British Speedway Forum

Bydgoszcz Gp Chat Thread

I don't think for a moment that its a question of him not trying or being in a comfort zone. For me its a question of is he good enough?

I have to say he's simply outclassed by better riders at the moment. That's not to say he's not the best Brit, just isn't in the same league as Crump, Andersen and Pedersen, etc. Nothing at all to do with his personality, I just don't think he'll ever win a GP, although I'd love to be proved wrong. ;)

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicholls will be there next season, no doubt despite his constant mistakes and promises unfuilled. What was he doing in his 4th ride?

What a GP though! The track looked very slick but I feared the worse but the racing lines and incredible shape of Mecca Zuzel took over. Heat 7 was incredible, Jonsson 4th to 1st, Hampel 1st to 4th to 2nd. Gollob on the Semi-Final! Where was he going? He aimed for row 3 on the first turn, hit the boards. Heat 18 was also superb, Nicholls with his terrible machinery was made to look a fool by Jonsson and Gollob's barge forward.

Jagus was a relevation, hes far better than Chranowski, a superb little rider who I look forward to watching ride. Zagar impressed again, a first visit to Bydgoszcz can be daunting for a young lad. Pedersen untouchable. Gollob, retiring? No! No! No!, Please dont Tomasz, what a racer, what a rider, what a personality.

Jonsson messed up in the semi-final, I like his racing style and desire to win, he's superb, rode like a league meeting, my Uncle reckons he's just like Mike Lee. I am gobsmacked by a tour de force GP. It was like a Speedway orgasm. Made me want to get a train to P'boro ready for Monday's meeting.

Millard what a tool! Final, 'Here Comes Jagus, Jagus, Jagus!'. My reply was 'Hancocks wearing blue, Jagus is wearing red'. Next season's line-up will have some painful cuts, I feel poor Bjarne Pedersen will be the rider to be dropped.

'What A Meeting! What A Night!' as I ran home to my brother to say Millard's phrase from watching it round my Uncles. Sky's other mistake is Why dont be there live? The meeting comes across a whole lot more better when they are there. They are missing an opportunity with Bydgoszcz.

Well I'm pleased to say that the 3 I predicted to be on the podium all made the Final, albeit it in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. :D Well done Jagus, it will be interesting to see how he gets on next season because from what I've seen of averages and scores, he's been sensational in Sweden and Poland this year. I hope he can continue his form.

Of course well done to Nicki Pedersen, finishing the year how he started it with a GP win. If only the middle of the season hadn't been a bit of a damp squib. :wink:

I believe there will be two Brits seeded through to next years series and they will be Nicholls and Bomber  :rolleyes:

Loram too old, Richardson lost it, Stead not ready  :unsure:

Hmmmm! so I guess we had better kick Greg Hancock out too then!

:blink:

Greg born in June 1970

Mark born in January 1971

Oh and now checked further:

Leigh Adams born in 71, Tomasz Gollob born in 71, and Holta who is back next year was only two years later in 73

:P

Edited by Tabby3

Simon Stead described as "young" and "inexperienced"? I've heard everything now. Stead must be, what, 24-25? That doesn't strike me as being very young.

As far as international speedway is concerned he is inexperienced, and compared to some of the established GP riders he is still young. I just happen to think he needs to consistantly prove himself in the league before he steps up. Winning the British Championship, albeit on his own track, might be a start.

QUOTE(Bagpuss @ Sep 24 2006, 11:30 PM)

I believe there will be two Brits seeded through to next years series and they will be Nicholls and Bomber

Loram too old, Richardson lost it, Stead not ready

Agree with above, although I dont think that BSI would dare have two Bees representing GB much as though Bomber deserves it.

I think BSI would really like Loram back in the GPs, but only if he qualifies through the proper events . They seem to be targetting younger riders now so far as the wild cards go.

Bomber fits the BSI profile for a wild card. Young, up and coming and aggressive.

I dont think it matters who he rides for.

Hmmmm!  so I guess we had better kick Greg Hancock out too then!

:blink:

Greg born in June 1970

Mark born in January 1971

Oh and now checked further:

Leigh Adams born in 71, Tomasz Gollob born in 71, and Holta who is back next year was only two years later in 73

:P

Think you have that a bit mixed up.All the others are there by right.They have qualified.Mark hasn't :P It's not a case of kicking riders who have qualified out because of age.But there is a case for not giving someone a wild card because of age.

My friend & his Polish partner went on a 5 day trip to Bydgoszcz for the first time, having previously gone to Cardiff in 2005 & 6, also Wroclaw this year, although he is not a speedway fan generally.

Well, I did warn him beforehand to watch where he stood at Bydgoszcz! :D Apparently, however, there was a bit of a problem with his tickets booked through the travel agent and he ended up not having any. He decided to take a chance and buy them when he got there so he ended up in what he said was the "Bear Pit." :o

Quite an eye opener it seems as there were a lot of riot police around in full gear. Seems they were needed too because there were several fights. He said the fans are "different" over there. In England there would probably be a lot of posturing and "handbags at dawn" but there they got stuck in straightaway - no messing. :P

Anyway, he still enjoyed it and plans to go back again next year, plus adding Sweden to the itinerary as well.

He even got to chat with Neil Middleditch at the hotel, although he didn't know at the time who he was.

My friend & his Polish partner went on a 5 day trip to Bydgoszcz for the first time, having previously gone to Cardiff in 2005 & 6, also Wroclaw this year, although he is not a speedway fan generally.

Well, I did warn him beforehand to watch where he stood at Bydgoszcz!  :D  Apparently, however, there was a bit of a problem with his tickets booked through the travel agent and he ended up not having any.  He decided to take a chance and buy them when he got there so he ended up in what he said was the "Bear Pit."  :o

Quite an eye opener it seems as there were a lot of riot police around in full gear.  Seems they were needed too because there were several fights.  He said the fans are "different" over there.  In England there would probably be a lot of posturing and "handbags at dawn" but there they got stuck in straightaway - no messing.  :P

Anyway, he still enjoyed it and plans to go back again next year, plus adding Sweden to the itinerary as well.

He even got to chat with Neil Middleditch at the hotel, although he didn't know at the time who he was.

We have plenty of photo's of those riot police Gem as they were stood right in front of us. They are quite intimidating. The are dressed in black and have balaclava's covering their faces.

I still say they stood there to protect my Union Jack flag and for no other reason.

It was an amazing stadium and an amazing trip. We had to be in our seats at 3pm for a 7.30pm meeting to get a good view.

The trip was the best I have been on and that was due to the superb company and brilliant weather. As well as two great days of speedway.

Personally I will be left with lots of different memories -

* Lee singing Hotel Californika

* London Witch and I enjoying a special cup of coffee

* Chivs not wanting gas but getting it.

* Lee and Dean defending my honour

* Pammie nearly chocking when we discussed herbs and spices!!

* Getting a special friend called Louise!!!!

and the list could go on and on...............

But thanks one and all - lets get booked for 2007 as soon as we can :D

Great photos Matt. I may ask for a copy of a couple of them if thats OK.

An amazing, awesome trip with so many special moments I couldn't begin to list them... But I'll add 2 to f4e's list...The church bells at 6.15am and the great view from the taxi rank at Bydgoszcz airport. :P

A huge thank you to Chivsy for making it all possible, to Rico for all his help and encouragement, to Addy for the lift to and from Stansted, to Hayley for some quality mother/daughter time, and to the rest of the Chivsy/Rico Travel parties for such great company. :)

Roll on Bydgoszcz 2007.