Puma23

Don Howison rode for Barrow in 1973.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More possibles -

Clem Thomas, around 1934.

Fred 'Tracker' Tracey here 1934 at Walthamstow (?) and again about 1949 at Coventry and Hull. Also promoted in 1940s in Melbourne. A great legtrailer - did well in Australia but couldn't repeat form in UK.

Anything on original post about Bill Harris?

And does the name BRIAN LOADER ring a bell with anyone?

Edited by speedyguy

More possibles -

I hadn't forgotten your query on Bill Harris. The only Harris which springs to mind was Bluey Wilkinson's nephew, but he didn't go to England until 1951 if my memory is correct.

I'll look into the matter further when I get time.

2 questions: -

Where did you get the name "William James Pomroy" as having travelled to England in 1928 to ride speedway?

Where did the information that Max Pearce was Frank Pearce's son come from?

Re Bill Harris: -

There were many Australian riders who travelled to the UK to try their luck immediately following the war. I can't place Bill Harris, and neither can a knowledgeable friend of mine whom I asked today. There was a major exodus of riders at that time from the Sydney area.

Re William James Pomroy: -

He is remembered as a racer on the huge banked concrete tracks in Australia. If he did any speedway racing at all pre his trip to the UK, it would have been very little. If you have any information about him appearing on speedway tracks in the UK, I'd like to hear about it. He would have been more at home at Brooklands.

He didn't travel as a member of A. J. Hunting's group of riders in 1928. In fact he wasn't even aboard the Oronsay for that voyage. He travelled over earlier, mainly to have a look at the various forms of motorcycle racing in England.

Re Max Pearce: -

If he was indeed Frank's son, you have come up with a very important piece of information.

Re:

Pomroy - his name is among signatures (photocopy) I have of various riders which include Paddy Dean. Probably signed in 1928 as Keith McKay is also on it.

Max Pearce - this is based on memory (always a failing) that I seem to recall reading when he died in 1949. Cannot think otherwise than I read he was Frank's son. There's no reason for me to link them as I never saw Frank ride (sadly before my time!). If somebody has reports of the period when Max was killed at Yarmouth this would probably confirm or otherwise my theory about him.

Bill Harris certainly rode in England. I recall he was among Aussies who turned up in England in 1947 - I think Steve Langton signed him up to ride for Tamworth. He was quite a useful rider - may have gone on to ride for Stoke and probably Long Eaton - retiring around 1953. He also rode some meetings in France and Belgium in 1950. The in 1953 vanished as so many riders did following the collapse of the sport in UK at this time.

I have tried to get more facts on him without success - there was a 'Who is Who' of riders published in UK in the 1950s - originally as a book aorund 1949 and later in weekly format in the 'Speedway Echo' in 1950. I don't have either now (sold them on foolishly years ago). I am certain Bill Harris would have been featured in these.

Edited by speedyguy

The local newspaper cutting I have reporting Max Pearce's death does not mention he was the son of Frank Pearce. That's not to say he wasn't, of course. It just says he came from Melbourne.

p.s. Incidentally, with reference to what this thread is all about, Stenner's Annual reporting his death says, "Pearce [was] the last man of the 50 rider Australian invasion to arrive..."

The Stenner's report also does not mention Frank Pearce.

Bill Harris is mentioned in the 1949 Who's Who. It says, as speedyguy says, that he arrived in England in 1947 to ride for Tamworth. He also rode for them in 1948.

He stayed at Tamworth in 1949, moving on to Hanley (Stoke) in 1950 and 1951.

Edited by norbold

I have queried the name Brian Loader. Did he race here - did he exist - or is it just a name I am familiar with from elsewhere?

Now I wonder about Bill Bryden. Was he a post-war UK starter? Pretty certian that he was. How many more Aussies are still missing from the list I wonder?

I know we had a few arguments about Bill Landels, but now we have definite facts and dates, I PROMISE I WON'T MENTION HIM AGAIN!!!

Bill Landels did ride in Australia after emigrating here. He suffered horrific ankle injuries in a fall at Liverpool Speedway in New South Wales in 1968 when his foot was caught in his bike's rear wheel. A huge gash in his heel resulted in extensive tendon and ligament damage.

• 2 weeks later...

Brent Collyer also rode for Eastbourne in the Elite League. He was another who had far more than his fair share of injuries. A crash at Arena Essex ended his career. He and his dad were at a meeting on Queensland's Gold Coast a few months back.

One of the greatest thrills of my life was watching Brent win the Queensland Championship.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned Peter Christopher. He was at Canterbury around 1980. Looked good until he broke his thigh and I don't think we ever saw him again after that.

Edited by duncrusadin

Don't know if anyone's mentioned Peter Christopher. He was at Canterbury around 1980. Looked good until he broke his thigh and I don't think we never saw him again after that.

Yep, but I don't believe anybody's mentioned Colin Rogerson, who appeared for Teesside in 1973.

Steve

Don't know if anyone's mentioned Peter Christopher. He was at Canterbury around 1980. Looked good until he broke his thigh and I don't think we ever saw him again after that.

Its a small world isn't it, Peter Christopher or "Grub "as he is effectionately known recently helped prepare an engine for my son who rides junior speedway in Australia.

He works for Rising Sun Honda in Townsville and his Son is half of the 2005 Australian Sidecar Championship winning Koppe/Christopher team.