British Speedway Forum

NEW LEAGUE FOR YOUNGSTERS

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt stay behind to watch it after a meeting myself and what about lack of sleep if they have school in the morning or going to a meeting after school -kids get tired and this can cause accidents.

I think the idea is that the league runs on Saturdays and Sundays, plus during the school holidays.

Keep this in perspective - we aren't talking about a 20 team league here! Haven't seen any numbers quoted, but I'd be surprised if it was more than 5 or 6 in the first season.

I wouldnt stay behind to watch it after a meeting myself

Why not? These kids could be the future and everyone should try and support them as much as possible.

Well, me too, but different people have different attitudes.

I know someone who goes to the GPs - but rarely domestic racing. He says he ONLY wants to see the best riders, racing at their best - and that rarely happens in the Elite League because riders are trying out engines, conserving their energy for GPs etc.

Personally, I'll go to watch any level of speedway - anywhere, any time!

Yeah we do get tired after school but then again on our last race in a day of training we're tired and it doesn't really cause accidents.To be honest i'm really looking forward to doing second halves or races after meetings because i get a chance to race with a bigger crowd.And with school the day after lack of sleep only applies to younger kids because teenagers like myself can cope with not alot of sleep.I mostly stay at speedway after meetings for quite a while and watch the second halves and things so to me it wouldn't be that tiring but i suppose it depends. :rolleyes:

The Swedes etc have small training tracks inside their venues like at Swindon and do not have greyhounds to worry about.These training tracks can be used without inconveniencing proffesional racing at all.The promoters and trainers are willing to,and do run tuition on evenings and weekends for various rider abilities of all age groups and engine sizes. This country does have the venues for this to be succesfull but promoters/venue owners do not want to get involved.Also a licensed training officer would have to be available and medical services are a must so the expence increases.For example the set up at Swindon was near perfect (pre Elite) when Oakes and Togood had an hour on the training track before every meet and kids were flying round.The tracks that are open for winter training only do it for financial gain and scouting.During the race season venues that do offer so called second half rides do try,but kids sit from 6pm till 9-10pm hoping to get 4 or 8 laps at the end of the night.This inevietably is a dangerous procedure because they are bored, tired, and try hard to impress thus making accidents a common occurence.So the only way kids can get better is to spend the winter travelling the whole country paying £20 to £40 for a sundays practice session when 90% of the time they ride round on their own.The under 15s will only be succesful with the help,support and cooperation of all clubs (and not just conference).Peter Oakes is the man for making this race series happen and to make the under15s league succesful it is proposed that each team has a mixture of abilities and ages.It will not be succesful if one team has all the best under 15s because the opposing kids will back out.The race dates have to be in the school holidays or at the weekend and must not clash with important Youth Grasstrack meets both in the UK and Europe.

Got to be the way forward .

Anything to encourage youngsters to the sport can only help team G.B

in the long term .

Agree it is not a quick fix.

But is definitely a good start .

Hope a lot of Promoters will find time and money to help this idea .

Edited by tony159

The latest from Mr Oakes is....

Hopes to have eight teams of four riders

Teams will NOT be attached to any specific track

Meetings to be staged at as many tracks as possible

Run side-by-side with the Under 15 Championship

No tac subs, no ex for tapes (all programmed rides taken unless thru injury or mechanical probs)

Principally at weekend and school holidays

The new league is hoping to hold an open day on Tuesday March 29th at Buxton (10am) for any rider interested in racing in the competition, the only restriction being he/she must hold or be ready to take out a 500cc licence (I'm sure Jayme will let us know if this is going ahead)

Guest SwineTown
Hopes to have eight teams of four riders

Teams will NOT be attached to any specific track

Meetings to be staged at as many tracks as possible

Run side-by-side with the Under 15 Championship

No tac subs, no ex for tapes (all programmed rides taken unless thru injury or mechanical probs)

Principally at weekend and school holidays

Is this "official" - very promising structure. Is a new website gonna be set up for this now the official CL site(which included the U15 stuff) has been withdrawn?

This is the direction he hopes the league will take.

I like the one where all riders take their programmed rides unless injury or bike problems stop them. Hopefully this will help to bring on the younger, less experienced ones quicker by giving them as many rides as possible.