British Speedway Forum

Rayleigh Rockets

KrisB

I have some footage from Rayleigh,taken in 1958,of the 'Atom Car'

It shows Ronnie Greene and Cyril Brine,setting the car up in the pits,before embarking on a few demo laps of the circuit.No bike action Im afraid.

It is from the Briitsh Pathe series.

Incidently,this was sent to me via email from former Wimbledon,Wolves,Cradley and Hackney star,Bob Andrews.

I have tried many times to put the link on here,without success.If anyone would like the link,please PM on here with your email address,and I will happily forward it on to you.

Hope it helps.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some footage from Rayleigh,taken in 1958,of the 'Atom Car'

It shows Ronnie Greene and Cyril Brine,setting the car up in the pits,before embarking on a few demo laps of the circuit.No bike action Im afraid.

It is from the Briitsh Pathe series.

Incidently,this was sent to me via email from former Wimbledon,Wolves,Cradley and Hackney star,Bob Andrews.

I have tried many times to put the link on here,without success.If anyone would like the link,please PM on here with your email address,and I will happily forward it on to you.

Hope it helps.

I am certain the Atom Car did not appear at Rayleigh but in fact was at Wimbledon Stadium.

The car is now owned by Jack Taylor.

Edited by speedyguy

I am certain the Atom Car did not appear at rayleigh but in fact was at Wimbledon Stadium.

The car is now owned by Jack Taylor.

Definitely not Wimbledon.Cant confirm its Rayleigh either,as I only went there once as a 5 year old,and cant remember it.

Let me have your email,and see for yourself!

Thanks. I have been into the site you mentioned.

I agree it is NOT Wimbledon but most likely Rayleigh.

This car has been chronicled in several publications, Vintage Speedway Magazine and Short Circuit several times. These have always given the impression that tests only took place at Wimbledon.

Indeed, in one test at Plough Lane, Moore was quite badly injured when the car overturned amd never drove it again.

Was this Rayleigh test, I wonder, 'a secret test' before the 'official' tests at Wimbledon?

I have had another look at the site and its stills of the Atom Racer.

In the top left corner, it does say Wimbledon Stadium and gives a date as November 1955?

This really is becoming a mystery. I cannot recognise the stadium as Wimbledon, but could it be before the Grandstand was rebuilt?

Another mystery that needs an answer. It's always great when something like this happens.

PS: Just a thought - could this track be Tongham Stadium at Aldershot?

Edited by speedyguy