British Speedway Forum

Rick Miller

Ross

We watched the Bees season video's from 1991 and 1192 on Friday evening, with Rick doing the talking in between highlights. Looked like he was reading from an autocue?

Can you remember if this was the case Rick?

Can I remember, lol, I will never forget. We were a bunch of amateurs trying to do our best with almost no money, and of course thats when I learned I was better off not reading on camera, which is quite a talent in itself. To this day I am afraid to watch my performances on those end of season videos.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Rick, My brother is taking the pee out of me as he doesn't think you are The rick miller !! he keep sending text`s saying he is ole olsen !! (very funny)

got any idea`s how i can prove to him you are him ?

got another question or two as well

* What was it like Having Roman Matousek as a team-mate?

* When you decided to retire how long was it before you moved back to the states, did you sell all your gear?, from what you said in a previous post i take it you took a bike over with you.

cheers

Ross

Come on, the answer is easy, having Roman for a team mate is better than having him against you. There were plenty of fun stories with Roman on the team also. I always remember this one more than the others involving Roman. We had raced at Bellvue on a Friday night so when we gathered at Coventry the next night the big story was that he didn't get home till 9:00 in the morning it may have been later as I don't remember the little details. Roman and his mechanic were still fairly new to England, especially his mechanic so anyway they left Bellvue for Coventry. With the mechanic driving, they got on the motorway, Roman went to sleep, well several hours later Roman awoke to ask if they were home yet. The were both trying to figure out where they were and how close to home they were, only for Roman to recognize the signs that said they were way up in Scotland and now a six hour drive back home.

As far as your brother not believing, well that doesn't matter anyway. As long as Rabbit knows whats up. Oh yeah, and did keep one bike, might have to trade it in for a laydown one of these days.

Roman sure was a fantastic for entertainment value but i can`t imagine being out on a track with him !!

I was talking to my dad about chatting to you on here and he was saying he can remember your first season over here in 83 i think he said it was, which was ole`s last season. He recalled how you found the tracks hard to start with as they were much bigger than the one`s in the usa, however at the end of meeting there were always loads of people waiting for your autograph as the effort you put in really made an impression on the Coventry fans.

I have on video the match against Cradley Heath in that 83 season when Tommy went out in heat 13 and got a 4-2 with Gary Guglimi (sorry about spelling) and the bees won 40-38 and you and Ole with Mick Bell running onto the track to give Tommy the bumps !!! I was at that meeting but i can`t remember much as i was only little but from the video the place was packed and the atmopsphere was great. I also have the eppisode of Chips with you in with Bruce.

It is a shame that the fans or you got a chance to say goodbye, least we know what you are upto and if you ever do come over at any stage and have a free evening i`m sure a supporters club would be more than intrested.

Snowing here in sunny England !!

sure you are not having to many snow showers over there are you mate

speak to you soon Rick

Ross

Edited by Ross

I missed all this :oops: good to hear from you rick and see you're doing so well, that photo on the first page of the thread brings back some good memories :D

love from my mum and dad too (still same old = never see dad unless you go out to shed and watch him tune engines, mum still mum busy lookling after everyone mainly me :oops: )

Kerry B

Pleased to confirm that Rick has answered our call and already been in touch with the Backtrack office. We're going to hook up soon for a phone interview (Backtrack expenses won't cover the return air fare to California, more's the pity!).

Hopefully the interview will go in the next issue...

I missed all this :oops: good to hear from you rick and see you're doing so well, that photo on the first page of the thread brings back some good memories :D

love from my mum and dad too (still same old = never see dad unless you go out to shed and watch him tune engines, mum still mum busy lookling after everyone mainly me :oops: )

Kerry B

Great to hear from you. Love to you and your parents, hope to see you guys soon.

Rick

Do you ever look out for how the Bees have been doing or is it a case of the past is the past and with the new adventures in your career take you away from the sport. Had a quick look on ebay and you have a program from your testimonial up for grabs.

Ross...You are beginning to sound like a stalker.

Leave him alone. :P

Just make sure you buy the next issue of the Backtrack magazine and you'll be able to read everything you need to know about Rick.

And I'm not on commission. :lol:

Hej Rick!

Saw you a couple of times in Sweden then you raced for Örnarna.

Remember reading somewhere then you left Örnarna what you had a speak in swedish. Remember that?

Got any memories of Sweden?

Take care!

Mikael Johnsson

Eskilstuna

Sweden

Hej Rick!

Saw you a couple of times in Sweden then you raced for Örnarna.

Remember reading somewhere then you left Örnarna what you had a speak in swedish. Remember that?

Got any memories of Sweden?

Take care!

Mikael Johnsson

Eskilstuna

Sweden

Hej Mikael,

I loved racing in Sweden. Riding for Ornarna and travelling around Sweden with Kelvin were some of the best of my time racing in Europe. The tracks are all first class, safe and great bunch of people enjoying the speedway. As you can see, I can't say enough good things about Swedish speedway. Also, I do remember the last championship celebration for winning the Swedish league with help from Lars Hammarberg I learned my speech in swedish and had everyone laughing, very nice experience.

Thanks Rick for the quick answer. Yeah those memories are great to remember.

Must ask you: Are you regretting something about your speedwaycareer? Are there things you could have done better..?

What was the best with speedway? Whats was the worse?

Take Care

Mikael

Hey Rick, hows things ? Have u seen the bees website? they are showing highlights from the practice. Hope u r ok and you reply soon.

C ya

Hey,

Things are good. Just did a hundred mile bike ride/race in Death Valley last weekend then Solvang the following weekend and they went well. Raining over here, fairly unusuall wet winter (in fact record amounts of rain this season) but all good other than that. Is the link still up to the practice on the bees website.

Rick

Death valley !!! sounds great. sounds like you must stay pretty fit. Shame about the weather over there bus as you know all to well that the weather over here in sunny Coventry is not great. Take care and try and catch up when u get time again soon

Ross