British Speedway Forum

Kangaroos In Speedway League In Britian

Puma23

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiger Hart:

I have also been told that Steve Langton and Tiger Hart arrived in UK in 1930? Is that correct?

Thanks for the info Ross.

I have every reason to believe Steve Langton (his first name was Joseph by the way, but he preferred to be known by the shortened version of his middle name) first went to England in 1930. I do know for certain he was there in 1931.

Re Bat Byrnes: I have the very lengthy tribute printed in his honour which appeared in the Bathurst programme the year following his death. That is how I know where the "Bat" came from. It was more of a life story than a tribute. He was extremely highly thought of in Australian motorcycling circles. His first love was road racing and he was often late arriving in the UK for the new speedway season as he fitted in his speedway around his road racing in Australia.

Also on the subject of different names was H.R.Lees and "Ginger" Lees used at the same time?I only have him down as H.R.Lees in programmes i have,just wondered if other tracks listed him as Ginger.Norbold?

I don't know about other tracks. Sir Arthur Elvin refused to use the name "Ginger" in Wembley's programmes as it was a bit "downmarket"! He insisted on Lees having his initials, H.R., printed in the programme. I don't remember seeing any away programmes of the period featuring Lees. Interesting point!

Looed through my collection a little.In the Wimbledon programme for the 1934

England v Australia test he is listed as H.R.Lees,but in a "gossip" part of the programme as Ginger,and whoever filled his name in as a reserve replacement put G.Lees in.Also a New Cross v Wembley programme from same year has him in as "Ginger" Lees along with "Nobby" Key for the home side.So it looks very much like he was simultaneously known as H.R.Lees and Ginger Lees.The same would go for other riders down the years i guess.

Two more for you:

Jack Gates (St. Austell)

Gordon Leigh (Swindon) who was sadly killed at Warragula in December 1959.

Steve

Jack Gates had a fascinating nick name - he was known as "Rusty" Gates.

Australian Speedway History

http://www.ausm.info/aus_history/ashist_header.htm

Edited by Ross Garrigan

Jack Gates had a fascinating nick name - he was known as "Rusty" Gates.

OK Ross, there's another Aussie we've forgotten - Ipswich's Shorty Schirmer. Any ideas about his nickname? His height, perhaps?

Steve

I notice on the list of New Zealand riders one "Ronnie Moore".

I think his name should be on the Australian list as well. He rode in England as an Australian before he rode there as a New Zealander.

I know what you're saying, Ross, but you have to admit that he was actually known as a Kiwi. Obviously, there have been a few others who have changed nationality, such as Bob Andrews, Mitch Shirra, or Tadeusz Teodorowicz (I don't count Rune Holta among them!), and that might actually make an interesting list. To include riders on multiple lists here would not only be confusing, but could spark a few arguments!

Incidentally, here's another forgotten Aussie: Jack Hyland, who rode for Middlesbrough in 1939.

Steve

Edited by chunky

I know what you're saying, Ross, but you have to admit that he was actually known as a Kiwi.  Obviously, there have been a few others who have changed nationality, such as Bob Andrews, Mitch Shirra, or Tadeusz Teodorowicz (I don't count Rune Holta among them!), and that might actually make an interesting list.  To include riders on multiple lists here would not only be confusing, but could spark a few arguments!

Incidentally, here's another forgotten Aussie: Jack Hyland, who rode for Middlesbrough in 1939.

Steve

I've just written a story on Ronnie Moore which includes section of a letter written by his mother in 1951 addressing the matter of his nationality. There were some who were questioning his eligibility at the time to ride for Australia in Test Matches. If one looks at his early appearances in World Finals, he represented Australia.

Looed through my collection a little.In the Wimbledon programme for the 1934

England v Australia test he is listed as H.R.Lees,but in a "gossip" part of the programme as Ginger,and whoever filled his name in as a reserve replacement put G.Lees in.Also a New Cross v Wembley programme from same year has him in as "Ginger" Lees along with "Nobby" Key for the home side.So it looks very much like he was simultaneously known as H.R.Lees and Ginger Lees.The same would go for other riders down the years i guess.

Allen Trump told me that he has some pre-War correspondence between Sir Arthur Elvin and H.R. "Ginger" Lees, in which he wrote to Lees as "Dear Ginger", so his ban on the name in Wembley programmes didn't extend to his personal correspondence.

To Ross Garrigan

Maybe Can help me update the results http://www.lubusports.pl/mat05/indmaustralii.php

and http://www.lubusports.pl/mat05/mindmaustralii.php

Regards

I have found some of inconsistencies.

Maybe anyone can help me explain the inconsistencies.

This is very importent beacause my site works with dates bank (mysql)

8.Merve Harding or Merv Harding

13.Doug MacLachlan or Doug McLachlan

Merv Harding

Doug McLachlan

357 riders

Merve Harding

Doug MacLachlan

Hmmmm..... :blink:

I have had correctly in my file to data bank ;) Now I corrected at the post.

Edited by Puma23

To Ross Garrigan

Maybe Can help me update the results http://www.lubusports.pl/mat05/indmaustralii.php

and http://www.lubusports.pl/mat05/mindmaustralii.php

Regards

Re your list of Australian Champions, it is mostly correct. However, you may be interested to know that the first Australian Championships held on small dirt tracks in this country and sanctioned by a National Australian body were the two held at Davies Park in December 1928 (won by Frank Pearce and Max Grosskreutz).

Most lists don't include the Tommy Benstead Championship as there were problems with the authorities concerning the running of that event.

Sadly, there are Australian Championships mentioned on your list which were hardly more that State Championships. However, the riders who won them must be given due credit.