British Speedway Forum

Bydgoszcz Gp Chat Thread

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facing facts, we're basically waiting for the likes of Gollob, Adams and Hancock to shuffle off into retirement for a fundamental change in the GP standings. I wouldn't bet against all three being in the top eight again next season, together with Crump, Nicki P and Jonsson. Hampel might make a push, but I'm not holding my breath and Zagar might consolidate or he might have a "reality check" season and dip out. So, basically, Jagus and everyone else is really fighting for a couple of places.

So you don't think Andersen will get through then. I think, although he qualified by right, judging Jagus on tonights performance is a bit like judging Leigh Lanham just on his performances at Arena.

So you don't think Andersen will get through then. I think, although he qualified by right, judging Jagus on tonights performance is a bit like judging Leigh Lanham just on his performances at Arena.

Already answered the Andersen point. He didn't pull up any trees tonight. Maybe security of tenure will be his downfall as it was last season.

And Bydgoszcz isn't Jagus' home track in Poland, so the comparison you offer isn't worthy.

Nicholls rode with his head up his backside all evening. Wasn't that quick and was riding the wrong lines and stuffing himself up.

That cock up when he made his only gate of the night off one and tried to take Hancock wide when there was no need and saw everyone go by him and he ended up stuffing his own race up just sums Scotts problems up. He kept heading for the dirt on turn 2 and was continually passed up the inside. Why did he not learn?

Anyone who says he is not in the top 10 riders ability wise in the world is not worth arguing with, but he is mentally weak at the top level and for me I hope he doesn't get a wildcard next year as he needs a kick up the arse. Mentally he has to become tougher and have more ambition.

He is in a comfort zone knowing he will get wildcards as there are no other Brits to challenge him at the moment. Make him watch the GP's next season so he can see what he is missing out on like Andersen this year and so he can improve in the areas he is weak on.

Get rid of Havelock in his corner for a start as he is as bad as Nicholls with making excuses for him and being happy with just squeezing into semi finals. Do his team have no ambition?

As I say on ability and talent he is a GP rider, but hopefully no wildcard for him as he doesn't really deserve one.

Support Scott in the GP's as he is English and a good racer, but is frustrating to watch as he doesn't help himself on occasions like tonight.

Personally don't think we deserve any of our riders in the series.

Cracking GP though.

If you want the best riders available in the GP's then Lindback, Nicholls and Bjarne will get re-entered along with Peter Karlsson for next season - simple as !

However, I agree that Nicholls cant relax on the thought "I'm Englands number one, so I will get nominated anyway" so after three attempts to qualify, maybe he should be left out for a season.

As PK and Harris are first reserves, maybe brining Steady in will be more benefit and give the other nominated place to Karol Zabik or Fredrik Lindgren who both will be there one day, so why not now !

A moan (for a change). What a GP. Would have loved to have ben there. Oh thats right should have been there. Thanks RyanAir. Was due to be on the !!.45 flight from Stansted that didnt leave until 16.25. Wouldnt have landed until 19.30. So didnt bother. Nightmare. Did anyone else befall the same fate or am I the only idiot who didnt travel the day before

I do not believe for one moment that Scott did not take part in the world Champs qualifying because he felt it was beneath him. He wanted to prove to the fans and probably more importantly to himself for his own confidence, that he could qualify automatically. Sadly, it was not to be and I'm quite sure that he is now devastated. I hope for all of us British speedway fans, that he swallows his pride and accepts a Wild Card entry for next season. I just cannot imagine a Cardiff GP without Scott Nicholls and I'm quite sure that BSI would feel the pinch financially if he was not included.

Well that all backfired didn't it? He could have proved his worth by going to the qualifier, but chose not to. If there's only on Brit in next year, let it be Bomber, at least he's hungry for success!! :)

Don't be so hard on Millard, I find his commentary amusing and adds to the event. I'm so cynical as to let the facts get in the way of what he says! :lol:

Based on the number 1's performances in advance of Monday, only Greg seems to be on top form at the mo. Will make it all interesting. Just hope Scotty keeps up his form at P-boro. :lol:

If you want the best riders available in the GP's then Lindback, Nicholls and Bjarne will get re-entered along with Peter Karlsson for next season - simple as !

However, I agree that Nicholls cant relax on the thought "I'm Englands number one, so I will get nominated anyway" so after three attempts to qualify, maybe he should be left out for a season.

As PK and Harris are first reserves, maybe brining Steady in will be more benefit and give the other nominated place to Karol Zabik or Fredrik Lindgren who both will be there one day, so why not now !

what steady,dont you mean put harris in steady at reserve.o sorry wolves fan cant have divebomber in ;)

Nicholls would have had a fair chance of qualifying had he not missed a round, I believe this season has seen him make a step forward (after the WTC) and having his rivallry with Andersen has made him a better rider.

However last night was frustrating watching him he has learnt to cut back but he should have stayed on the line when against Hancock. His final race was excellent but he made a slight mistake on the 2nd turn of lap 2 which meant he went out a little wide.

I do believe he needs to take stock of his "team" I dont think Havelock is the man to have I also believe his equipment is not quite as good as the top top riders.

Hopefully he will be back next year having had a look at himself and hopefully will be joined by Bomber.

I believe this season has seen him make a step forward.

No he hasn't - it's all a grand delusion.

And we will never know whether Nicholls would've qualified if he'd raced at Prague. But history suggests that he wouldn't have. After all, he didn't last season and he didn't the season before. Chances are he won't next season, since it's clear he doesn't really need to bother trying too hard.

Must add my name to those a bit disappointed in Scott.I am a fan and really thought that especially after his win in the Golden Helmet at Pardubice last year he would have the confidence to take on the top in the GP's.Something isn't working and he needs to really take stock this winter as this "last chance" could be just that, to make the elite. :(

Well how about judging Jagus on his Swedish form where he has the highest average of all the Poles riding in the Elitserien (including Gollob and Hampel).

Ranked sixth overall he is ahead of:

Jonsson

Nicholls

Loram

Zagar

Lindback

B Pedersen

Interesting debate re Scott Nicholls.

I don't think for a moment that its a question of him not trying or being in a comfort zone. For me its a question of is he good enough? I think that Scott has not proved that he is up to it at present. Yes he is British Champion. But by the same logic you could say what about including the Russian or Finnish, or Latvian etc. The fact is that Scott is the natinal champion of a weak speedway nation (in terms of the ability of its riders).

Scotts average sscore over 9 GP's was about 9 points. Hampel's average prior to last night was about 10 and I think he missed one earlier in the season - so the notional points tha Scott might have got in Prague is probably academic.

I also don't think that Cardiff's attendance would be particularly harmed if there was no Brit in the series. After all we have a wild card place for the event and its not as if there has ever been a Brit in the series who has been anywhere near in contention for the GP championship when the circus hits Cardiff. So we would have a Brit to cheer and we would be (as usual) safe in the knowledge that whoever he is, he will fail magnificently! If he were to do well then so much the better.

Scott is the best we have and that sums it up. Who is coming through the ranks? I have a lot of time for Bomber but can you really call him or Simon Stead potential world champions.

The GP's are something of a threat to British Speedway because of the disruption to our league programme and the ability of elite league tracks to run on a Friday or Saturday night - which lets face it are attractive nights to stage events as most people do not have work/school the next day. I reckon that British Promotors would lick their lips at anything that threatens the viability of a 10 round GP series.

The real issue is that the obsession with foreign riders - particularly in the Premier League - means that Britain is virtually incapable of producing genuine world championship contenders. Foreign riders will use the premier/elite leagues but when it no longer suits them we don't see them for dust (e.g. Gollob, Rickardsson, Jonsson etc.). So is it time to raise the drawbridge? Fans only have themselves to blame. Our culture is one of an obsession with success and not good racing. You don't need superstars for good racing. You need properly prepared tracks and riders prepared to race. So what if the are not 'names'? I am of the old 'happiness is 38-40' school and I admit it.

I go to Rye House & Arena Essex and their recent fortunes could not be more different. But look at how they are run. Len's Rye giving British kids a chance which after a few seasons is now bearing fruit whilst Ronnie at Arena has a bunch of on loan (mainly foreign) journeymen.

But if a team loses a few matches everyone gets on the promotors back. look at Waggies last year a Oxford and all the changes to the team. Ridiculous. Len also sticks with his riders and gives them a chance to ride through a lean patch.

Lets not even start going on about the lack of opportunities for juniors such as they have in Poland, Denmark, Sweden etc. in comparison with Britain.

To my mind British speedway needs a complete shake up and for that it needs an independent controlling body able to take longer term strategic decisions and to not have any promotorial vested interests. Frankly I can't see that happening, so I think that we are in for more of the same.

I just hope that British speedway will continue to survive in whatever form as no matter what we all find to moan about - and I'm a guilty as anyone, its still a fantastic sport.

Enjoy your speedway everyone!

Edited by Cheekee Raylee Monkee

I'd just like to say what a brilliant meeting it was last night.

Lots and lots of passing/entertainment for us viewers, one of the best gp's i've ever seen.

I was disappointed scotty couldn't make it but tbh he just didn't have quick enough engines. He lead his last race against gollob and aj but got passed just because he couldn't keep up with there speed.

I think a change of engine tuner is definatly needed now for scotty. His old man has been doing his engines for a long while now but if scotty wants to be the best he has to change tuners.

Anybody have the number for mr karger?!!! :D

I think a change of engine tuner is definatly needed now for scotty. His old man has been doing his engines for a long while now but if scotty wants to be the best he has to change tuners.

And preferrably before tomorrow night please. :)

I'm not into averages & statistics so I'm not sure if Scott's has gone up or down this season (without checking) but it seems to me as if he has been beaten by a lot of the opposition number one's at Brandon this season and has been nowhere near as consistant as he was in 2005.

Wholesale clearout needed (including Havelock!) :P and a re-think of his plans for next season.

It was a very entertaining GP, watching speedway there weekly must be grrreeeeat!

Did you hear the comment that Gollob can just turn up at the Bydgoszcz track and do as many laps as he likes for as long as he likes, we don't have any facilities like that at british GP tracks (erm, there are none!) for british GP riders, at any british tracks for any british riders for that matter, have we? The british boys desparately need tracks where they can learn and do as many laps as needed from an early age, IF ONLY we had a similar set up to Sweden, Poland, Denmark and Australia (to a certain extent).

All those that say Chris Harris is not as good as Nicholls, just stop and ponder for a second. There is one heck of a jump in the stand of equipment needed in the GPs compared with the EL. Would Harris perform better if he had the same amount of sponsorship as Nicholls? Surely if Nicholls were not in the GP and Harris were, a certain amount of sponsorship would go Bombers way.

I agree with Subby, Nicholls has had 3 goes and failed time to give someone else a go, and Harris gets my vote.

All those that say Chris Harris is not as good as Nicholls, just stop and ponder for a second. There is one heck of a jump in the stand of equipment needed in the GPs compared with the EL. Would Harris perform better if he had the same amount of sponsorship as Nicholls? Surely if Nicholls were not in the GP and Harris were, a certain amount of sponsorship would go Bombers way.

I agree with Subby, Nicholls has had 3 goes and failed time to give someone else a go, and Harris gets my vote.

Great post and totally agree.

Bomber deserves the chance and if given it, surely sponsors would follow ?.

Did you hear the comment that Gollob can just turn up at the Bydgoszcz track and do as many laps as he likes for as long as he likes, we don't have any facilities like that at british GP tracks (erm, there are none!) for british GP riders, at any british tracks for any british riders for that matter, have we?

I'm not sure Gollob gets such favourable treatment at Bydgoszcz these days. He's no longer a Polonia Bydgoszcz rider. But your point is valid. Polish clubs have virtual, as they say, 24/7 access to their tracks and it's not unusual for clubs to host practice days and practice meetings - all they have to do is provide fuel and medical facilities.

Nicholls is the best we have, if he dosnt merit a place next year then no other Brit comes close. The GP series is for the best, the finished article, not as a means to bringing on and developing young inexperienced riders like Stead and the others that have been mentioned.

I suspect Scott will be in the GP series next year, not because of his begging bowl but because BSI will have got theirs out and persuaded him, for their own self interest, to take part.