British Speedway Forum

He was a tough un

BrizHeathen

Probably the wildest of all the many East European hardmen was Czech Zdenek Kudrna.

He made Charles Bronson look angelic and as well as riding ruthlessly on speedway tracks, he was lethal on the ice, too.

He did plenty of damage before paying the ultimate price himself when he died in a track smash.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and from what i hear, Demon, as was his nickname, was an extremely pleasant fellow in real life....

no,.. it was Demon.. :neutral:

From what i've read, Jack Unstead was a bit chewy!

Rode with a plaster cast on one leg for best part of a 1/4 of a season

sigh.. i give up..one last time..... Demon... :neutral:

and while we are at it,.. tough one? Forget the rest, Chris Pusey was the toughest! He would eat and spit out most mentioned here... ;) for breakfast...

Sandman.

Agree that Chris Pusey was a rough, tough little character, but he certainly wouldn't have spat out, as you put it, old timers such as 'Gentleman' Aub Lawson,

Olle Nygren, Dent Oliver, Belle Vue skipper, Ron Johnstone, a no nonsense Kiwi, or veteran Halifax captain, Eric Boothroyd. They also, ALL reached at least one world final, something Chris Pusey never achieved.

kimhomestead

Sandman.

Agree that Chris Pusey was a rough, tough little character, but he certainly wouldn't have spat out, as you put it, old timers such as 'Gentleman' Aub Lawson,

Olle Nygren, Dent Oliver, Belle Vue skipper, Ron Johnstone, a no nonsense Kiwi, or veteran Halifax captain, Eric Boothroyd. They also, ALL reached at least one world final, something Chris Pusey never achieved.

kimhomestead

I actually met Olle Nygren recently, still a nuggety yet fit looking type of bloke even at 70..ish.

Jack Unstead would go thro gaps that were not there, regardless. Unfortunately I was at Foxhall the night he got killed.

Tony Childs was "warned off" after he "speared" a couple of juniors in after meeting races at Ipswich in the 90s.

Tomaz Gollob in his heydays at Ipswich would not give an inch to anyone.I saw him and Chris Louis ,I think,get a 5-1 to win the meeting at Arlington, dispite the fact the Eastbourn starter kicked the support pole (no pun intended) from the tapes infront of him so he had to ride over that. He still came back to get the 5-1. B)

• 2 weeks later...

He might not be hard off track but on track Kevin Doolan has gotta rank as one of the toughest speedway riders around. He's like rubber... the amount of times i have seen him crash this season and get back up is amazing...

special awards must go to his crashes at Glasgow and at Hull,

Glasgow Vs. Edinburgh:

Kevin went smashing through the 4th bend fence wrecking his bike and tangling himself in the fence...

as the paramedics went to go over to him to check how he was he got out of the fence... picked up his bike and pushed it over the start finish line...!!!

Hull (Individual)

Doolan snapped the fence boards in half with his bike and he was thrown over the fence its self and landed on the concrete steps of one of the stands. Yet again he got straight back up volted back over the fence and walked back into the pits unaided!

(plus riding most of the season for us (Glasgow) with an injured ankle.)

Sparky ;)

Sandman.

kimhomestead

oh i guess i left out the most important word... include.. "Grasstrack.".. ahemm. ;)

• 7 months later...

graham stapleton n.z....remember 1 night when andy graham tried to move him over coming out of the 2nd. bend at brough park...he bounced off graham and injured his shoulder.....graham just carried on with the race....never even looked around.....he was very cool under pressure...lost count the number of 5/1s he and tom owen scored... :wink:

Nigel Boocock and Barry Briggs....As told to me my Nigel.

They were both at a World Championship qualifier at Wolverhampton. Briggo had met up with Booey at his home in Rugby and they drove up to the meeting together, leaving Cynthia and June together back home.

In the meeting they were both doing well.

Then Booey took a spill and was taken to hospital.

At the hospital Booey phoned Cynthia and told her they'd be late getting home, as he had dislocated his shoulder.

As he was on the phone, Briggo was strechered into the hospital with a hand injury. Broken thumb.

Booey tells Cynthis we'll be later still now, tell June Briggo has just joined me in the Accident department.

Now tough!

A couple of days later they were both at Sheffield in another qualifier.

Booey rode with a horse collar around his shoulder. Briggo cut a piece of tyre to fit into the gap between his thumb and first finger then strapped up his hand.

The meeting result?

Briggo won and Booey was second.

Now that is how Speedway was :)

I can remember when Cradley were having a bit of an injury crisis Scott Smith rode with a broken collar bone.

Scud rode with a broken jaw too!!

Simon 'Psycho' Cross,Big Al (Alan Grahame),Chris Julian,Vaclav Verner(broke his hand in His first ride at The Wood one night got up said over the mike "Jan okay,i ride!" and scored double figures before He went to hospital.)!! :blink: and My all time fave Ivor Brown(how old am I!!??)could nearly get a Cradley team of hard men. :o:lol: