British Speedway Forum

British Selection For 2007

Guest Schumi
The odds may be against me. I may be outnumbered millions to one.

It may surprise you to know you're not alone in your opinion, but the rest of us gave up some time ago and agreed to disagree. The phrase "flogging a dead horse" springs to mind.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may surprise you to know you're not alone in your opinion, but the rest of us gave up some time ago and agreed to disagree. The phrase "flogging a dead horse" springs to mind.

Reinforcements. Now, with Schumi at my side, nothing can stop us. Have no fear, we will triumph over the reactionary forces that bar the path to British speedway rediscovering its self-respect and dignity.

Guest Schumi
Reinforcements. Now, with Schumi at my side, nothing can stop us. Have no fear, we will triumph over the reactionary forces that bar the path to British speedway rediscovering its self-respect and dignity.

Nuh uh, don't involve me. I'm no good with arguments :unsure:

I just feel cheated.

Last season, around this time, I made much the same comments and the usual suspects came out with their usual claptrap. Subedei would be eating his words when Nicholls (and, as far as SCB was concerned, Lee Richardson, whom, improbably, SCB had decided was one of the top fifteen riders in the world) stormed into not just the top eight, but the top 3-4. I would've eaten my words. I've eaten them before and although they're not as nice as fish and chips, they're infinitely better than those diabolical small cabbage things. So, why aren't they eating their words? At this time I should be serene in the knowledge that vindication was mine and they should be accepting of that fact. But they aren't.

No, they're coming up with all sort of revisionist nonsense to justify the unjustifiable and defend the indefensible. You watch, someone here will decide the only GP that counts was the Italian GP and that as a result Nicholls is actually No 2 in the world.

And what about next year, when Nicholls flops again? Will they eat their words? No, they'll come up with new excuses to justify yet another nomination for a serial failure.

Edited by Subedei

Guest Schumi
So, why aren't they eating their words?

Think they've probably lost the will to live after reading all this. :unsure:

Would you like the number of a good therapist? You might even find a nice lady who wears an anklet and likes fish and chips ;)

Nuh uh, don't involve me. I'm no good with arguments :unsure:

Though you always seem to marshall them pretty well against some of us, Schumi. Perhaps you save yourself for the best debates with Kev, Subedei and co? :D

And maybe Tarnow fans, who've witnessed Nicholls race to a stunning 5.60 average in Poland, scoring a memorable 2+1 from 5 at Rybnik and an astonishing 0 from 1 in the following home meeting, and Kolodziej would be in an even better position.

Were you one of those Tarnow fans? Some how I doubt it so your arguement in this case is irrelevant, but still that has not stopped you in the past.

Guest Schumi

Argghh :rolleyes::D Just when you thought it had all gone quiet. :rolleyes: You could always delete it SJ before he sees it or none of us are going to get any closure. And we need closure. ;)B)

Were you one of those Tarnow fans? Some how I doubt it so your arguement in this case is irrelevant, but still that has not stopped you in the past.

"Nicholls was half a man," was the rather cutting comment of at least one Tarnow supporter after watching Nicholls.

Still, you just cling to your delusions of grandeur. But it does British speedway no good at all, living in a timewarp while the rest of the world moves on.

Maybe next season, after another dismal failure, you'll be ready to eat those words. But I doubt it. You'll just come up with the same revisionist nonsense to justify yet another charity outing for the hapless, helpless Nicholls.

Delusions of granduer I think not, you seem to be putting words in my mouth... I do think Scott will get in for next years series. I dont think he will become world champion, also it must be said I do not think he is 1/2 as bad as you seem to think he is. It must be said that I dont think the situation is going to bring the sport of speedway or the United Kingdom great amounts of shame as you seem to think it will.

I also think Nicholls will be in the GPs next season. But he shouldn't be. How many more failures is he to be allowed? The truth is he may not be as poor as I think, but he's not half as good as some people around here think he is. He's a second-rate rider from a second-rate speedway nation, pure and simple.

Last season, around this time, I made much the same comments and the usual suspects came out with their usual claptrap. Subedei would be eating his words when Nicholls (and, as far as SCB was concerned, Lee Richardson, whom, improbably, SCB had decided was one of the top fifteen riders in the world) stormed into not just the top eight, but the top 3-4. I would've eaten my words.

I did believe Lee was one fo the top 15 riders in the World. I also argued last year that Lee was more likely to win a GP than Scott. It all went wrong though.

AH Well!

I think it would be pretty catastrophic if Scott did a Lee R!!!

I did believe Lee was one fo the top 15 riders in the World.  I also argued last year that Lee was more likely to win a GP than Scott.  It all went wrong though.

It did, indeed, all go wrong. And not just for Richardson. Nicholls failed again. Why should he have another go, after now failing for a third time and having turned up his nose at the alternative qualification route?

I, on the other hand, argued last season that Richardson and Nicholls would fail again, which they did.

But what is to fail? Not be World Champion? Not be in the top 3? Nopt be in the top 8? top 10? Not make a final?

I do believe that Scott is a GP standard rider and I don't believe he has failed (ok, he has failed to make the top 3, failed to make the top 8 etc etc).

Only riders who failed this year IMO where Lee Richardson and Pepe Protasawicz! I'm not even going to include Puk as I think most people knew he was going to struggle.

Only riders who failed this year IMO where Lee Richardson and Pepe Protasawicz!  I'm not even going to include Puk as I think most people knew he was going to struggle.

Except you, of course. You actually predicted that Iversen would be top ten material.

Failure to qualify is failure. Failure to qualify a second year running is dismal failure, Failure to qualify three years running is abject failure. Nicholls has had his chances and failed the last three times. Enough is enough.

And I'd be adding a certain TR to your list of 2006 failures, by the way.

Edited by Subedei

This is no longer a discussion, more of a battle of willpower. Who will be the first to give up? :unsure:

My money says Sube won't be that person!!!

The odds may be against me.

Don't let that phase you mate - you have an opinion, and you are perfectly entitled to voice it!!!

The phrase "flogging a dead horse" springs to mind.

Have Coventry made Mr Nicholls avaiable for ttransfer then?

But what is to fail?  Nopt be in the top 8?

In GP terms, quite simply yes.

Failure to qualify is failure.

And nobody can argue with that................ surely? :wink:

Edited by Kevin Hammond