British Speedway Forum

The Deaf (?) pen seller

Grachan

Don't know why, but memories of this guy came into my head today. He had dark, curly hair and seemed to be at just about every meeting I went to back in the 70s. He used to carry a tray of pens and would hold up his fingers to give the price if ever you bought one. Anyone else remember him? No reason, just curious. (It's definitely a sign of getting old when you start getting nostalgic about a bloke selling pens!!)

Maybe that's why I always used to see him then! He also used to regularly turn up at World Championship events too, which is maybe where I got the impression he was omnipresent.

Guest cheetahhawk

I remember seeing him too at Hackney for big meetings and at places like Reading,Swindon and Oxford.Haven't seen him for a number of years now though.

Don't know why, but memories of this guy came into my head today. He had dark, curly hair and seemed to be at just about every meeting I went to back in the 70s. He used to carry a tray of pens and would hold up his fingers to give the price if ever you bought one. Anyone else remember him? No reason, just curious. (It's definitely a sign of getting old when you start getting nostalgic about a bloke selling pens!!)

Yes I remember him too. He was a reegular at many meetings down south. I saw him a lot at White City in 76/77. Used to go to all the London Tracks every week from Coventry on the old 2 pounds return fare after 4pm - Now anybody remember that train fare! From Coventry in the 70's!