British Speedway Forum

One for leicester fans - hope its not too depressing

howling gorgon

The biggest memory I have of Ray Wilson is taking Martin Ashby on the last bend in the British Final and condemning my hero to reserve in the 1975 World Final. I still haven't forgiven him!

Great memories Liontamer, have you still got the leathers, which ones were they, the blue ones with the stripes, those red ones with the chequred patern or the "BOSTIK" yellow ones ? do you know what Ray`s doing now ? Hey Grachan, The British final you mention, that was my favorate Willy memory, in those days only 4 riders qualified and Ray was knocked off in his first ride by Simmo, that meant he needed at least 11 from his remaining 4 rides, he rode like a demon only loosing to Tiger Louis, and tied on 11 with Crashby, the run off was fantastic Martin leading for most of the way but world cup Willy took the win, breathtaking ! H, I think Martin Rogers moved to Austrailias gold coast not long after Leicester closed, the most recent talk of a track in Leicester was the Saffron lane sports centre but we`ll belive it when it happens !

Great memories Liontamer, have you still got the leathers, which ones were they, the blue ones with the stripes, those red ones with the chequred patern or the "BOSTIK" yellow ones ? do you know what Ray`s doing now ?

The red ones with the chequered pattern, They were provided by a sponsor & he always hated them. I always regret selling them. Ray is now semi-retired, but still does a bit of HGV driving. Dosen't go to speedway nowadays though. 8)

• 2 weeks later...
Found this via speedwayplus.co.uk

http://community.webshots.com/album/19841295yaPObOapts.

Bring back any memories?

Who is the little girl?

Thanks for the memories. Mine go back even further than Ray Wilson. To his dad Ron in the 1950s. Pedlar Palmer, Harwood Pike, Lionel Benson, Jack Geran, Johnny? Beaumont. Come on you old timers give me some more names. Even a few of the last leg trailers Phil? Bishop. They used to fight for the FENCE not the white line. Gone but not quite forgotten :cry:

Yipee....Someone who goes back as far as me. :D

Johnny (?) Beaumont was actually Les. Bet you remember now.

Others from the Hunters - Vic Pitcher, Len Williams, Jock Grierson, Jack Winstanley, Johnnie Carpenter, Joe Bowkis, Charlie Barsby, Cyril Page, Jack Mountford, Roy Bester, Dennis Parker, Gordon McGregor, Ron Phillips, Johnnie Green, Alf Hagon, Harry Bastable, Bryan Elliott and not forgetting the most successful of the lot Ken McKinlay (whilst they were called the Hunters.)

There were of course many, many others.

Oooh! I am coming over all nostalgic. Thanks for that. :lol:

& to think it's now been reduced to hundreds of Barretts crappy little overpriced cardboard boxes. (Bitter? Me? Too *%#@ing right I am). :cry:

Quite right Liontamer, I drive past most days and my memories are stired

:-(

• 2 weeks later...

Small world--When I was old enough to go back to speedway on my own after losing my dad really young it was the Exeter BL season when Exeter took someones licence after they had closed--Im sure it was Leicesters and we had to take the Thursday night race night that went along with the licence--is that right??

I seem to remember that there was a big fuss at the time cos the Grahame brothers refused to sign even though they were part of the deal.

I may be wrong and would be interested to know--and it is a small world when the likelyhood is that over the next few years the county ground will be replaced by a similiar set up of starter homes etc if the rugby club relocate after the speedway leaves.......sad days :-(