British Speedway Forum

Bernt Persson

KevH

No Kev

Edinburgh(65,67),Coatbridge(68),Cradley(69,70,71,72,73,75,76,77),Sheffield(78)

Thanks mate - a great help as always. :approve:

Are you sure about 1968 though, my records have him down as Edinburgh?

Further edit - I stand corrected - you are quite correct - Coatbridge it was.

Edited by Kevin Hammond

We've got a lengthy interview with Bernie Persson lined up for issue 14 of Backtrack.

Has anybody got any particular questions you'd like us to put to him?

A couple of major World Final incidents spring to mind - his clash with Mauger in 1967 and, again at Wembley, the infamous 1972 tangle with Briggo that cost Barry his little finger.

Speaking to Briggo at the VSRA dinner, he still hasn't put Bernie back on his Xmas card list!

Bet Cradley fans won't have a bad word said about him, though...

Edited by tmc

Can't wait to read that interview, and yes Tony Cradley fans won't hear a bad word said about our Bernie.

I would like to hear from Bernie how he felt riding for the Heathens when Dan McCormick was in charge and he ended up being sacked.

You have to remember that Bernie was not excluded following the Briggo crash, though having watched it again recently that is definitely a questionable decision.

Bernie was my hero from when he joined the Heathens in 1969, particularly when you remember how the loyal Heathens fans had to endure season after season of disappointment.

As many Cradley memories as possible please!

We've got a lengthy interview with Bernie Persson lined up for issue 14 of Backtrack.

Has anybody got any particular questions you'd like us to put to him?

A couple of major World Final incidents spring to mind - his clash with Mauger in 1967 and, again at Wembley, the infamous 1972 tangle with Briggo that cost Barry his little finger.

Speaking to Briggo at the VSRA dinner, he still hasn't put Bernie back on his Xmas card list!

Bet Cradley fans won't have a bad word said about him, though...

Could you please ask him if he enjoyed his time at Sheffield, and how was his relantionship with Craig Pendlebury.

Can't wait to read that interview, and yes Tony Cradley fans won't hear a bad word said about our Bernie.

I would like to hear from Bernie how he felt riding for the Heathens when Dan McCormick was in charge and he ended up being sacked.

You have to remember that Bernie was not excluded following the Briggo crash, though having watched it again recently that is definitely a questionable decision.

Bernie was my hero from when he joined the Heathens in 1969, particularly when you remember how the loyal Heathens fans had to endure season after season of disappointment.

As many Cradley memories as possible please!

The reasons he wasn't excluded was because it was on the first bend and the ref was an idiot. One of the most blatent pieces of dirty riding ever and it ended Briggo's career as a World Class rider.

The reasons he wasn't excluded was because it was on the first bend and the ref was an idiot. One of the most blatent pieces of dirty riding ever and it ended Briggo's career as a World Class rider.

I agree, it certainly looked a dodgy move to me, I reckon Briggo would have won that night as well.

Colin :)

Any particular reason why we should ask that? - pse elaborate for those who weren't in the know at Owlerton back then....

When at Sheffield Craig Pendlebury was Bernie's race partner, they appeared to team all the time, gaining 5-1 on numerous occasion's, the thing was that Bernie was a far better team rider than Craig, and there was a rumour, and I stress a rumour that Bernie had hold of Craig, and told him so.

The following week, Bernie was no longer riding alongside Craig, that was given to Reg Wilson.

Must say that although we only had Berine at the twlight of his career, you could still tell that he was a class act.

Got some good photos of Bernie from his visit to OZ for the GP.

As for the Briggo incident, I thought it was a superbly executed, clinically precise and couragously undertaken move....Bernie just underestimated how slow Briggo was going....TIC

Oh and he was just about to pass Mauger in the run off too...

Heathens....Heathens.....Heathens

Edited by whowasthatberntpersson

Got some good photos of Bernie from his visit to OZ for the GP.

As for the Briggo incident, I thought it was a superbly executed, clinically precise and couragously  undertaken move....Bernie just underestimated how slow Briggo was going....TIC

Oh and he was just about to pass Mauger in the run off too...

Heathens....Heathens.....Heathens

As a Wolves fan present at the meeting, you don't know many fingers, toes, etc. I had crossed for Mauger to win. :D

Must say that although we only had Bernie at the twilight of his career, you could still tell that he was a class act.
I liked him as well, although at the time I didn't realise how big a legend he was with Cradley etc. as I got interested just as they sacked him.

Spin has a better memory than me, I can't remember him team riding (or not LOL ) with Craig Pendlebury. Mind you CP was the Scott Smith of the day ie. not that able to team ride well with anyone!

He was also at Gosford the day after the Oz GP, they brought him out onto the centre green and gave him a big build up.

Edited by Tigerblade

Being from Wolves, more than most at the start of the night too i'd wager! :P