British Speedway Forum

Next Year's Gp

Sorry to add a sour note to what should have been a great occasion but I feel I must.

This year, we had the best seats we have ever had. The view was superb. Well, it was for some of the GP.

Some Swedish supporters, who had obviously had far too much to drink, managed to make themselves as objectionable as it is possible to get to all sitting around us. They were blocking everyone's view, standing in the aisle and sitting in the seats that had been cordoned off. It appeared that they had decided that the seats they were supposed to be in, in another part of the Stadium, were not good enough for them so they just moved.

The stewards were complete Muppets who left these supporters alone and completely ignored the complaints of other supporters. Apologies to Muppets everywhere for this insult. Even when we were assaulted by these supporters, me by being hit around the head when I complained and my son by being hit several times with their flag, the stewards could not care less. Never, in many years of attending speedway meetings has anything so unpleasant ever happened to me before. I understand people getting excited and wanting to enjoy themselves, but to do so to the exclusion of others around is the height of bad behaviour.

It seems the best way to get good seats at Cardiff is to wear a Swedish shirt, have large flags, be falling down drunk, be as objectionable to everyone else as possible and just go and sit/stand wherever you like.

Raises a question about policing and stewarding for these events. Where are the stewards recruited and how are they trained? And more to the point, are BSI required to fund policing for these events to have troublemakers thrown out if the stewards don't do their job? I guess if there are no arrests the police would simply say that everyone was well-behaved and they weren't needed! :angry:

If I were you, OS, I'd write to BSI, the Millennium stadium and the local police to object in the strongest terms. May not have any effect but at least they'll have a formal warning on record.

I remember seeing them and wondered how come they got that far down without the stewards saying anything. Just before the final we had some Polish fans come and take over the seats in front of us, they jumped up and no one could see the race we just asked them to sit down and they did until the presentation then they did it again and again, they were ok though I would of been the same if Scott or Floppy had made the rostrum. Spoke to them afterwards they were the nice fans that I met last year in the pub so no angry words were exchanged but if they'd done it all meeting I might of pushed one of them (8 rows up hmmmmm they could of sat on Geminis' lap :wink: )

Thanks for your replies :)

LT, that was bit drastic, but nice LOL

I have complained in the strongest terms to the Millennium Stadium and shall be doing the same to BSI. To be fair to the police, they did as much as they could.

It annoys me that had I gone to Sweden and done the same, including assaulting one of their nationals, I would probably be waking up today in a cell waiting to go to court.

At least the Millennium Stadium and BSI cannot say that none of this happened, it is clearly shown on the Sky broadcast.

P.S Just seen the photo Phil. I was under that flag as was my son! That was taken towards the end when the stewards finally got off their backsides and did nothing instead of just sitting and doing nothing.

Edited by Old Saint

Old Saint, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the stewards but it's a bit unfair to tar them all with the same brush. Just to redress the balance I'd like to say in 5 years we have found the stewards to be helpful, considerate and more than helpful and without their help our party would find it very difficult to enjoy the GPs at the MS. Not had any dealings with the Heddlu tho :P .

Edited by Star Lady

So I take it drunken Swedes weren't lining the walls of the Welsh cells on Saturday night, OS?

Star Lady, the stewards in previous years have been excellent. However, the standards of those I encountered this year were appalling. Indeed, the police told us that the usual stewards were not on duty and that they were not very favourably impressed by the stewards this year.

Sadly, Andy, the police stated that realistically they could do nothing. As I was not gushing blood everywhere, it was not an arrestable offence. I got the impression that the police were glad to see the back of the Swedes as well.

Anyway, have complained to both the Stadium and Benfield. We shall see what, if anything, comes of it. I'll keep you informed.

Edited by Old Saint

No, I meant D&D really, but they probably figured that would be counterproductive too.

[quote name=

It annoys me that had I gone to Sweden and done the same' date=' including assaulting one of their nationals, I would probably be waking up today in a cell waiting to go to court.[/quote]

on a slightly different note my wife and I went to Parken last year and most of the crowd were totally pithed by the end, the English people were the exception!

I was on the lower tier fotr the first time in 5 years......never again.

thought Poole fans were bad when they had Trick in their team but the bl**dy Polish fans were 10 times worse , all pi**ed and kept getting up if one of their riders were leading on the first corner, middle tier again next year

Thanks for your replies  :)

At least the Millennium Stadium and BSI cannot say that none of this happened, it is clearly shown on the Sky broadcast.

P.S Just seen the photo Phil.  I was under that flag as was my son!  That was taken towards the end when the stewards finally got off their backsides and did nothing instead of just sitting and doing nothing.

If you want a witness i agree totally! I was close enough to be in the photo too, and agree entirely, got quite hostile and intimidating towards the end.

Raises a question about policing and stewarding for these events. 

talking of that. did anyone, at all, have their bags checked. we had 2 bags and there could have been anything in them. not even a quick look though.

was quite suprised, especially after events in italy this year.

on the whole though, motorsport fans in general seem to be very well behaved and very rarely cause any trouble at all :)

Really! I couldn't see anything going on from where I was in the middle tier and was shocked to see the picture posted. I'd be really p****d off to have those guys in front of me for any length of time. I wonder what the reaction would have been if you'd asked for a move up to empty seats in the middle or top tier when you couldn't see.

Witchnut

I wonder what the reaction would have been if you'd asked for a move up to empty seats in the middle or top tier when you couldn't see.

i am sure it is ok tho move to empty seats for a better view at least i hope it is as that is what me and a couple of mates did. our lower tier seats were duffers so we moved to the first bend third tier adn could see everything perfrctly

I wish that some Polish or Swedish fans had stood in front of me for the final - would've prevented me from having to go through the pain and torment of watching Hans slip from 2nd to 4th... :blink:

Thank you all for your posts. You have confirmed that it really was as bad as it seemed and not just my imagination.

My son informs me that the Stadium authorities are not best pleased by what went on so perhaps they will take some kind of action.

I apologise if I have seemed to go over the top on this but I was really livid about the events.

• 2 weeks later...

An update to my original post.

I wrote to BSI and the Millennium Stadium authorities and I am pleased to say that I got a very swift reply from BSI. Unfortunately, I have still not had even an acknowledgement from the Stadium.

From the correspondence I have had with BSI, I am certain that BSI DO listen to fans and take steps to deal with any problems.

In my humble opinion, a good test of just how excellent a company is, is the way that they handle complaints. My experience leads me to say that BSI are an excellent company.

Before anyone thinks otherwise, I have no connection with BSI whatsoever but I do believe in giving credit where it is due and in my case, this company is certainly due credit.