British Speedway Forum

Internationale

jblanch69

Way to go,.. I do think the original painting would be icing on the cake though DD. Hey, we have had our moments, but I have always respected your art, I am not blind, I see what you do. That side of you humbles me JB. :)

Guest BritPeter

I well remember the Internationale being held at Harringay, I was not there, but I recall the Speedway star's report on the meeting, it was a really hot night, and the track was bumpy.

In the heats, apparantly, according to the speedway star, Ove was leading Ronnie, but Ove hit a big bump and Moore got by him, and Ove won a great race with Ronnie Moore in a run-off for the cup, great day's and great riders. I was a huge fan of Ove Fundin and as far as I am concerned he is the greatest ever. Ove won three Internationale's on the trot.

• 1 month later...

Some classic racing during this event over the years.

My memories are of the long drive South after Cradley's traditional Monday morning fixture at the Shay.

So racing at two of the most vastly different tracks in the UK within twelve hours.

Memories for me include sitting on Clapham Common eating corned beef and mustard sandwiches and watching the planes flying above and wondering if Tommy J or any of the other top Swedes were in them and flying in for the meeting.

OMG I've just read this back and I think I've finally lost it

What dya mean 'finally' ?? :twisted: :clown

• 7 months later...

1961 - 1981 only Kev...

61 Fundin

62 Fundin

63 Fundin

64 Briggs

65 Monk

66 Nordin

67 Nordin

68 N.Boocock

69 Hedge

70 Mauger

71 Mauger

72 Mauger

73 Olsen

74 P.Collins

75 Olsen

76 Simmons

77 Jancarz

78 P. Collins

79 Lee

80 Jessup

81 Nielsen

Remember when Garry Middleton - Cass the Gas of Hackney fame - (falsely) accused Ivan Mauger of using the banned nitro fuel additive that caused uproar at the 1972 Internationale?

This WAS the biggest meeting of the UK year, with a line-up that always surpassed the World Final itself for pure quality from 1-16.

When Hedgie won the 1969 Internationale, he drove home with his bike packed into his boot. How times have changed, eh?

Don't know about Halifax to Wimbledon, but for us Southerners the Spring Bank Holiday schedule was: Reading (11am), Rye House (3.30 or 4pm), then Plough Lane (7.45). What a day!

Tony Mc

Guest Rod King

It's good that this thread has revived - and it would be even better if the meeting could be revived. I am not convinced that the "new" track (even allowing for this winter's alterations) lends itself to the fast racing of the top riders (though I'm sure plenty will abuse me for that comment!)

There was a rather sour note from much earlier postings where one contributor said "I think a big meeting as suggested above would be great but the prize would have to be good to motivate the riders to compete." and someone added " the final sentence of the last posting just about sums up the sport these days"

This rather overlooks the fact that, in the years when Wills sponsored the Internationale, the winner's prize was a complete new bike.

Now, a new bike is a new bike, so the value of the top prize in today's terms was around £4,000 plus all of the riders being paid for their points. I think that's pretty good!

And, I wouldn't have thought that such a prize fund would be too rich nowadays as long as the event was properly promoted.