British Speedway Forum

Best ever British Rider

Guest headmixer

Guest headmixer

I've read all about the best rider ever and can't help but notice that most are foreign riders. Who (in your opinion) was or is the best British rider?

Pete Collins, Malc Simmons, John Louis and Mike Lee would all feature in my best ever list. You can tell when I was watching the most from this list.

Michael Lee, Malcolm Simmonds, Dave Jessup, John Louis, Gordon Kennett, Simon Wigg, Kenny Carter, Peter Collins, and my Uncle Ted ;) although not in the same league as the rest I loved him then and love him now :lol: (well, ya never know who's reading d'ya :D )

I've read your post three times Shazzy, but still can't find where you've hidden Mark Loram's name ;-)

Well to be honest Kev, I would have put Marks' name first on the list, (You know I would ;) ) as this is in the "Years Gone By" I thought it best to just stick with the heros of my Childhood. Rest assured though in a few years time I will add Mark to my all time heros' list ;):lol: I was even tempted to squeeze him in just before Uncs' name but someone would bound to have picked up on that ;)

not this time falcace....its best ever riders and anything else WILL be moderated :twisted:

Oh come on... No brainer! Nigel Booocock look at his record over a great number of years - 17 at Coventry. England International and Captain. OK Never World Champion, but a great rider, with a great record. Of course Peter Craven would be up there too, sadly his career ended so tragically. The other PC as well was a great crowd pleaser and a World Champion. But, Booey outlast them all in terms of overall performances at league and International level. He won WTC medals as well, and would have been British Champion more than once had the Kiwi's not been in the race too!

Just my opinion.

Mike Lee and Kenny Carter! Sorry no.

Not sure on the above statement :? :!:

On the track excellent riders but personal lives nothing to do with us :!: and just because they didn't ride for Coventry isn't a good enough reason not to rate them ;):lol::):D

I'm a little too young to include the likes of Peter Craven, but based purely on what riders I have seen in action I'd say it would be between Peter Collins, Dave Jessup, and Kenny Carter, with the likes of John Louis Mike Lee and Malcolm Simmonds only slightly down the pecking order.

Overall I'd say Peter Collins.

Hopefully we'll be talking about Scott Nicholls in the same way in ten years time.

Not sure on the above statement :? :!:

On the track excellent riders but personal lives nothing to do with us :!: and just because they didn't ride for Coventry isn't a good enough reason not to rate them ;):lol::):D

Nothing to do with just because he rode for Coventry.

And re Mike the Bike and Kenny Carter. IMHO - Mike Lee a great talent as a teenager, then developed into a great rider. But, off track does play a part in what happens on track IMHO. He went off the rails. And I think many know that. Wasted talent and skill that is why 'no'

KC - Well I always felt he was too wild and hot headed. But yes another great rider, then 'see off the rails' You can not ignore what happened off track when it ruined or ended what happened on track - "jUST MY OPINION and NO I don't want to create a flame war with anyone. Just clarifying. Thanks

Bee,

I've heard many people say how good Booey was, personally I never saw him at his best, but his exploits and the impression he left here in Australia cannot be ignored, infact his exploits whilst leading the British Lions touring teams is legendary in these parts.

Having said that I only remember Little Boy Blue in his latter days at Bristol etc, where he was a mere shadow of his former self, whereas the likes of Peter Collins and Dave Jessup more or less finished on a high.

Guest SURREYDON

Can always remember that we usually had a very solid team in the world team cups with the likes of Jessup,Collins,Simmons,Morton,Kennett and a little later with the likes of Lee and Carter.

We seem to be going through a bit of a lull at the moment with not quite the numbers of proven internationals(not helped by the current crop of injuries).

Hopefully with the current crop of riders in the under 21 competitions this will improve.

:lol::lol: