British Speedway Forum

Who Would You Like To See An Article On?

Grachan

Hi Ian, only just seen your posting as I've been very busy recently. I'm not at all sure that the promotion up at Boldon park would have lasted any longer with my input as a rider even though it's nice of you to speculate, the side was fairly competant from the begining of that season as it contained a balanced cross section of team members. From what I heard from various sources at the time it appeared the new promoters vastly undercapitalised the business from day one, although their collective efforts weren't nearly enough to prevent lack of support from dropping dramatically causing the demise of the Stars. As I stated in the article it's such a pity teams like that always seem to go under because the track lent itself to good racing. If ever Sunderland were given a chance to emerge again for racing it would be interesting to see how a new promoter could drum up adequate support by actually diong some old fashioned PROMOTING ( remember that ) in the region.

Regards Rod Haynes.

Hi Rod

Thank you very much for your kind reply. Please keep doing your pieces for Backtrack - I enjoy reading them very much. I do wish we could go back to the old days - upright two valves etc. Speedway was better then. There were accidents in those days but not as many as now. Tracks haven't changed that much from 1928 BUT the bikes are so much faster. Your articles bring back many memories. THANK YOU.

• 2 weeks later...

Zenon Plech

Andrew Silver

Andy Galvin

Barry Thomas

Karl Fiala

Paul Whittaker

Laurie Etheridge

Garry Tagg

Daily Mirror / Volkswagen Grand Prix

Durex Test Series :shock:

Golden Greats Meeting

Paul 'Jumpin' Johnson

Briggo was still a top rider in the 70's

Iwade

Edited by Brian L

• 3 weeks later...

There is news on the Official Oxford website that Arne Pander is staying in an old folks home in Kings Lynn. I know that he rode in an earlier era than is covered by Backtrack but an article on him in one of the excellant magazines would be long overdue.

Ronnie Genz is another who springs to mind. I still have a scrap book with the Oxford Mail cutting in it headlined 'Genz beats the world champion' when he beat Ove Fundin at Cowley one night.

Regards

Cowboy Cook - surely John Berry keeps in touch?!

Egon Muller

Dennis Sigalos

some of the big hitters in the National League too...

Steve Lawson

Tom Owen

Steve Schofield

As for non-riders...

Gary Newbon

Ian Thomas

Peter Adams

I think Steve Lawson and Tom Owen have been featured already.

Good ideas on the non-riders.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has George Major been mentioned? He spent some time with Doncaster in 1970 and Birmingham after that so although he had a lengthy career before the 1970's he would still fit the timeframe.

He was a top rider and is my first Speedway memory from the first meeting i went to in my home town of Doncaster aged 12!

Has George Major been mentioned? He spent some time with Doncaster in 1970 and Birmingham after that so although he had a lengthy career before the 1970's he would still fit the timeframe.

He was a top rider and is my first Speedway memory from the first meeting i went to in my home town of Doncaster aged 12!

And do you remember those 'cowhorn' handlebars on George's Bike. :approve:

Hmmmm....

What's Larry Ross up to?

Dennis Sigalos too...very classy rider...

Larry Ross is up to a lot. Go to worldspeedway.com and type in his name. His son is a good rider too over in New Zealand, and Larry has not retired from the sport!!