British Speedway Forum

Bydgoszcz Gp Chat Thread

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

without a qualifying sysem you get the same riders every year - which dilutes the product = complacency = mediocrity

You need fresh blood - riders who have developed their craft in an on going manner in competitive league racing = honed skills = ready to qualify to race in GP's on merit = keep the old order on their toes and their eventual natural successors

i would prefer to see riders included on the basis of their league averages,from the three major leagues than a qualifying system. and can you honestly say the "fresh blood" of iversen this year was preferable to andersen or karlsson say?

Ah yes, the old chestnut of Nicholls being a "racer". But Bydgoszcz is a "racer's track" and Nicholls still did nothing. Jagus will be there next season on merit. He qualified. Nicholls will be hanging around BSI with his begging bowl, even though he's already said that if he couldn't qualify he didn't deserve to be there.

So as Nicholls, Pedersen and Lindback have all not qualified, which 4 riders would you pick to provide as much entertainment as they serve up.

People post about Nicholls not making the cut again, but he only jusat missed out and missed a round, so he is justified in getting a nomination for next year.

Plus, if Nicholls, Bjarne and Lindback dont take three of the four nominations . .. who else is there any better ?

PK - Brilliant in the leagues, but has always failed in GP's and in his late 30's

Simon Stead - may get the other nomination, but not better than Scott

Chris Harris - see above

Karol Zabik - see above

Personally,i feel that riders outside the top 8,should meet with qualifiers to decide the final 16 for the following year-the meeting would have all the tension of an old style world final,and looking at positions 9 10 & 11this year they might as well have stated a top 11 place was enough,as scotty blarne and antonio are all certainties in my book,perhaps BSI would keep a place or two for circumstances such as last year(hampel) and in 98?(hamill) who only missed out thru injury etc--very good GP tonight,crap commentary-tho i did win the "millard bingo" compettition!!-as posted earlier it seems there is 1 place up for grabs-my vote goes to bomber,though a few would doubtlessly disagree

Was I the only one that shuddered when the studio team started talking about double points being awarded in the superbike comp and that it would have meant Crump having to perform in the final 2 GPs?

I can picture it now. Posseltwit says to Olsen, "Crump has it too easy, let's introduce dingly dangly do dah whatsits in the final round. That should keep the viewing figures up so I can extract more dosh from sponsors and fans"

Do you honestly think Nicholls would say no to a wild card?

He would probably lose a fair few of his major sponsors if

he wasnt in the GP series

Then I won't need to retract, will I?

I have no doubt that the Nicholls begging bowl will be out. And I've equally no doubt that John Postlethwaite will take pity on the pauper prince.

Edited by Subedei

i would prefer to see riders included on the basis of their league averages,from the three major leagues than a qualifying system.  and can you honestly say the "fresh blood" of iversen this year was preferable to andersen or karlsson say?

Totally agree with you on the league averages bit which complies with what I said about competitive league racing

As for Iversen he was chosen didn't qualify - I didn't expect him to pull any trees up and he hasn't done = not GP standard

Andersen wasn't doing anything either till he was no longer a chosen one = galvanised him (we all presume) to perform as he has done in the GP's he's rode in

But let's look at him again at the end of season 2007 and see where he is then

And yes I would have PK in and Rune Holta

If there was a more equitable system (32 riders) then all these guys would be in

Young and Old

I do know I waste my time saying anything on this forum but if you look at these things it all of it is really common sense

Then I won't need to retract, will I?

I have no doubt that the Nicholls begging bowl will be out. And I've equally no doubt that John Postlethwaite will take pity on pauper prince.

My goodness you seem to have as big a dislike of Scott as TNT does of Nicki! :blink:

If I was given these choices:

Scott Nicholls or Lee Richardson

Scott Nicholls or Chris Harris

Scott Nicholls or Simon Stead

I would choose Scott every time!

However, if they were stupid enough to ask:

Scott Nicholls or Mark Loram

it would be "sorry Scott!, Mark it is"

However, we all have different views on whom we want in the GP's and our varying reasons for this! Then again we don't get to make the choice do we?

So as Nicholls, Pedersen and Lindback have all not qualified, which 4 riders would you pick to provide as much entertainment as they serve up.

Don't remember advocating kicking BP or Lindback out of the GPs. BP qualified last season (unlike Nicholls) and deserves another go. As for Lindback, I actually feel a season out of the GPs would help him along and Lindgren looks an obvious replacement. And then there's PK. He might not ever have achieved much in the GPs, but at least he doesn't regard qualifying as beneath him. I'd have PK back in.

Totally agree with you on the league averages bit which complies with what I said about competitive league racing

As for Iversen he was chosen didn't qualify - I didn't expect him to pull any trees up and he hasn't done = not GP standard

Andersen wasn't doing anything either till he was no longer a chosen one = galvanised him (we all presume) to perform as he has done in the GP's he's rode in

But let's look at him again at the end of season 2007 and see where he is then

And yes I would have PK in and Rune Holta

If there was a more equitable system (32 riders) then all these guys would be in

Young and Old

I do know I waste my time saying anything on this forum but if you look at these things it all of it is really common sense

i dont see how 32 riders could be afforded?

Don't remember advocating kicking BP or Lindback out of the GPs. BP qualified last season (unlike Nicholls) and deserves another go. As for Lindback, I actually feel a season out of the GPs would help him along and Lindgren looks an obvious replacement. And then there's PK. He might not ever have achieved much in the GPs, but at least he doesn't regard qualifying as beneath him. I'd have PK back in.

so in other words,you advocate cherry picking the best riders,but just dont like nicholls?

No, I've advocated - since the 2005 when there were no qualifiers - having a system of two strikes and you're out. I've already said I think Lindback would benefit from a year out. BP qualified last season and should have another go. If he fails in 2007, then out with him as well. But Nicholls failed to qualify for 2005, failed to qualify for 2006 and has now failed to qualify for 2007. In a single, solitary GP performance, Wieslaw Jagus has reached as many finals as Nicholls has achieved in THREE seasons. There is no justifiable reason for Nicholls to be included in 2007. None.

No, I've advocated - since the 2005 when there were no qualifiers - having a system of two strikes and you're out. I've already said I think Lindback would benefit from a year out. BP qualified last season and should have another go. If he fails in 2007, then out with him as well. But Nicholls failed to qualify for 2005, failed to qualify for 2006 and has now failed to qualify for 2007. In a single, solitary GP performance, Wieslaw Jagus has reached as many finals as Nicholls has achieved in THREE seasons. There is no justifiable reason for Nicholls to be included in 2007. None.

But he is British Champion, he is the best rider we have (arguably) and BSI wont run a GP series without at least one British rider.

You see what we're dealing with here is negativity

You go to a speedway meeting and you can taste it in the air

If you think positive then the atmosphere will change - riders will respond to that new atmosphere and perform accordingly

If you see what I mean - and if you don't - nivver mind eh!!!

Has British speedway ever sunk so low?

Are we talking 1912 here Sub ?