British Speedway Forum

Has anyone ever seen a speedway parade without any riders before?

I have never seen a parade go so flat as Saturday's. The parade is usually the loudest part of the evening, where you get to see all the riders. All we saw was a big car. I'm not going to wave my flag at an oversized yank mobile.

Did anyone else find this a bit strange & disapointing?

I spoke to Colin Meredith about the Hummer and said exactly the same as you, it was a parade with no riders he agreed.

Although there is one forum member that wont agree she thought it was excellent :wink:

Edited by shazzybird

I thought the Hummer was a complete and utter disaster.

At first i thought the top would peel off to reveal the riders once the beast had got onto the track, but no, it went around to a bemused and fairly silent crowd who thought it a crap idea.

If they had used the normal method of the riders being towed en masse behind a tractor etc, the roof would have come off the stadium with the noise.

Don't know who thought up the idea but it didn't work big time.

Certainly from the vantage point of my armchair the limo just didn't appeal at all. There again, neither do tractors, pick-up trucks, delapidated lorries or any of the other thousand modus operandi by which riders are paraded around Britain's speedway tracks.

I say keep it simple. Riders should parade on their bikes - helmets off. The crowd, particularly the youngsters, want to SEE these guys.

So - what ideas can we come up with then for next year, apart from the simple one from Ian, which is always a good idea.

I like the idea of pony and trap - especially if pony decides to do what ponies do on journeys. Would make the track more interesting for the racing to follow!!! :lol:

So - what ideas can we come up with then for next year, apart from the simple one from Ian, which is always a good idea.

I like the idea of pony and trap - especially if pony decides to do what ponies do on journeys. Would make the track more interesting for the racing to follow!!!  :lol:

It would make it a bit slippery espescialy on the TURD bend.HA! HA HA! Edited by shaky

Don't really see why it needs to be "Americanised"

Riders, no helmets, trikes was good.  This one fell flat big time and the problems it caused was hilarious.

i agree, the hummer even struggled getting out ouf the pits. the scene was set the tension had mounted the fans were expectant and the blinkin humer/limo took an age to come out of the pits, i didnt know wheter to laugh or feel ashamed

Edited by superjoe