British Speedway Forum

Brighton Bonanza 2006

This might be the meeting I have recorded from 1983(?). It was ridden on concrete. It featured a few big names having a laugh. Even Kenny Carter joked :o about only being able to lead Jan Andersson for half a lap of the 120 yard(?) track. A very young Kelvin Tatum rode for as well. Erik and Hans rode for the World Select against England.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might be the meeting I have recorded from 1983(?).  It was ridden on concrete.  It featured a few big names having a laugh.  Even Kenny Carter joked  :o  about only being able to lead Jan Andersson for half a lap of the 120 yard(?) track.  A very young Kelvin Tatum rode for as well.  Erik and Hans rode for the World Select against England.

That was at Wembley. I have the video too ;)

During an interview in one of the evening many breaks Jon cook was being asked about other posible venues for indoor speedway.

How About this......

It was Martin Dugard that was interviewed, he said the track would be twice the size of Brighton, about the same size track as Arena Essex. Only place I can think of is NEC that could fit something that large in it.

It was Martin Dugard that was interviewed, he said the track would be twice the size of Brighton, about the same size track as Arena Essex. Only place I can think of is NEC that could fit something that large in it.

What about the Excel in London's Docklands..??

Only about half a mile from the site of the old Custom House Stadium too..!!!

What about the Excel in London's Docklands..??

Only about half a mile from the site of the old Custom House Stadium too..!!!

I think the whole point is that the Midlands is far easier to get to for the vast majority of people to get to.

Any luck yet Leigh working out if those things sticking out the wall were supports? :unsure:  Im still not sure whether to believe him or not
Sorry Sandie :( I googled it with "what are the supports for on the wall in Brighton's Pizza Hut"...Google's useless...it came up with nothing! I might ask Jeeves next! :D

I wasn't sure whether to believe him or not either...but at least I kept that quiet until you'd admitted it! :P

I hope that straw has pride of place on your mantelpiece! Next time I go anywhere and they give me a straw with my diet coke, I'm going to tell them that they're wrong...but if it makes me special I might just make an exception and let them off!!! :D

Indoor event was held at NEC in about 79/80 Mike Lee crashed and crushed vertebrae in race against (i think) Stevie 'B'. Jan Andersson cleaned up i think and track was bigger than usual indoor tracks and rubber.

Martin Dugard and John Cook were recently spotted in Broad Street Birmingham (early november) supposedly they were investigating the prospect of staging a meeting at the NIA.

What with all this disscussion about various venues for possible indoor speedway, there are quite a few venues dotted around the country that could house a larger track.

For instance:-

Hallam Arena (sheffield)

M.E.N Arena (Manchester)

SECC (glasgow)

NEC (Birmingham)

Errr... (The one in Newcastle)

London Arena/Excel Centre/Alexanrda Palace (London)

Not forgetting the Current indoor Venues of Brighton and Telford.

Maybe Some sort of Indoor Winter Series could take place. It would give fans from all around the country to see some "out of season" speedway. The above venues also benefit from already being in cities with speedway tracks in them already.

Edited by darth raider

Guest Jim Blanchard
What with all this disscussion about various venues for possible indoor speedway, there are quite a few venues dotted around the country that could house a larger track.

Hallam Arena (sheffield)

M.E.N Arena (Manchester)

SECC (glasgow)

NEC (Birmingham)

Maybe Some sort of Indoor Winter Series could take place. It would give fans from all around the country to see some "out of season" speedway. The above venues also benefit from already being in cities with speedway tracks in them already.

Again, I might have this wrong too but have they not had one at the GMex centre at Manchester?

Hallam Arena (sheffield)

M.E.N Arena (Manchester)

SECC (glasgow)

NEC (Birmingham)

The Metro Radio Newcastle Arena would not be big enough, as its only the size of say Telford for Ice Racing. :)

:blink::blink:

The Metro Radio Newcastle Arena would not be big enough, as its only the size of say Telford for Ice Racing. :)
Bigger than Brighton then. Birghton is Telford on shale without the straights!

The CIA in Cardiff would be more than big enough too, not sure how viable it is though regards seating etc.

How about something at Stoneleigh too?