British Speedway Forum

Sullivan's New Tyre

The guys in the studio and the commentators spent most of the evening talking about Sullivan's new tyres, but does anyone actually know how they were any different? Surely all tyres have to conform to the same regulations, so a tyre is a tyre is a tyre. Right?

I think in the studio they said it was a tad wider than the average speedway tyre, as they were talking about the grooves at the gates at the time, then again I might have dreamt that bit as kept dozing off :lol::wink: seemed to have a bit more of a grip on it though didn't it?

It was also mentioned that Ole Olsen chose Ryan to test out the new tyre during the GP. Or did I dream that as well :unsure:

The guys in the studio and the commentators spent most of the evening talking about Sullivan's new tyres, but does anyone actually know how they were any different? Surely all tyres have to conform to the same regulations, so a tyre is a tyre is a tyre. Right?

Maybe Mr Millard said Sullivan had retyred! :shock:

They did say that it is a tad wider, and I think that it really is a tad from the way they were speaking. The tyre was sanctioned, and it was used by a rider who's points have no affect on the standings. I really don't see the problem in it being used. Certainly didn't help much in the semi.

Did they say it was a Barum tyre? I seem to remember hearing that, or perhaps they are all that make anyway. :unsure:

Barum used to be part of the Jawa-Skoda-Zetor conglomorate in the old Czechoslovakia.

And Tony Millard at one point said Ryan Sullivan would be crowned world champion without having to ride another race. That was just one of a few howlers tonight.

Edited by Subedei

So there wasn't any whiff of an accusation that this tyre was somehow illegal then? This sort of thread tends to start with an implication that the rider has got an unfair advantage. I take it extra width is OK within the rules?

Why are they developing new tires for speedway? I see no reason for any kind of modifications to tire diameters. Only thing to develope in my mind is the rubber configuration to make it last more, therefore lowering the cost's involved.

But I'm just me...

The compound of the tyre and the width both make the tyre grippier and safer, in the 60's right through till about 83, i think, the tyres were all bigger and had deeper grooves, they lasted longer and even if the track was slick you got a hell of a lot more traction than you do now, riders used to be allowed to "cut " their own tyres thus making more grooves for even more traction. In the early 80's there were Barum tyres, dunlops, and one the Americans used called a carlisle, then for some reason they changed the size and depth of the grooves and made all riders use the same tyre, check out coventry's programme for the different track records for each size tyre. I hope this means that someone is trying to get racing back into speedway, problem is if all riders use the same tyres you'll be back to square one with the fastest riders clearing off into the distance.

The compound of the tyre and the width both make the tyre grippier and safer, in the 60's right through till about 83, i think, the tyres were all bigger and had deeper grooves, they lasted longer and even if the track was slick you got a hell of a lot more traction than you do now, riders used to be allowed to "cut " their own tyres thus making more grooves for even more traction. In the early 80's there were Barum tyres, dunlops, and one the Americans used called a carlisle, then for some reason they changed the size and depth of the grooves and made all riders use the same tyre, check out coventry's programme for the different track records for each size tyre. I hope this means that someone is trying to get racing back into speedway, problem is if all riders use the same tyres you'll be back to square one with the fastest riders clearing off into the distance.

I'm remembering back a few GP years now... wasn't their some kind of controversy about tyres, FIM insisted that these tyres were used and riders said they were dangerous. Is it possible that Ryan's "new" tyre was similar in construction to these "old" ones?

TST

.... I hope this means that someone is trying to get racing back into speedway, problem is if all riders use the same tyres you'll be back to square one with the fastest riders clearing off into the distance.

What a silly comment! If racing came back into speedway, crowds might improve and the sport become more exciting to watch once again. Completely against the ideas of the BSPA :wink:

Sorry!!! for a moment there i thought that maybe the BSPA, BSI or FIM were thinking of actually entertaining the paying public for the large amouts of cash that they make out of us each meeting!