Sensible post, Superguest. :approve: Sad fact is that we're struggling to find any British riders who are consistently GP standard. We should be well up there in the top half dozen every year. :unsure:

There's nothing wrong in this thread in my opinion, and these were my thoughts yesterday as I read the SS interview in the SS. He was well beaten by Harris in the meeting that actually really counted (racing wise) and that was the Grand Final in Vetlanda. Harris beat him by six points and also in their heat which Harris won and Stead was third behind Laukkanen.

So stop whining Simon!

It only mattered if you finished in the top 3. Neither did. This meeting is as relevant/irrelevant as any other for these two non qualifiers.

Form is temporary and class is permanent.  In the greater scheme of things, Stead is at least as good a prospect as Harris, possibly better.  Harris is currently riding better, but it won't necessarily stay that way.

I struggle to conjure with a sensible person posting "form is temporary and class is permanent" regarding Simon Stead. Come on, let's all try a little realism. Stead is closer to being a Premier League standard rider than a GP standard rider. He lingered far too long in that league and squandered his opportunities.

With all due respect , quite a few riders in the Grand Prix are not " GP Standard ", riders like Subedis beloved Poles of Pepe,Top Cat and Ulamek have not exactlay covered them self in glory, i am not against giving a rider like Stead or Bomber ( either of whom would deserve it ) a chance to proove there worth in the Grand Prix , there is only about 12 riders who are GP Standard the rest are just there to make up the numbers, so why not give the chance to young up and coming riders who might just do a Zager and swim or a 27 year old Pole and sink with out a trace.

No doubt the why not PK argument will come up , but he had his chance many moons ago , and as good as he is he just could not crack it at that level , do we not all remember the first Cardiff GP ? why go back to they days, you have to give the chance to younger riders as a decent band once sayed " I believe that children are the future ", PK would float around maybe 8th to 10th threaten to qualify then wouldnt , i would rather see Harris or Stead be 10th to 14th first year , then second year use that experince to progress as they have done there whole career.

Edited by wjm

No doubt the why not PK argument will come up , but he had his chance many moons ago , and as good as he is he just could not crack it at that level , do we not all remember the first Cardiff GP ? why go back to they days, you have to give the chance to younger riders.

While we're remembering the first Cardiff GP, should we not also remember the last one, where Stead scored, if memory serves, a meagre 3 points.

And I agree, let's give youngsters a go. But why should Stead have a go instead of, for example, Janusz Kolodziej, a former Polish champion and infinitely superior to either Stead or Harris. And while we're giving youngsters a go, how about getting rid of a serial failure like Nicholls to make way?

Harris and Nicholls are in the GPs solely because of their nationality and if Stead ever makes the GPs, my guess is he'll be there because of his nationality. It's shameful.

While we're remembering the first Cardiff GP, should we not also remember the last one, where Stead scored, if memory serves, a meagre 3 points.

And I agree, let's give youngsters a go. But why should Stead have a go instead of, for example, Janusz Kolodziej, a former Polish champion and infinitely superior to either Stead or Harris. And while we're giving youngsters a go, how about getting rid of a serial failure like Nicholls to make way?

Harris and Nicholls are in the GPs solely because of their nationality and if Stead ever makes the GPs, my guess is he'll be there because of his nationality. It's shameful.

If you are giving it to a youngster Lindgren gets in it long before Kolodziej, hell lets get all former national champions back in it then i here Andy Smith wants in the GP come on down Andy, Makovsky won his national title why not get him in there ?, Stead and Harris posted higher averages in the EL than Janusz who had the benefit of being a reserve ( i dont know about Poland and Sweeden i imagine Kolodjiez is higher ) both finished higher then him in the Grand Prix qulification.

You keep bringing this why is Nicholls in the GP argument up , he is in it this year as he has as you rightly say been given the benefit of the doubt, had he not been injured there is no doubt he would have qullified andy way.

And the they are in it by nationality argument ? yes they are but why would Kolodjiez be in it ? because he is Polish , why was Pepe in it because he is Polish.

Sub on the subject of Kolodziej. I forsee a situation where regardless of Kolodziej's attempt at qualification, he will replace Gollob, simply because he's Polish. It will probably re-enforce your point that BSI are giving placing for nationality. If the BSI was speedway streetwise, they will also start giving places for the up-coming Germans and Russians plus Pavlic. Because of their nationality plus they are markets they want to crack.

If you are giving it to a youngster Lindgren gets in it long before Kolodziej, hell lets get all former national champions back in it then i here Andy Smith wants in the GP come on down Andy, Makovsky won his national title why not get him in there ?, Stead and Harris posted higher averages in the EL than Janusz who had the benefit of being a reserve ( i dont know about Poland and Sweeden i imagine Kolodjiez is higher ) both finished higher then him in the Grand Prix qulification.

You keep bringing this why is Nicholls in the GP argument up , he is in it this year as he has as you rightly say been given the benefit of the doubt, had he not been injured there is no doubt he would have qullified andy way.

And the they are in it by nationality argument ? yes they are but why would Kolodjiez be in it ? because he is Polish , why was Pepe in it because he is Polish.

I'd have preferred a reply in English, but there you go.

Janusz Kolodziej missed the GP qualification final, as far as I recall, through injury. Now, turning our attention to other Poles. How many Poles have qualified for 2007? I make it at least 3 and 4 if Holta finally makes his mind up what nationality he is. How many British riders qualified? I make it a big fat zero, for the second successive, possibly third successive season. When he was in the GPs, although he did nothing much, Chrzanowski at least had the satisfaction of being there on merit and not the charity of others.

Perhaps Nicholls would've "qullified" (whatever that is) had he not been injured, but there's huge doubts as to whether he'd have qualified. You can't just take Nicholls in isolation, the whole field around him would've changed had he not missed Prague. Perhaps riders like Gollob and Hampel would've raised their games and still beaten him to qualification. There's just no way of knowing.

And many would say that Protasiewicz was in the GPs in 2006 because Pental coughed up the readies.

Sub on the subject of Kolodziej. I forsee a situation where regardless of Kolodziej's attempt at qualification, he will replace Gollob, simply because he's Polish. It will probably re-enforce your point that BSI are giving placing for nationality. If the BSI was speedway streetwise, they will also start giving places for the up-coming Germans and Russians plus Pavlic. Because of their nationality plus they are markets they want to crack.

It seems that this will be the great man's final season in the GPs (but let us hope he sees out the full series and doesn't bow out after Bydgoszcz) and certainly Kolodziej, probably not least because he's a BSI asset at Reading will take a place in the GPs. But there's other Poles coming up fast.

Certainly the Russians, Germans and Croatia's Pavlic will soon be knocking on the door, but that shouldn't worry a nation with riders who constantly qualify for the GPs, should it? And, like it or not, the Poles, Danes, Swedes and Australians all seem capable of providing qualifiers. Where does that leave a second rate speedway nation with second rate riders like Nicholls and Stead?

I'd have preferred a reply in English, but there you go.

Janusz Kolodziej missed the GP qualification final, as far as I recall, through injury. Now, turning our attention to other Poles. How many Poles have qualified for 2007? I make it at least 3 and 4 if Holta finally makes his mind up what nationality he is. How many British riders qualified? I make it a big fat zero, for the second successive, possibly third successive season. When he was in the GPs, although he did nothing much, Chrzanowski at least had the satisfaction of being there on merit and not the charity of others.

Perhaps Nicholls would've "qullified" (whatever that is) had he not been injured, but there's huge doubts as to whether he'd have qualified. You can't just take Nicholls in isolation, the whole field around him would've changed had he not missed Prague. Perhaps riders like Gollob and Hampel would've raised their games and still beaten him to qualification. There's just no way of knowing.

And many would say that Protasiewicz was in the GPs in 2006 because Pental coughed up the readies.

Ok if Holta is a Pole then at this moment the best rider in the world is Brittish , you talk about the Brits needing a donation then call Holta a Pole ?, give me strength.

Riders like Chraznowski quallify through merit then what did he do with it ? wasted his time and everbody elses by running in last most weeks, Nicholls has been handed a spot no one argues that but at least he does not discrace him self , like lets be truthfull here most of the Poles do other than Hampel and Gollob.

I mean this is a pointless argument Scotty is there he got Perry up the duff he messed it up again and he will still be in there Woo Hoo and when Koldziej is getting token reserve spots in Wroclaw , Bomber will be out there in the GP on merit, and then we get to Cardiff for the show piece the jewell in the crown and Steady is the wild card, has every one else got there GB Hats and Flags ready ?

:D:D:D

Edited by wjm

It seems that this will be the great man's final season in the GPs (but let us hope he sees out the full series and doesn't bow out after Bydgoszcz) and certainly Kolodziej, probably not least because he's a BSI asset at Reading will take a place in the GPs. But there's other Poles coming up fast.

Certainly the Russians, Germans and Croatia's Pavlic will soon be knocking on the door, but that shouldn't worry a nation with riders who constantly qualify for the GPs, should it? And, like it or not, the Poles, Danes, Swedes and Australians all seem capable of providing qualifiers. Where does that leave a second rate speedway nation with second rate riders like Nicholls and Stead?

It leaves them above Poland in the world cup.