British Speedway Forum

Peter Craven In Australia

Ross Garrigan

Following a request from England for information on Peter Craven's visit to Australia in 1959-60, a short article titled "The Wizard in Oz" has been added to the Australian Speedway History Page on Craig Fordham's website.

The link for the story is

http://www.ausm.info/aus_history/1950-60/pcraven.htm

Australian Speedway History Page

http://www.ausm.info/aus_history/ashist_header.htm

Guest Jim Blanchard

Ross,

Yes, an excellent article. Thanks for that. OK, I agree he did not have the flair of Ove or the aggression of Briggo and maybe not the bike skills of Ronnie Moore but I always thought he was special as a person and one I felt I had some affinity with.

I remember sitting watching him shirt sleeves rolled up cutting his tyre in the New Cross pits for about an hour before a meeting once. He spoke to me only once in the pits at Wimbledon.

That meeting at Wimbledon (sorry I cannot remember any details) he gated slow from four and just stayed out there; back wheel inches from the fence all tangled up in a full locker in the dirt and mastering that much grip which propelled him into the back straight leading. All the other riders, mechanics watching all just looked at each other in disbelief. What memories. As we discussed by email I would love some proper photo's of PC on that trip.

You made an old fart very happy. :approve::)

Thanks again Ross.

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Ross,

Yes, an excellent article. Thanks for that. OK, I agree he did not have the flair of Ove or the aggression of Briggo and maybe not the bike skills of Ronnie Moore but I always thought he was special as a person and one I felt I had some affinity with.

I remember sitting watching him shirt sleeves rolled up cutting his tyre in the New Cross pits for about an hour before a meeting once. He spoke to me only once in the pits at Wimbledon.

That meeting at Wimbledon (sorry I cannot remember any details) he gated slow from four and just stayed out there; back wheel inches from the fence all tangled up in a full locker in the dirt and mastering that much grip which propelled him into the back straight leading. All the other riders, mechanics watching all just looked at each other in disbelief. What memories. As we discussed by email I would love some proper photo's of PC on that trip.

You made an old fart very happy.  :approve:  :)

Thanks again Ross.

Jim, I have sent out a plea for photos of Peter from that visit but have had no success.

I have only ever seen one and that is of 3 riders across the track with Peter up against the fence. He is hardly visible.

Edited by Ross Garrigan

• 13 years later...